• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tell us why.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm here because I was young and bored early on in college, started at fordranger.com back in the day then that went down bounced around a little between TRS and RRORC and broncoii.org... then life happened, took a break from a lot of stuff and started back in... Have way too many hobbies but I went from someone that didn't have much of an idea how things work to rebuilding engines and fabricating stuff and whatnot...

Of all the forums I've been part of over the years, TRS is one of the favorites, I've learned a lot...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I equate owning a 4x4 to carrying a gun. You hope you never have to use it but when you need it your glad you have it.

That’s actually a really good comparison. I carry a gun all the time, but I’ve needed it just as many times as I’ve needed a 4wd.

Both fun as hell in a recreational sense too.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Same, I had a lot of old junk and tools to play with when I was a kid. I took my bike apart and lost a bunch of pieces to the pedal brake...my mom was super pissed, she had just bought it for me a day or two before. Fortunately I am much better organized now and don't lose things like that. I started wrenching on my own vehicles out of necessity because I couldn't afford one that didn't need work... I do it now because it's a challenge and really it's pretty hard to own an old truck and not work on it.

I have been asked a million times why I'm not a mechanic. My answer is that if I was, I wouldn't enjoy doing it anymore. I lost my computer hobby to my job so wrenching took its place!
Me too. My Mom and Dad got me a tool set when I was a kid. It was just miniature versions of real tools. I guess later that day I was sawing up the framing in the basement.

I loved woodworking in HS, and took a bunch of VoTech courses in woodworking and cabinetmaking. I figured it would be a good fallback if engineering school didn’t work out. Then I did it as a job during summers and while on school breaks. Now I don’t care for it at all. I blame a mixture of burnout and getting spoiled by awesome high end tools. It’s hard to cut with a little fold-up table saw from Lowe’s after getting to use a cabinet saw that weighs about as much as an armored truck.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It’s funny you say that. I’ve always had that same feeling about 4wd. I have one now, and I’ll say it’s fun for a weekend romp, but is a huge waist for anything else else.

If I didn’t live somewhere where 98% of the roads were paved, I may see thing different.
Ive owned plenty of both... either one is fine for normal truck stuff. Ever since I started working for the county all I buy are 4wds. I get called in every snow storm to fix the plow trucks... 4wd just means I don’t have to clear my driveway before I leave.

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That’s actually a really good comparison. I carry a gun all the time, but I’ve needed it just as many times as I’ve needed a 4wd.

Both fun as hell in a recreational sense too.
Ive needed 4x4 quite a bit. I live close enough to lake Michigan to get lake effect snow. Can come at anytime and theres no way of telling how much its going to drop. Could be a dusting, could be 2 feet, either way im prepared. Last winter i walked into work with about 4” of snow on the ground, came out to 16”. I needed it that day lol.

Never needed my gun though but I definitely like to have that on me.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
If I didn’t live somewhere where 98% of the roads were paved, I may see thing different.
You need to start taking the road less traveled or the long way home.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
safety professional?
Everyone is a safety professional, I would hope.

I work in a shipyard as a multi-hatted professional. I love how my book says you're doing your job wrong. lol Seriously though, if I spot you doing something wrong/incorrectly/unsafe, etc. I will tell you so you fix yourself. If its a severe issue then your COC will hear about it.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I spent a couple years with new cars and got bored with them. I don’t like the feeling of being scared to get into the engine bay lest I void the warranty. It’s like a hobby for me. Plus it’s always good to know how to make an engine run.

Funny story time.
I got someone home after an FSU game one night. We were at a gas station and their hood was up, a few folks staring at the engine, group of girls huddled nearby. They described a failing starter. I figured the brushes lost contact and a good thump would get another start out of it. I explained something along the lines of the engine gnomes in the starter get tired and lazy after a while and that’s why you have to replace them. I slipped a hunk of rebar down to the starter and thumped it a couple times. I got some weird looks when I told them to try it, then got weirder looks when it cranked right up.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I'm slowly transitioning to doing automotive upholstery full time, from being in the collision industry for 16 years. I'm making that switch because I get to work on cool shit.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I grew up in a Ford family. F150's and rangers were it. They just grow on you and most of you know. Easy, dependable and can last a while.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals