• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The 2019 'Loan Ranger', and 2019 Ranger Adventure

Jerry Schmidt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Jerry! I enjoyed following you on Instagram. Great photos and videos.

I just started adding video from the last leg of my ride this week.

I have two guys here that want to do part of the TAT on motorcycles. One's in Pennsylvania, and the other is in Indiana (@Will @bobbywalter). I told them if they had limited time and could only do part of it, to do New Mexico and Colorado. What would be your recommendation?
How much time do they have? If I know that, I can go through my notes and come up with a couple good trips for them. I am watching your videos, its funny to watch the trip in 'reverse'. Thanks for the links to our Facebook and Instagram too! JS.

Also, somehow I screwed my username, can that be changed to read Jerry Schmidt? Thanks. JS.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
SEMA Show 2019

The Ranger is going back to Ford today. I need to finish this story, I've just been really busy.

ARB and Cooper Tire contacted me and asked if I was taking the Loan Ranger to SEMA this year. For me, I'm chalking that up as a win. I think the fact that I have manufacturers contacting me about taking the Ranger to SEMA shows that the Loan Ranger has not only been receiving exposure and getting noticed, but that there's interest in its story, and the adventure's it's been on.

I have to admit that all the money and miles I spent sometimes feel like they were for nothing. But at least this tells me that people have noticed, and some people see the marketing opportunities that were created. If Ford doesn't feel like they received anything positive out of this........it's definitely not my fault.

More importantly, I feel like I've learned a lot about the new Ranger, and have a pretty good understanding of its features.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
How much time do they have? If I know that, I can go through my notes and come up with a couple good trips for them. I am watching your videos, its funny to watch the trip in 'reverse'. Thanks for the links to our Facebook and Instagram too! JS.

Also, somehow I screwed my username, can that be changed to read Jerry Schmidt? Thanks. JS.
Consider it done.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You've had one helluva year, Jim. Congratulations and thanks for all you have shared with us.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How to make 6 months feel like it went fast...

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Trans America Trail Videos (Oklahoma to Tennessee):

So it's finally over. I've done all of the Trans America Trail by finishing the sections from Oklahoma to Tennessee in August. I went back and added the videos for each day, but I'll link them all here for anyone that's curious and already read my posts.

August 13th, 2019:

August 14th, 2019:

August 15th, 2019:

August 16th, 2019:

August 17th, 2019:

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The Final Trans America Trail Numbers

In June, I drove 3,880 miles exploring the Trans America Trail and surrounding areas. 1,861 of those miles were off pavement.

In August I drove 1,517 miles exploring the Trans America Trail and surrounding areas. 480 of those miles were off pavement.

That means that I drove 5,397 miles exploring the Trans America Trail, and spent 2,341 miles off pavement.

These do not include the miles I spent driving from Texas to hit the trail, and the return trips home.

These numbers will vary from person to person that does this trip. Some venture off the trail to see other areas, get food, gas, or find a place to sleep. Some areas have the option of newer or older routes, and sometimes you have to detour because of a trail / road closure.

If anyone is curious, World Atlas states that the continental United States is 2,680 miles wide.

Now that I've checked that off the list, I still want to do the Continental Divide. I don't think Ford is going to loan me a Ranger for that. LOL. That means I have to find a way to make TRS-2 more reliable.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The 2019 Loan Ranger and Towing
So about the only thing I hadn't done with the Loan Ranger was tow something. But that was on the list.

After completing the Trans America Trail, I stopped for dinner, and started driving towards Pennsylvania. My 1996 Ford Ranger was in northeast Pennsylvania, and I needed to tow it to an event in Ohio, and then tow it home to Texas. I stopped in Virginia for the night, and then went to visit TRS Forum Staff Member fastpakr the next morning.

After spending a few hours with him and his family, I was back on the road to Pennsylvania to visit Bobbywalter, and eventually free his garage of my Ranger.

On September 5th I finally towed my 1996 Ford Ranger (TRS-2) to our 20th Anniversary Trail Ride in Ohio. And then on September 11th I finally started the two day drive towing the TRS-2 Ranger back to Texas with the 2019 Loan Ranger.

The yellow strap is hooked to the frame of the Ranger and tightened so the suspension doesn't bounce up and down going down the road.

I was confident that the 2019 Ranger would have the power to tow my Ranger, but I was concerned about it's braking abilities. The new Ranger can tow 7,500 lbs, but that assumes that the trailer has brakes. This U-Haul dolly didn't have brakes, and my Ranger weighs over 4,000 lbs. Plus the bed of the new ranger was loaded with camping gear, tools, and large jack stands.

Fortunately, the new Ranger didn't have any trouble pulling it, and did a really good job of stopping it. I was careful and left plenty of room between me and the traffic in front of me, and kept a watchful eye for curves and upcoming intersections.

The new Ranger averaged 11.6 MPG going from Ohio to Arkansas, and then 11.4 MPG from Arkansas to Texas. Not sure why it got worse. I had to go up and down a lot of hills crossing Kentucky and Tennessee, and expected better MPG when I got to Arkansas. It had started averaging it's way back up towards 11.6 MPG, but then stop and go traffic in Texas started killing it.

Last edited:

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What would it take to persuade you to take all of your adventure pictures and put them into a single file, available for download? Yes, watermark them, of course. If Microsoft still accepted theme uploads for Windows, I'd suggest uploading a theme to them called "Ranger Adventure". I'd download that, and use it, for sure!

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Time To Strip The Loan Ranger And Return It
With my 6-month loan of the 2019 Ford Ranger coming to an end, I needed to remove the decals, lighting, and tires that I added.

Here's the Ranger stripped of everything except the Cooper Discoverer STT PRO tires.

And here it is with the factory tires back on it.

Special Thanks To:
I want to thank Ford Motor Company for giving me the opportunity to drive the new Ranger for 6-months, and to do all of the things I did with it.

I also want to thank Cooper Tire for contributing the Cooper Discoverer STT PRO tires (including a spare). Nothing against Hancook, but I knew I would be dealing with harsh conditions, and needed to be prepared for the worst case scenario . I wanted an aggressive off-road tire, and chose the Coopers because I had used them on another vehicle for an adventure I took in 2017.

The Cooper Discoverer STT PRO tires did so well yet again, that I bought a set to replace the BFGoodrich Mud Terrains on my 1996 Ford Ranger.

The Story Is Over
Ford came and picked up the 2019 Ford Ranger this afternoon. It's time to move on to new projects, and new adventures.

Final Thoughts:
I feel like I've discussed so much about this truck over the last 6-months, and that I'm just repeating myself.

LOVE:

The styling
Comfort
Size
Terrain Management
Tail Control
Adaptive Cruise Control
Power, performance, and handling
Locking rear differential
The big display / rear camera
Stereo quality
Ford Pass (phone app - love this!)
12-volt outlet in the bed (even though this truck didn't have it)

DISLIKE:

My knee has a tendency to hit the large headlight switch when I get in and out of the truck. I leave the headlights in auto, but sometimes my knee bumps it out and I don't realize it. I've ended up driving for a while at night a few times with just daytime running lights.

The 4WD switch on the dash is a rotary knob, is easy easy to turn, and doesn't have any stops. You can turn it 360 degrees all day long. I've bumped it in to 4HI before on pavement. I've also turned it to far trying to switch to 4WD on a tough trail, and had to stop and find the correct position. It should be more defined with stops you can't pass.

The lack of rear tow hooks.

The lack of a front limited slip or locking differential with the FX4 package.

SUGGESTIONS:

Add upfitter switches to all of your FX4 model trucks. Right now they are only available on the Ford Super Duty, and have been since around 2010. These are prewired switches for adding auxiliary lighting and accessories.

Add a front locker option on 4WD models.

Add rear tow hooks.

Offer a more aggressive tire option. The new Ranger comes with Hancook Dynapro all-terrains. They also make a mud-terrain. I'm already seeing new Ranger owners ditching their new stock tires for a more aggressive tire. Consumers shouldn't have to spend $1,000++ on new tires after spending $40k on a new truck.

Offer a winch mounting plate built in to the front bumper on 4WD models.

GOOD JOB - MORE SUGGESTIONS:

Good job on offering a leveling kit on the 4WD trucks. It shows you're moving in the right direction.

But let's go further. How about creating a FX4 Level II and include the leveling kit (lift), a taller and more aggressive tire, upfitter switches, a front locker, rear tow hooks, and a spot to mount a winch behind the front bumper, and start leaving Chevy and Toyota behind. Even give Jeep some good competition. Why follow the pack, when you could lead it.

GET MORE INVOLVED:

SEMA now has a section for overlanding vehicles. I had (2) companies contact me to see if I was taking the Loan Ranger there this year. This was a missed opportunity. You (Ford) give companies trucks to customize and take to SEMA that are never actually seen being used out on the street / trail.

Henry Ford said that "You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do". You could have sent this Ranger to SEMA with a story.

You need to become more informed about overlanding, and more familiar with events such as Overland Expo, as well as understand what things like the Trans America Trail (TAT), and Continental Divide Trail are. Land Rover has done these trails. They don't just tell people what they can do. They send their vehicles out there and show people what they can do. They even offer offroad courses and let people drive their vehicles on them to see how capable they are.

Land Rover has a reputation for building adventure vehicles that can go anywhere.

Jeep has a reputation for building off-road vehicles.

Toyota has a huge reputation for not only off-road vehicles, but for overlanding / adventure vehicles as well.

Ford has a reputation for building trucks and a Mustang. :dntknw:

I'll say it again. You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do, or in this case, what you say your vehicles can do.

Get them out there and show people what they can do. I did the whole Trans America Trail on my own dime. That was an opportunity that your marketing department lost out on. Work with experienced enthusiasts to promote your product. That doesn't mean give us a vehicle and expect us to do all the work. We don't have the resources you do. It should be a combined effort.

I'm not paid by Ford to give a shit. You pay people to give a shit. I'm not one of them. I do so by choice, and it's genuine.

Now then. I don't have a degree, and I'm not an engineer. So you guys should be able to knock this out of the park. :derisive:

Please don't see this as some type of cocky arrogance. I've promoted the Ranger for 20 years because I care. I've taken the time to type this here because I care. And I've never asked for compensation for caring.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
What would it take to persuade you to take all of your adventure pictures and put them into a single file, available for download? Yes, watermark them, of course. If Microsoft still accepted theme uploads for Windows, I'd suggest uploading a theme to them called "Ranger Adventure". I'd download that, and use it, for sure!
Man, there's so many.

I could possibly do that.

I've also wondered if there was a way to consolidate my videos down to one 30-minute video.

When I stopped and saw Percy on the TAT stop in Arkansas, he had uploaded the photos he takes of people, and had them printed in a hardback book through a company online. I thought of doing that for myself.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Man, there's so many.

I could possibly do that.

I've also wondered if there was a way to consolidate my videos down to one 30-minute video.

When I stopped and saw Percy on the TAT stop in Arkansas, he had uploaded the photos he takes of people, and had them printed in a hardback book through a company online. I thought of doing that for myself.
Thanks, Jim. I'll be eagerly waiting for that.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
awesome. i dont see this platform as priority, but i want one.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
awesome. i dont see this platform as priority, but i want one.
I wish I could turn the wobbling pile of rust I currently drive into one...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i mean priority for ford mo co......for me it is priority....

same chassis....2 versions.....1 powertrain.....40 grand.....dont need to sell a billion of them to make money..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals