• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tdi conversion kit for Ranger. Want one?

silverback

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
RRC: What VW TDi engine are you thinking of using? That would go a long way in determining who is on-board here. I'd be happy with the ALH, I would avoid the PD.

Also, what transmission, Ford or VW? The VW automatics, before the DSG, are not very good.

What about converting the fuel tank and adding the proper fuel filters?

As for suggestions:
1 - Basic kit; motor mounts, adapter plate and perhaps instructions on what to use from a VW TDi.
2 - Upgrade Kit; everything in the basic kit plus the ECM and perhaps VW to Ford adapter harness
3 - Full Boat kit; everything above plus TDi engine

i am more than interested in seeing the pricing.
a DIY kit would be great.

RRCdiesel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
TDi update

So, it looks like the same adapter plate may work for the 1.8 and 19. TD and the 1.9 tdi, including (and I haven't verified with one in the shop, but we will) the 03-06 PD TDI, (right now, adapting to the 5 spd Ranger trans)so then it would only require one adapter plate and then motor mounts for the engine of choice. I imagine the plate would be in the $800.00 mark. Motor mounts $200.00 ish?
anyway, figured I'd start there.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Pumpe Duse (PD) is a crappy version of the TDi.

How about the previous generation ALH (1999.5 to 2002)?

Or, the subsequent TDi engine(s) (from 2007)?

$1000 for an adapter plate and two motor mounts? Hmm.

Could we see how involved the motor mounts are? I get the work involved in the adapter plate but I'm wondering if motor mounts couldn't be fabbed up more economically (for those of us with skillz....:D).

Also, which starter (VW or Ford)?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i wouldnt say 1000 is way over price, but i would go with a jeep or toy setup over that due to price. motor mounts are not an issue, but a plate that allows a working starter/trans combo is the minimum for me. 800 seems reasonable. though the samari setup is my primary choice for the bronco 2 rig i have on hand. it appears to be the most cost effective available solution at this point.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Assuming using stock Ranger engine mounts, a simple plate might not suffice. Requiring things bent and/or welded. That adds a TON to making a part, versus just a machined plate. I don't know what a VW block looks like, or even where the mounts attach to. There might not even be holes on the side of the block where the Ranger mounts would go (it's normally a transverse engine after all). Not to mention a spot for the turbo and exhaust to get through effectively, that'll reduce your options, maybe even forcing something more custom.

I've loooong toyed with the idea of a diesel Ranger, but at the time and for a number of reasons I just couldn't justify it (besides engineering and making a plate). There is a good part of me that's still interested in this.

Edit:
Really, $1000 for a well engineered swap kit, bolt things together, everything is study with good materials, no cursing and swearing because something is 1/8" off, well positioned with no interference, reliable (those locating dowels are off you're gonna be M-A-D), $1,000 doesn't seem that bad. You need the precision machines and other machinery, jigs built for any assembly like welding or bending, qualified labor/personnel to do all these steps, and still make some kind of money for your business. Sounds about right actually, if you want the good stuff that is (and hopefully it is)

Last edited:

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 2001 New Beetle with the ALH TDi. I sold it to buy the Ranger.

I'm trying to recall where the engine mounts were but I do know this; someone has already put a TDI engine (ALH version, IIRC) into a Ranger (not sure which gen.). The adapter plate is where the majority of the work is, wrt mechanical parts. The 'back side' of the TDi (firewall side) is where the exhaust/turbo are located. That's pretty much the only things back there because the intake, while also on that side, is mounted up high and kind of curls up and over the valve cover. In the Ranger, that would mean the exhaust/turbo/intake would be on the passenger side. There's plenty of room for that stuff in the Ranger's engine compartment. The 'front side' of the TDi has the oil filter and fuel injection pump. This will now be on the driver's side in the Ranger engine compartment (plenty of room for those). The downside here is that the fuel filter (which is pretty big) logically goes on the passenger side (Ranger) but needs a line to run to the driver's side of the engine compartment (to the injection pump). The induction plumbing also needs to be considered. However, the timing belt, water pump and a/c compressor now are more accessible. Actually, everything is more accessible. TDi engine compartments are small and tightly packed.

My issue is more with the ECM/wiring and how to tie into the Ranger's harness. Also, what about the radiator. The Ranger's will be WAY too big as the TDi is very efficient and exothermic. What about the fuel tank? The diesel works on a circulating fuel system. I wonder if we can plumb/mod the stock Ranger tank to work or if we need a diesel tank out of a VW.

I am curious to see the motor mounts.

I wish RRCdiesel was more responsive to the questions we post and would show us some pictures.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
motor mounts are a non issue for most swappers. these things are no different.

adapting foreign transmission to engine components on the other hand does require precision. putting a starter in those scenarios is often times even more difficult.

the newer amorak trucks available in mexico now are getting wrecked and parts are becoming available, 6 spd manual 4x4 stuff would be the easy button for this stuff. transmission t case combos are much easier to ship over then engines.

i have not been able to get turnkey ranger powertrain pullouts under 4 k....usually over 5. prices went up.

RRCdiesel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
tdi kit info update

First, we’re still in the development phase. The kits would come out in stages, starting with a basic kit with motor mounts adapter plate and (and maybe an exhaust down-pipe) along with a list of additional parts you’d need for things like sensor adapting and clutch kit parts. This way you can just go to NAPA (or wherever) and get the expendable hard parts cheaper than buying from us.

The bell pattern does not change from 1.8 through PD, so you could use the engine-of-your-choice based how much wiring you want to tackle until a kit evolves to include it.

For the basic kit we’d start with the earlier 1.8 1.9 engine (or up to 02) with an adapter to the 5speed Ford trans and almost certainly use the VW starter because is matches the VW flywheel. Fuel delivery only requires a “draw straw” to be added to the stock Ranger tank and then just a fuel return. And as we build the first one all of that information will be documented and would just come with the kit in an installation guide plus youtube install videos. And we have a whole tech support department here that you can call once the kit is out.

This is all still in the planning stage, so there are no pictures yet.

Prices were a total guess. If we can use a portion of either the VW or the Ranger motor mount, it will certainly be cheaper. If the adapter plate uses a smaller chunk of aluminum and less mill time than the ones we use for full-size rigs, it’ll be cheaper as well.

All of the V-dubs have bosses on the sides for in-line mounting, that engine was used in other applications globally.

Radiator size shouldn’t be a problem, it’s just a big reservoir, the thermostat should regulate it fine—we’ll see.
Anyway, keep the questions coming. It will always take me a couple days to get responses out--but I will respond.

And thank you for the input.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 5-speed M5OD has an integrated bell housing so bolt pattern is specific to existing engine, 2.3l/2.5l lima, 2.3l duratec, 3.0l vulcan or 2.9l/4.0l OHV/SOHC

Pre-'98 Ranger would have fuel return line.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply, that answers a lot of my questions (and confirms that the adapter plate would work for more than one TDi).

Any ideas how long until an adapter plate for an auto tranny would be (I believe I have a 5R44E)?

Perhaps RonD can expound on how how many transmissions would fit onto the same auto tranny adapter plate.

snowball_93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
so I had a buddy mention to me today swapping a TDI in to my ranger. he knows of an extra motor laying around and I thought it would be cool. I happened apon this thread while doing some research.

What were your findings in doing this swap? did you ever come up with a kit to sell? any idea of pricing on it?

sounds like something fun to do just need to figure out what kind of cost im looking at

thanks

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i would only require the adapter plate..

koty has a decent kit to use a 3550 trans. thats about 900 bux.

i can get a 3550 from 200-800 bux, i have a jeep 231 laying around...

i just have not run across my target ideal for a 1.9 yet.

so. if you can come up with a plate that uses the vw starter for 6-700 that would fit the rbv trans in v6 pattern, i will send you the cash asap. because that will vastly expand the target price of engine acquisition.

DieselDriver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would be interested. I have a very nice condition 96 Ranger XLT with the 4.0 and 5 speed auto trans, 2WD, 4door. The engine is on it's last legs but the body is rust free and looks like it's only a couple of years old. I have access to a bunch of TDI engines for about $2K each. However, I'm not a fabricator. I'm pretty good at putting stuff together but someone else will need to build the parts I need to put the two together. So the important thing to me is how complete will the kit be and how much would it cost?
Thanks

RamblerRyGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
1.9 TDI
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch
Tire Size
33’s
My credo
Graduated one of the top in my class for automotive technology at Sinclair College, Ohio.
I am interested in a basic kit with even just an adapter plate. I can easily make motor mounts but the adapter plate for the stock Ranger trans is my issue, specifically the starter placement. I have been doing tons of research on this topic and a VW starter does fit the Ranger flywheel teeth, but it turns the wrong direction since the VW starter is mounted on the transmission side, and the Ranger starter is of course mounted on the engine side. That doesn’t jive.

Like I said, I would be interested in a basic kit including an adapter plate with a good starter location solution.

I’m a few years late on this, but who knows, any info that anybody has on this kit development, I would love to hear it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals