• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
The M5OD-R1 transmission is about 1" taller than the VW transmissions and interfers with the hard coolant pipe that crosses the back of the block/head.

The fix is easy to do but requires you to create a new mount for the water pipe. You MUST have the pipe bolted to the head and water neck when you do this so you get the orientation and angle correct.

I don't seem to have an intermediate pictures but I cut off the end of the pipe and welded it to the end of the section of pipe I'm going to keep:

I'll just make it over to the heater core with a longer length of hose.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Engine Cleanup and Paint Prep

So this is where I started:

and a close up of the crustiness:

I vaguely remember the last block I had to clean up and paint (AMC 258) but I recall I spent nearly 8 hours scraping, cleaning, degunking. Not happening this time around. I'm not sure where I got the idea but I decided to give a needle scaler a try to get in all the nooks and crannies of the block. Anyway, here is one I bought from Northern Tool for $35 since none of my buddies had one to borrow.

In 60 seconds (I'm not kidding) I've turned the above crusty pic into this:

After some cleaning and three coats of engine primer I'm ready for paint:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Thanks! Cannot believe you shoehorned a 6.5 into a Ranger. Now I know what to do with 6.2L Redblock I have in the corner of the garage. :icon_idea:
save that for a bigger 4x4 rbv. or better yet send it to me for a christmas gift:D

i would like to try this vw thing with some turned up fuel and improved turbo with a lightweight near stock b2.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
That's one weird looking Cummins motor.

Oh wait, what's this on the back of the block?

Reassembly begins:

Last edited:

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That looks so damn good... much props!

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Are you going to need to move or make another transmission mount?

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Are you going to need to move or make another transmission mount?
I made a small plate that inserts between the transmission and the mount to move it forward the 2". I'll snap a picture when I get a chance to show the way it's sitting in there with the the plate and new driveshaft.

Jeeprider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is exactly what I want to do with my ranger once I finish college and can afford it. I can't wait to see it finished!

Last edited:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I was getting kinda nervous that I hadn't been successful finding the correct pilot bearing for the swap. To be more accurate I was looking for a pilot bushing since I wanted to avoid a needle bearing failure and taking the input shaft with it. In fact I have several core transmissions in my garage that suffered that fate.

I spoke to a friend about my predicament and he recommended a certain guy at our local Napa who has been a nightmare in the past with getting me the right VW parts. Anyway I went in with low expectations...I mean how many parts counter people do you know that are willing to dig into the books on the counter? 99.99% of them basically say "if you don't know what year, make, model then I can't help you." Well I walked into the store with the ID of the crank and the OD of the shaft and actually walked out of the store with the bushing! Once I got it back to the shop I checked it with my calipers and it appeared like the OD needed to be opened up .005".

I threw the bushing into the freezer for a couple nights and went to cleaning up the ID of the crank. Quite a bit of gunk/rust can build up after 10 years (you of course would do this before you measure the ID but I used a spare block I had sitting around). A light coating of grease and some persuasive taps with a drift and the bushing is in place.

Throw on the adapter plate, the flywheel and torque down the flywheel bolts using my nifty metalnerd flywheel holder. The Ford flywheel is ~10mm thicker at the center than the vw and requires new, longer bolts. I lucked out and the original Ranger bolts are the perfect length and the right length. Small dab of thread sealer to keep the oil from wicking into the threads and torque them down.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Engine Final Assembly

I really needed to get the adapter and flywheel in place so I could finish up on the timing belt end.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Looking good, keep up the great details :icon_thumby:

SVT

joecool85

Reaction score
Wow, I'm seriously impressed. I would love to do a TDI swap.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Bench Start

Now these pictures might frighten some but this couldn't be easier to do if you have the whole harness, ignition, cluster, and of course the ecu. Really all you have to do is hook up the battery, have the appropriate fuses in place (6 or 7 if you power up the instrument cluster) and ground all the various grounding points in the harness.

Here is the result of about 6 hours of harness trimming:

http://youtu.be/3ugd7ilJATE

:icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals