• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tensioners replacement fail

Ranger5100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,
This is my first post on the forum. I did some searching first and can't find anyone who has had the problem I am having. We are stumped so I am going to describe it as best as I can: I have an 02 Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC. It has 137,000 miles on it and since I got it (about 3000 miles ago) it has made a rattle on startup. It would only last half a second till oil pressure built up, and everything pointed to timing chain tensioners. I was told that it's an easy fix; the springs wear out so all you have to do is put new tensioners in so I bought a set off a forum user who had extras. We put the rear one in first, Started up the engine and it still did the rattle for a second but seemed fine otherwise. Next we did the top one. Once we got it in, we started the truck and it rattled like crazy and the rattling did not go away. Pulled tensioner out to check it, looked fine, tried it again. Same thing. We did some research, Found out the tensioners need to be primed with oil first. Took both out, primed them, and reinstalled. Same thing , rattles continuously. So we thought we were sent bad tensioners. Bought brand new ones and primed them and put them in. We started it up and it rattled loud first, then got quiet. I was excited as the process of taking them out takes about an hour and we had now done it about 4 times. Took the truck for a ride and in less than and quarter mile it started rattling again. Extremely frustrating. At this point, we think there must be something we don't know about. A how to video found on YT made it seem like this would be quite simple. We are mechanically inclined but not extremely familiar with this engine. Based upon my explanation, did we do something wrong? I can't understand how this could have made my problem 100x worse instead of solving it. Thank for reading and Thank you for your help in advance.
Bill

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
just a shot in the dark but could it be oil pressure. like a bad pump or too much wear on the rod and main bearings, or bad lifters, flat lobes on cam. don't know for sure as i said just a guess..:icon_confused:

Ranger5100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just a shot in the dark but could it be oil pressure. like a bad pump or too much wear on the rod and main bearings, or bad lifters, flat lobes on cam. don't know for sure as i said just a guess..:icon_confused:
Seems like a reasonable guess but what doesnt make sense is why the problem would suddenly develop when we put new tensioners in.

Ranger5100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I will not be offended if someone tells me I ruined my engine. Just need help with this :Bump:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if oil pressure is low and tensioners are hydraulic then it is possible that the tensioners would not function.

Ranger5100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if oil pressure is low and tensioners are hydraulic then it is possible that the tensioners would not function.
What could cause oil pressure to be low when it was not low before I put the new tensioners in?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's possible that the chain guides were worn, and running it without priming the tensioners made things worse.

Replacement really is as easy as it looks like it should be. Once the tensioner wears though, chain guide damage starts, and after that it's a crap shoot how long they last. You may well have finished one off, by the sounds of it the front one.

Ranger5100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It's possible that the chain guides were worn, and running it without priming the tensioners made things worse.

Replacement really is as easy as it looks like it should be. Once the tensioner wears though, chain guide damage starts, and after that it's a crap shoot how long they last. You may well have finished one off, by the sounds of it the front one.
That's what I'm fearing. I don't think I mentioned that both tensioners were aftermarket - NOT motorcraft. Any chance putting in genuine ford parts would make the difference?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Anything has the potential to be bad out of the box.

Ranger5100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anything has the potential to be bad out of the box.
Yeah true. Probably going to have to have a real mechanic look at it

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Did you try putting the original tensioners back in? If your problem goes back to the same as before... It's the tensioners. If your problem stays the same... It's time to replace the cassettes.

Ranger5100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you try putting the original tensioners back in? If your problem goes back to the same as before... It's the tensioners. If your problem stays the same... It's time to replace the cassettes.
We only have one of the original tensioners. Other one was modified to use as a thread chaser after I crossthreaded the new one by accident. That being said, as of now I believe both are making noise. I could replace one with the original and if it gets quiet, then I'd know what the problem is as you said.

Ranger5100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Put an original tensioner in. Problem just as bad. Time to pull this 4.oh no out one I convince my dad it's not an oil pressure problem.....

Ranger5100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Put some Genuine Ford Tensioners in and it's quiet! Lesson learned, stay away from aftermarket junk! When it comes to valve train components, spend the extra money for ford parts. We were ready to pull this engine. Turned out to be that simple

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, good on you.

Nice to hear some good news every once in a while.

Ray

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals