• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tell me your opinion on spark plugs

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My '05 B4000 4.0L doesn't start up very easy and I figure my mileage is lower than it is supposed to be.

I pulled out a plug and the previous owner ran NGK TR551GP which look to be single platinum. The ground strap looks to be slightly burnt away so the gaps grown. I'm guessing this is my issue? Some motorcraft plugs are on their way.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Spark plugs is goes zzzzzap!

NGK plugs don't belong anywhere near a Ford engine. Motorcraft or Autolites only and if you have a DIS system (like you do) you should always run DOUBLE platinum or iridium.

Whether the worn plugs are the problem is impossible to say, but old worn plugs definitely wouldn't be helping the situation so replacing them is smart anyway.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Look at your plug wires as well. If they look like the ones that came with the truck in 2005, it’s time to change them. Don’t go cheap or you could have problems with the wires even if the plugs are fine. Like the plugs, I would get motorcraft wires and make sure the light colored ones go to the back cylinders. They are like that so they are easier to see. And more than likely, you will need to go through the wheel well on the passenger side to get good access to the plugs and wires. The box for the A/C will be in the way otherwise.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I prefer Motorcraft to anything else, Autolites used to be the same but that's no longer true.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Mine hated NGK, ran like crap. Didnt like the Bosch either. Now I run autolite double platinum and love them. Motorcraft is also good.

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Now a second question. What gap do yall use?

Looks like Ford specs 0.054"
The Motorcraft ones I bought seem to all be around 0.064". Should I gap em down to 0.054"?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Double platinum should come gapped. If not DO NOT USE A TYPICAL GAPPING TOOL! (Coin type) You will break the tiny platinum plate off the ground prong, you must use a gap tool that grabs the back of the ground and not stick anything actually between the electrode and ground. I believe gap is .051-.054.

It's easy to reduce gap by very very gently tapping the ground against something solid and checking with a feeler gauge.

Again never pry on or jam anything into the gap!

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Motorcraft double platinum in my 98 Ranger and 07 Mustang. NGK TR-6 in my Lightning.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Factory pre gap

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
They come pre-gapped from the factory but during shipping and handling, they could have dropped and knocked out of proper gap. Even pre-gapped should always be verified before you install them.

dashhho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000 SE
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I got all the plugs in.

When I went to push the boot on the last plug the wire slid up inside the boot...Guess I'm paying the price for being cheap on my wires. Is there any easy way to pull the wire back down? I could try to shove some needle nose pliers in there. I also thought I could crimp the wire so it's tighter and hopefully it pulls the wire back down the boot when I click the plug in place.

Right now when I click the wire on it pops off as the boot is putting pressure on the plug.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Well I got all the plugs in.

When I went to push the boot on the last plug the wire slid up inside the boot...Guess I'm paying the price for being cheap on my wires. Is there any easy way to pull the wire back down? I could try to shove some needle nose pliers in there. I also thought I could crimp the wire so it's tighter and hopefully it pulls the wire back down the boot when I click the plug in place.

Right now when I click the wire on it pops off as the boot is putting pressure on the plug.
I got a pair of oversize locking forceps that come in handy for stuff like this. I would get new wires.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
If you bought cheap wires you will find yourself replacing them soon. Break down and get a set of Motorcraft or Taylor wires. You will thank yourself later.

blbzeckhart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 94 Ranger with the 4.0L in it. I am a parts guy and I know the business. The spark plugs in my Ranger originaly are not the same as what came in the truck from Ford. With that said, the upgraded plug from Ford is an Iridium and they are not really expensive. I get a heavy discount but the price for the OE Plug from Ford is not expensive, put them in your Truck. Ive worked in A/M and OE and I would def put the OE plug in your truck. I have seen an enormous improvement in performance with the new OE Ford plugs. Jusy sayin

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'll be a little different here. My 2011 4.0 Ranger is running Denso TT platinum-iridium plugs now after changing the original Motorcraft plugs at 102,000 miles. The wires were changed at the same time with new Motorcraft. The truck runs great on Densos. Really.

My mechanic buddy who changed the plugs (long story, I couldn't budge one of them) talked me out of using Autolite. He said he had seen too many problems with that brand in different vehicles. Some other forums say that certain Autolite and Motorcraft plugs have a pressed-together two-piece outer metal shell that likes to separate during removal. This leaves part of the plug in the head. It's common enough that a special tool is available to get the separated part out of the head.

He saved the old plugs for me and pointed out a blue dot painted on each one. That was the original Ford assembly mark, he said, showing these were the originals the truck was built with.

I saw plenty of comments elsewhere about not using NGK in these engines. Densos had great reviews.

The original plugs were supposed to be gapped 0.052–0.054". After 102K miles they were all eroded to about 0.070". I gapped the Denso plugs to 0.052".

The 4.0 SOHC engine is not known for great fuel economy and the EPA highway rating is only 20 mpg highway, but I regularly see 21–23 mpg highway with these plugs and synthetic oil. So there are alternatives.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals