• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tesla air conditioning retrofit

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am dubious about the possibilities for using any hybrid electric AC system on any non-hybrid vehicle.

Hybrids need a special PAG oil in the AC system because regular PAG is conductive. This wouldn't be an issue, but hybrid AC compressors are high-voltage devices, running off the HV traction battery. Doesn't sound like much of an issue, until you consider that regular automotive electrical systems run on 12-14V, a normal household system is 110-220, and hybrid HV system usually runs in the neighborhood of 300V.

I guess what I am asking is, how are you going to power the unit?
The Tesla unit requires 400 volts to run so I figured I would hit it with a rock or something 🤷‍♂️

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The Tesla unit requires 400 volts to run so I figured I would hit it with a rock or something 🤷‍♂️
Ok. Sounds reasonable.

I was just going through my great grandfather's automotive materials. They talked about electrode tubes and electric starters the way we talk about Sync and nav systems, so I'm not sure they will be super helpful here.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok. Sounds reasonable.

I was just going through my great grandfather's automotive materials. They talked about electrode tubes and electric starters the way we talk about Sync and nav systems, so I'm not sure they will be super helpful here.
Sooooo big rock?

Oooorrr little rock?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

ajbessinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger EV
Engine Size
Electric!
Transmission
Automatic
Can confirm, Tesla (and other EV & Hybrids) use high voltage for their A/C compressors. In the case of my 2015 Model S 70D, which has an 84S li-ion pack, that would be 310v nominal, 352v max. In the case of a car with a larger battery, that would be closer to 400v max.

Fun fact, the factory 2000 Ranger EV I own (which happens to be up for sale) is also outfitted with electric A/C. It uses a 5kw inverter and 3 phase AC motor to run the compressor. IIRC, it is rated for up to 5kw, and it also runs on 300v+.

youdoodle-2020-11-09T23-25-43Z.jpg

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Honestly, you could probably buy a small window ac and build it cheaper. Knock out the back window of the cab, replace with plywood that has a cutout for the window ac to mount. Put a dual battery box in the bed, that is hooked to the inverter. You will be cold, and will certainly turn a lot of heads. Or get one of those portable ac units that has the hose that runs to the window.

In all seriousness though, I am curious how this would work.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Honestly, you could probably buy a small window ac and build it cheaper. Knock out the back window of the cab, replace with plywood that has a cutout for the window ac to mount. Put a dual battery box in the bed, that is hooked to the inverter. You will be cold, and will certainly turn a lot of heads. Or get one of those portable ac units that has the hose that runs to the window.

In all seriousness though, I am curious how this would work.

You joke, but I've seen plenty of conversion vans with a window unit hanging out of the back. I even seen a car once with one hanging out the passenger side window.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Roert42, I have seen that as well. But there is no way I would do that to one of my cars.

I would rather look to repackage a room a/c to fit in my truck, with a vent to the outside.

Maybe look into an RV type of A/C system

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals