• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Temp Gage Quit Working

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, nothing wrong with that at all, racers always run 160deg thermostats :)

Thermostats set minimum operating temp, so can't help much with overheating, but 160deg should be open all the way after 8-10min so should keep the temp gauge below 1/2 full time
And 170-180deg(upper engine temp) is plenty warm for heater
Thanks for the advice as usual Ron. I still plan on changing the water pump as I'll be working on all of this at the same time anyhow.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Changed my tune a little bit lol.

Decided that the water pump seemed to be working good. I did a GOOD flush and installed the proper 180 degree T stat in the lower housing.

Went a lot smoother than the first time I changed it, and the housing seemed to seal up good with a new gasket and rubber ring.

I decided to ditch the sender I had bought and got a new motorcraft one from rock auto. It made the gage read properly now and everything seems to be functioning as it should with bright green coolant circulating.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals