• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Android Appreciation Thread

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The phone interface is far superior to some generic headunit controls so that doesn't matter. Notice how you don't hear about jailbroken androids? It's because google doesn't lock there shit down to the point of uselessness like apple does. Sure apple is good if you know nothing and just want something as is, but they are still only on par with android BUT, android can be rooted and modded sooooo easily. Plus, overclocking an android phone doesn't seem to hurt anything. Try that i-phone.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
The phone interface is far superior to some generic headunit controls so that doesn't matter. Notice how you don't hear about jailbroken androids? It's because google doesn't lock there shit down to the point of uselessness like apple does. Sure apple is good if you know nothing and just want something as is, but they are still only on par with android BUT, android can be rooted and modded sooooo easily. Plus, overclocking an android phone doesn't seem to hurt anything. Try that i-phone.
I agree. I did a lot of talking to users of both and decided the Droid X was the phone for me. My buddy's Iphone has been jailbroken and it drops calls all the time. I couldn't handle that.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what difference does it make? jailbreaking is not hard and anyone who wants a jailbroken phone has one... a huge difference is the fact that the apple apps are actually screened before they hit the app store, unlike android who will approve any app, to be sold in the market place... there are NO apps on the app store that don't work... there are, however, a lot of crappy apps...

overclocking on an iphone works just fine also, i know a few people who have done it... the biggest thing is you don't NEED to overclock an iphone...

i thought this was the android appreciation thread, and not the "lets discuss how android is inferior to iphone" thread

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
my first smart phone was the LG ally, my gf accidentally washed my ole flip phone after our haloween party ended in me puking in her truck and on myself. I dont blame her for not checking the pockets but i wasnt really prepared to buy a new phone so i got the entry level android phone. it was cool for about 3 weeks while i was learning how everything worked and seeing all the cool stuff it could do, but then it started locking up and acting retarted, so i took it in and they defected it and shipped me another one. after 2 months of using the new phone the ear piece speaker burned out, so i went back and they warrantied that one and i got yet another ally. this happened 2 more times for a total of 4 defective phones in 6 months. I was pretty dissatisfied by this point so after explaining my story to the guy at the verizon store, i finally was able to talk to someone in the warranty department and was able to get them to upgrade me to a certified pre-owned Droid 2 and now i couldnt be happier. it would be nice if it had a higher mAh battery, but since ive got the car dock and the multimedia dock ive always got a source of power handy. heres some pics of my car dock, it works great for music and navigation as well as taking calls through the trucks stereo. I do wish there was an option to plug a flash drive into the phone and view or share the files, but i guess thats why they still sell computers.

i took these pics with the ally, before they shipped me the battery for the droid 2. Because the phones and the batteries come from 2 different places, i got the phone on saturday morning and was excited as hell to be rid of the ally, but i had to wait until tuesday for the battery to show up.

these pics i just took with the droid 2

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Proud owner of a samsung captivate (att flavor galaxy s.) i'll be honest, i bought it for the screen. I've yet to see any screen of any size or application outperform a samsung screen.

As for the andriod os, i'm running 2.2 and hate it. Everything i loved about 2.1 is gone. Hopefully whatever is next will be better than froyo.
Weird, what in 2.1 isn't there is 2.2? Going from 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3 shouldn't be all that different except performance boosts. Yes it does add little things but it should work the same.

what difference does it make? jailbreaking is not hard and anyone who wants a jailbroken phone has one... a huge difference is the fact that the apple apps are actually screened before they hit the app store, unlike android who will approve any app, to be sold in the market place... there are NO apps on the app store that don't work... there are, however, a lot of crappy apps...

overclocking on an iphone works just fine also, i know a few people who have done it... the biggest thing is you don't NEED to overclock an iphone...

i thought this was the android appreciation thread, and not the "lets discuss how android is inferior to iphone" thread
The main thing and the deciding factor android phones have over iphones atleast here in the USA is the carrier. You could not pay me to switch to at&t if you gave me a million dollars. Now that the iphone is on Verizon that is a bit different but going from sprint to Verizon would be an increase of $30 on my phone bill. The Iphone is a neat phone that should not be overlooked, but apple chooses unfavorable companies to do business with, you have to pay an arm and a leg just to use one. Not to mention the crap ass software you have to use on the computer.

Also i am rocking a Samsung Moment, rooted running 2.2. My brother has a EVO running Cynogenmod 7 and occasionally Honeycomb.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score

i thought this was the android appreciation thread, and not the "lets discuss how android is superior to iphone" thread
^fixed

the main thing for me is that android is based off of free, open source software. if i wanted to, i could download the coding and make whatever changes i want, then redistribute it without repercussions. last i heard with apple, they wanted to make it a crime to jailbreak their phone.

i'm a techy just as much as i like working on my truck, and was severely limited by the iPhone and it's software. purchasing a $99 developer's "kit" to make apps makes no sense to me, especially since Apple can deny my hard work from appearing on their precious App store.

i don't feel the need[/i] to overclock my streak, but that doesn't mean i don't want to. the 3g iPhone was so slow, i could mail a letter faster than i could send a text. the 3gs was an improvement, but still would get bogged down trying to open an email, or switch apps. in my eyes, fiddling with my phone is like modding my truck. it works good from the factory, but i want to make it mine. also, the inability for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to support Flash have been the biggest crippling factor of those products over an Android powered phone. "real internet" that they marketed their phones as having includes the ability to support flash.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

You don't NEED to overclock the androids either. AND they can run multiple apps at once. And as far as there being no issues, tell that to my apple fanboy friends that have dead iphones. The apps? There are reviews and if you haven't heard of any bad apps for apple you either aren't looking or you are ignoring it.

irishblessing

i have a T mobile Samsung Galaxy S and im looking into rooting it any suggestions on the best way to do this?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
You don't NEED to overclock the androids either. AND they can run multiple apps at once. And as far as there being no issues, tell that to my apple fanboy friends that have dead iphones. The apps? There are reviews and if you haven't heard of any bad apps for apple you either aren't looking or you are ignoring it.
lol, we'll keep it clean.
i like androids.. they are not much different than my iPhone honestly. yes, you have to jailbreak an iphone to do somethings you don't have to on a normal android. its just like Linux vs Windows or Mac. open source vs not... it doesn't make much difference.

sony(or someone) is suppose to be making android compatible headunits soon.. meaning data cable to phone and it works like my iPhone and data cable work w/ my headunit.. that'll be a step in the right direction for it.

the main mobile OS i don't like is Windows crap... :D

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
lol, we'll keep it clean.
i like androids.. they are not much different than my iPhone honestly. yes, you have to jailbreak an iphone to do somethings you don't have to on a normal android. its just like Linux vs Windows or Mac. open source vs not... it doesn't make much difference.

sony(or someone) is suppose to be making android compatible headunits soon.. meaning data cable to phone and it works like my iPhone and data cable work w/ my headunit.. that'll be a step in the right direction for it.

the main mobile OS i don't like is Windows crap... :D
+1. WM6 made me swear it off forever.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my point about overclocking is that there is no reason to... ios is designed for the iphone... that's it... (or the ipad, or the itouch) it's spesific to the model... the iphone 3gs runs a different version of ios than iphone 4, or iphone 3g, or even the 2g... where as android makes their OS for a genaric phone, and with all of the different phones, it doesn't run 100% proper on any of them... which is where overclocking comes into play, it makes the phone run faster to try to take up the slack between the os, and the hardware... because the ios is designed spesifically for the device it's run on, there isn't that clash, and overclocking isn't needed...

as for the apps, i honestly have not downloaded a single app that just didn't work... there's a lot of dumb apps that don't really do anything, but no "broken" apps that i've encountered...

additionally with apps, does it really matter how many apps there are, as long as there are apps to do everything you want it to?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I agree. I did a lot of talking to users of both and decided the Droid X was the phone for me. My buddy's Iphone has been jailbroken and it drops calls all the time. I couldn't handle that.
i don't drop calls??? jailbroken iPhone 3g.. before. and a 4 now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals