• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

joecool85

Reaction score
Wow, weight savings. So are you going to put all the electronics under the hood in a box or something now that you have shorter wires?

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
It is surprising how heavy a harness can be. I'll have to throw this box on the scale to see how much I trimmed out. This of course pales in comparison to the weight savings in the motor. Unless somebody already knows the weight of the 2.5L I'll grab a lift scale from work to get the weight.

TDI, dressed, wet: 365 lb
4B, dressed, wet: 715 lb
2.5L, dressed, wet: ? (I'm guessing 500lb)

I think I'm going to document two ways you can do the harness:
1) The easy way. Complete vw harness and fuse block stuffed under the hood. Only requires a few connections to the ford harness. Limited functionality for vw systems (ie no cruise control)

2) The right way. Integrate vw harness into Ford harness. Full functionality (ie cruise control using ford steering wheel buttons)

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Shame on FoMoCo for offering nothing even CLOSE to this from the factory, esp. in N. America, and MAJOR KUDOS to gg for blazing the techno-trail! :pray::pray: This is going to be the first diesel with a power:weight ratio good enough for AIRCRAFT use, lol!

Dude, are you a Mech. Eng. with VW-USA? I'm a tad envious of all your "toys", and the facile ease with which you have torn into this radical re-purposing project--ROCK ON!

AFAIK, your pics in this thread of the Ranger fuel tank, sender unit, and fuel pump are the best anywhere on TRS.com... hope they get "re-bundled" into the Tech Library. :icon_thumby:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Wow. Thank you! I'm actually a mechanical engineer for Cummins.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm also in the middle of a TDI build but I'm using a 3l 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel
Good luck with you project !!!!!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

joecool85

Reaction score
I'm also in the middle of a TDI build but I'm using a 3l 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel
Good luck with you project !!!!!
Do you have a thread going?

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes its under off road rangers under construction named "official build thread for project coal miner" I would give u a link but I'm on tapatalk and j haven't figgered it out yet

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man :)

Flit-e

11/2012 STOTM 04/2014 MTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Twin Turbo'd 393w
Transmission
Automatic
where did you get your intercooler parts?

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was just telling my wife this week that I found a 2000 TDI Bug that burned and was kicking the idea around in my head of putting it in my 98 Ranger. Love the thread and may try it myself.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Coolant Lines

I know this is a small update but I have finished up the coolant lines and frost heater install. Nothing too difficult here, just need to undo my heater core bypass and put it together the right way. I had intended to run the Ranger vacuum operated bypass valve as well as the TDI coolant glow plugs but I simply don't have enough room to get it all in the space avaiable. Keep It Simple Stupid! I'll likely need to install a bleeder valve on the heater core outlet but for the time being I'm going to slip the hose off the barb B5-Passat style.

Now I need to fab up a bracket to hold the frostheater in place, connect up my radiator lines and fill it with water (need to flush out the green stuff before I put G12 in there).

I have a question for you guys: As you can see I've removed my heater core bypass due to space limitations (I've also had to leave out my coolant glow plugs due to space :sad:) and am wondering what effect this will have on heating/cooling performance? Does the HVAC plenum have a bypass door that bypasses the heater core when you turn on the A/C? If it is absolutely necessary I can plumb it back in but the way it ended up was so very simple and I'd hate to have a rats nest of there.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Charge air pipes

I started mocking up the charge air pipes and turbo inlet pipe. Seems these are going to be very simple with a few cuts. I will lop off the ends with the bead and reweld (as opposed to fabbing up a bead roller from some pliers) the end back on.

Here is the ALH turbo outlet location pointing straight down:

And here is where I clocked it to have a nice straight run forward to the FMIC inlet. I also wanted to get clear the space for my future a/c compressor install on the top of my mount bracket.

I'm rather disappointed in my ebay turbo pipe kit. I did get most of what I need but what I really need are true 90deg bends in the tubing.
Included in the 2.5" kit:
- 2 straight pipes
- 2 45deg pipes
- 4 90deg* pipes
- 2 90deg hoses
- 6 straight hoses
- a bunch of t clamps

* As stated these pipes are the main problem as they aren't actually 90 degrees but closer to 60 degrees. This isn't going to work at all with my turbo inlet pipe so I'm going to buy one from Columbia River and just use the straight sections of my 60deg pipes . :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals