• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tdi in 90s ranger

Blazekeith76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone swapped a tdi into an older ranger? Early 90s? Been trying to find something but seems I can only find swaps into newer rangers

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

Blazekeith76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man. I just picked up a rust free 91 and want to do the swap, only thing I’m too worried about is the crossmember for the front housing

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been also wondering about this... I have seen them done multiple times with Toyotas. But the crossmembers might be one of those "one off jobs"

Omen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I swapped an ALH into an 87 XLT Super cab. The engine fit between the stock x member & hood with sagging original body mounts with @ 1/2’’ clearance to the x member. The only 2 clearance issues i ran into were at the firewall and steering box. I pounded the firewall for clearance and cut the stock a/c bracket off & ground down the flashing for Steering box clearance. In 70k miles is has not rubbed once.
The crappy part here is that the power steering box has to come out to replace the alt. I would recommend a new alternator while the engine is out.

Greengeekers build was informative. I did find most of the later swap info to be very relevant to my truck.

Attachments

ghost762

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Would love to put a 3.0L TDI from a Toureg in my 98 Ranger.

Omen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I like the VW Alh power delivery and driveabilty enough that I would do it again. Mine is tuned to 110HP and was intended as a people mover though more than a tow vehicle. Towing ability should improve with 4.10 gears though

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I like the VW Alh power delivery and driveabilty enough that I would do it again. Mine is tuned to 110HP and was intended as a people mover though more than a tow vehicle. Towing ability should improve with 4.10 gears though
I'm looking at doing this in my 1992 5 speed truck what rear gear ratio are you running and what kind of mpg? i'm mainly going to do highway cruising so about 75 mph ( 120 km) just trying to figure some details out before its to late. Thanks

Omen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
On mine truck the cruise is good @ 68-72mph @2300 rpm. This is with 31” tall tires and 3.73 gears. It goes down the highway nicely but falls short in several areas: 1) starting from a stop on a hill or loaded. 1st gear is not low enough 2) reverse is useless because it is not even close to low enough. Worse than 1st gear even & i use low range in reverse frequently 3) useable torque in overdrive. It cruises nice but requires a downshift into 4th to overcome hills. It handles freeway overpasses well but not long grades. An upgraded tune will also help with this as I am only running a Malone stage 1 tune. One other thing to keep in mind when going from a v6 to an inline 4, is that the 4 will idle about 900 rpm instead of the 6’s 650. In my experience it is a significant change that needs compensated for in terms of gearing. In short, my opinion is that gearing is key.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals