• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TFI Dist, MSD 8980, & Carb?

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused:Im not experienced or knowledgeable in the timing dept at all but guys here's the deal; I Just paid $150 for a used MSD Distributor to find out its a MSD TFI distributor(MSD 8456). Im running a carb so from what ive read this is not the ideal setup whatsoever because there will be no control of timing at all.
Can i make this work out? Im thinking use the MSD TFI dizzy, my MSD 6AL box, and get a MSD timing computer to control timing and retard it at startup. something like the MSD 8980, its got the startup retard and has a built in timing advance up until 3000RPM.
that or the adjustable timing control box: MSD 8680. It has a knob where you control the timing in the cab. I think the box with the built in advance is more ideal for what i need to get this thing to run proper?

Thank in advance guys. I really appreciate it, id be lost at times without this place :icon_thumby:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What distributor do you have in there now?

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
The motors not together yet so technically it doesnt have one. Other than the MSD distributor, i have 2stock TFI distributors which do me no good. Ones from the donor truck i had bought which had a swapped in carbed motor. Im assuming thats why the timing was a nightmare on it; having no advance or anything.

I've been searching the net and on corral i've seen a few guys talk about running the exact setup i mentioned (TFI>MSD 8980>MSD 6series box) and said it worked for them. So i think there may be hope. Still would love input from you guys with all your experience

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I would run a dura spark dist. from a 85 Mustang GT with a 5.0 and a four barrel carb. If you are running a roller cam then you are all good just drop it in but if you are running a flat tappet cam you will need to swap out this dist. drive gear. You can run a blue dura spark box or a MSD box and then you will be all good. It super easy to wire up and get it going to.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Just duraspark it get a three wire dizzy with a vacuum advance and either a duraspark or GM HEI module will give you all the fire and advance you will ever need. The simpler the better in my opinion.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You will need to match the gear on the dizzy to the same type metal as the cam either iron or steel.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah but i cant come across a decent used duraspark here and the parts store wants an arm and a leg because i dont have a core.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
cant you just get one at the bone yard like above Am I correct on the year of your engine is a 94.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Auto zone part numbers 30-2831 steel and 30-2899 iron that is for a 85 mustang with a four barrel carb and you can use any blue grommet duraspark module or GM HEI 4 wire module

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Have you tried the mustang forums to reasearch it further on the options you have I dont imagine there is much of a difference between the blocks but cant be for sure as far as measurements and oil pump drive

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
block is a 85 truck is a 94. I have both pump shafts so no biggie. and yeah ive been hanging around the mustang forums looking. I just found a semilocal add for a guy advertising a msd distributor and cap and wires all almost new for 150 so im waiting to hear if its the carb dist i need. if so ill just attempt to resell the tfi dist

oh and no boneyards here local. Live in a small town where everyone scraps everything that resembles metal lol

Last edited:

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
oh and no boneyards here local. Live in a small town where everyone scraps everything that resembles metal lol
Damn that sucks so much that I would move just becuse of that......LOL.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I was checking on ebay depending on your cam iron or steel there was one for $50 and up to $130 but all you need is the dizzy and you can change the gear to match the cam. Yea we have alot of bone yards here but carbed engines are almost a thing of the past. GL

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I don`t kinow much about msd dizzys does it have the TFI module mounted on it the ones I have seen are advanced electronically but a duraspark the vacuum counts for 10 degrees and the rest is mechanical using rpm

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
yeah TFI module is mounted on the dist. The semi-local sale fell through, already sold it. I may just have to attempt to resell this for what i have in it; that'd be the cheapest route and most reasonable if i can get my hands on what i need for about the same price

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals