• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TFI Dist, MSD 8980, & Carb?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would run a dura spark dist. from a 85 Mustang GT with a 5.0 and a four barrel carb. If you are running a roller cam then you are all good just drop it in but if you are running a flat tappet cam you will need to swap out this dist. drive gear. You can run a blue dura spark box or a MSD box and then you will be all good. It super easy to wire up and get it going to.
Why would you buy an 85 Stang distributor, then swap the steel gear off it, when 99.99% of the other Duraspark applications used an iron gear ?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah but i cant come across a decent used duraspark here and the parts store wants an arm and a leg because i dont have a core.
An arm and a leg here for a reman duraspark at any of the local parts houses is about $55. And you've got two cores in those TFI units.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
the core charge here when i asked was like 70some bucks alone! Think grand total was about 130 or so thus why i went with the msd for about the same cost. And i asked and they wouldnt take one of the TFI units as a core charge. maybe i was feed a bunch of bs?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
the core charge here when i asked was like 70some bucks alone! Think grand total was about 130 or so thus why i went with the msd for about the same cost. And i asked and they wouldnt take one of the TFI units as a core charge. maybe i was feed a bunch of bs?
The local Advance Auto here will take any Ford small block distributor as a core, no matter the reman application you're buying for. If some one wants one, I got a box full of cores.

dcwroth

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Keep it simple, If you have an older point type dist, get yourself a Petronics conversion kit. Then all you will need is a coil and a power lead. If you are just going to use it for street thats all you will need.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals