• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

That *other* (Outer) 4x4 front hub O-ring!

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
OK, did not want to muddy up thee most excellent thread dealing with the 3.50" I.D. O-ring on the backside of the sealed front wheel bearings:

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/4x4-front-hub-o-ring.57238/ <<--must be sticky-ed or Tech Lib'd!

Instead I wanted to have a thread/post where the very resourceful and well-connected Ranger Intelligentsia (and Off-Road Studs... and Babes) go to list alternate sources for the other O-ring, the approx. 2.65" I.D. one on the front-side of duh hubs... thar she is... dividing the rusty part from the shiny part... eventually it meets the fate of all things rubbery.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If you're looking for replacements, my first thought is - ask the manufacturer. Otherwise, figure out the inner diameter and the thickness of the o-ring material. Then look it up on Google or some supplier like McMaster Carr.

What hub is that? I'm only familiar with the older style manual or auto hubs from the 80's and 90's on D28/D35/D44 ttb axles.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
The hub is from a '99 4x4 with the reviled (but actually quite strong) Pulsed Vacuum Hubs... in the process of overhauling mine... will be several weeks before I can borrow a caliper micrometer... just thought "The Gang" here would already know the dimensions...

Same hub-sealed-bearing unit was used on at least the 1998-2000 Rangers, and the 2001-2008 Mazda clones, which were all the PVH model years, AFAIK. But judging from the backside O-ring thread which inspired this one, it seems same hub was used on many other model years too, i.e. even withOUT vacuum, still need o-rings to keep "the world" out of your bearings.

Running around withOUT my PVH hub-lockers in place was allowing the right (longer) half-shaft to flop against the splines, causing vibrational mayhem (if you're bored, see: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/plot-thickens-death-wobble-afflicting-my-4x4-torsion-bars-ranger-missing-pvh-hubs-allow-half-shafts-to-flop-around.184602/

Last edited:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Sorry I haven't updated this thread.... "life gets in the way"... incl. brother with micrometer got "Da 'Rona"... :eek:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Foiled again... cheap-o ChiCom micrometer jaws not nearly long enough to reach over the lugs and get to the groove... will probably just get most likely NAPA candidate that's 3/32" thick... WILL REPORT BACK...

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Tentative: NAPA Part # BK 7272136 =
O Ring - Universal 2" I.D. X 2 3/16" O.D. X 3/32" W

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals