• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

JerryBee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If I recall, you said something earlier about replacing the fuel pump. I understand that the injector pump does the heavy lifting regarding the pressure. So, my question is, do you go with a lower pressure pump in the tank, or will the stock pump work okay?

Thanks,
JB

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I ended up using an aftermarket (Holley) adjustable fuel pressure regulator with the stock in-tank pump. I've heard the early Ranger sending units would work well since they put out the correct pressure. Any of you guys familiar these units?

Keep in mind that in a vw tdi there is no lift pump in the tank and the injection pump suction side does all the lifting.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Any thoughts on putting a resistor in before the pump to reduce the initial pressure before regulation?

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome results! I know we keep bugging you, but do you have a timeline for engine plates and cost? Really get excited about doing this when I see the MPG results.

LeeMack

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this! My mechanic and I have been talking about tag-teaming this same project. My Ranger is a 1998 4cyl 5spd reg cab.

I will be following this closely.

LeeMack
1998 Ford Ranger 4 cyl, 5 spd, std cab. w/ 180k

VW fanboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
2.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
im in the market for a 97-2000 model ranger with a shot engine but otherwise decent body.. im located wi.. willing to tow out from mn, wi, il or ia ... wanna do a project like this as well.

VW fanboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
2.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
possible to do with a automatic ranger?

98singlecab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
vw
mazda
Transmission
Manual
how is the tdi compared to gas engines? I'm thinking about doing this swap but need to know how the tdi performed

Betty Lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cummins 4bt in a 2002 ranger edge

My wifes truck is Betty Lou, and she heard that a guy put a cummins 4bt in his ranger and got 41MPG out of it. She seems like she really wants hers to be a cummins as well. She has an '02 ranger edge 4.0L auto trans and wants me to put in a fuel injected 4bt. How hard is it, and what do I need to get this party started?

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Greengeeker has posted mpg numbers before. Also, I'm pretty certain he used a VW TDI engine here, so 4bt won't be relevant to his swap.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My wifes truck is Betty Lou, and she heard that a guy put a cummins 4bt in his ranger and got 41MPG out of it. She seems like she really wants hers to be a cummins as well. She has an '02 ranger edge 4.0L auto trans and wants me to put in a fuel injected 4bt. How hard is it, and what do I need to get this party started?
Not sure about the 41MPG. I think the TDI is the best engine to try and get close to that figure.
I put an ISB170 (newer electronic 4BT) into my Dakota http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/2008-dakota-cummins-isb170/ and I average 21 - 25 MPG after 3 years on the road and a few long hauls.
The 4BT is a heavy engine.
If your going to pursue this idea maybe start a new thread. :>)

Betty Lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure about the 41MPG. I think the TDI is the best engine to try and get close to that figure.
I put an ISB170 (newer electronic 4BT) into my Dakota http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/2008-dakota-cummins-isb170/ and I average 21 - 25 MPG after 3 years on the road and a few long hauls.
The 4BT is a heavy engine.
If your going to pursue this idea maybe start a new thread. :>)
thank you very much I think I will start a new thread on this because she is so dead set on putting a Cummins in her Ford

donfordguy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ive just reed this hole thing hope the trucks still working good

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals