• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Taxes and older Rangers

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The crazy prices of used vehicles are affecting more than you think. Carvana wants $20K for old Rangers. Now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Virginia, like some other states, has a personal property tax on vehicles. It is paid annually to the locality (city or county) and is based on vehicle value. It's in addition to the annual fee to renew tags paid to the state DMV, but that fee isn't too bad.

Yesterday a letter arrived from the city commissioner of the revenue with a warning that residents will be paying more personal property tax on vehicles when the next bills are sent near the end of the year.

The reason is that state law requires localities to use Kelley Blue Book values for assessments, and those values have shot up because of demand for used vehicles. The letter warned that some assessments will go up 25% and even as much as 50%. There is a "car tax relief" that applies in Virginia for private vehicles that offsets some of the tax.

My rough number crunching based on Hopewell's 3.5% tax less the car tax relief means I'll probably be out of pocket about $100 more on my Ranger. The city phrases it as "$3.50 per $100 of assessed value", but that's just another way of saying 3.5%.

Those of you who have to deal with such taxes need to be aware that this is coming. Virginia's taxes are actually less than some other states impose, and Hopewell has a lower rate than some other localities. When I lived in Portsmouth years ago the rate there was 5%.

Also keep in mind that some states without a personal property tax charge all car owners big bucks to renew tags annually.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I paid a hair over 700 bucks to register my truck yesterday 🙃 better than last year though.. 940.

Should "only" cost me 600ish next year lol.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Until my daughter- who lives in Va.- told me about it, I had never heard of property taxes on vehicles. Canaan is far from a high tech kind of place but we can renew registrations online, and I did this week. My Mustang runs antique plates because it's old enough and they're cheaper. The price is highest on new vehicles and declines over time. In 2011 I bought a new Escape in the spring and a new Ranger after Ford announced they were being discontinued, when I renewed in 2012 it cost me just over $900 for both plus the Mustang.
You guys realize, when there's a (D) after a politician's name, it means you'll be destitute, right?
Order 1 of 1Canaan, NH
Questions about your order?
Log# 2934846
ReferenceAmount
7177$23.50
Renew Reg 1977 FORD MUSTANG (MV)
485232$134.70
Renew Reg 2016 FORD ESCAPE (MV)
4735827$76.70
Renew Reg 1993 FORD RANGER (MV)
EB2Gov Fee$4.50
Service Fee$0.35
Total$239.75
Bank Statement Charges
Town of CanaanAuth: Pending$234.90
Town of Canaan/EB2Gov (Service and Transaction Fees)Auth: 94993745$4.85
Please Note: Your bank statement will show fees to EB2Gov, the provider of these services, separate from the charges to the Town.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Holy Cow! I will never move to Virginia. That is insane that you can be taxed on a vehicle AFTER you buy it. Don't get me wrong, I know in NJ we pay between 60-75 per year for registration, but that is at least manageable. I could not imagine being told that I would have to pay roughly $700 PER YEAR to use my truck. At that point I would only drive beaters worth $1000, maybe.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I pay $83 a year for registration on each truck. That’s better than paying a property tax and what someone says they are worth.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
$130 approx for 5 years on my ranger here in AZ

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
We have the option of doing every 2 years but it doesn’t save you anything.

Trailers, we can do every 5. Again, it doesn’t save you anything except time in completing the registration process.

When the county first came out with their added $5 fee add on, it used to be that you would save on the multiple year registration until someone caught on that the county was losing out. That maybe lasted a couple years and then you got hit either way.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
ours is like 72 a year to register our vehicles here in texas. no vehicle tax though.

i think we make up for it with really high property tax though.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Nebraska does that personal property tax crap too. It is really shocking that any American would stand for that type of tax... would have been the basis for a revolution in the good old days.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My Bronco II got registered under the expanded antique program here... $50 a year. The Ranger and my wife's escape both cost $151 a year. Illinois has many other was to swindle money from us.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Superj- VERY true, property tax here in NJ is pretty high.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Property tax here in VA isn't a big deal for older vehicles. I don't remember the backstory, but the original value that was assessed originally isn't the rate we get charged anymore. At some point (2000's?), a revision to the car tax was passed that 'forgives' a percentage of it. It's kind of a mess because you see the original assessed amount followed by the amount that's reversed from that. Anyway - the takeaway is that for vehicles like I drive ('99 Ranger, '94 Camry, and an old motorcycle) - the property tax is completely zeroed out. I think there's a $28/year registration fee for each, but no property tax at all.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
PA still offers Antique and Classic plates, but they changed the rules on them and if I remember right, Antique is restricted daylight only and like 1k miles a year and Classic has higher mileage restrictions but they added the state inspection to it, so there’s really no benefit. No property tax on the vehicles, but the registration changes based on vehicle. My Bronco II was $36 a year (or used to be), Ranger was $80 something, F-150 was $90 something, think the dump is close to $200…

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
PA still offers Antique and Classic plates, but they changed the rules on them and if I remember right, Antique is restricted daylight only and like 1k miles a year and Classic has higher mileage restrictions but they added the state inspection to it, so there’s really no benefit. No property tax on the vehicles, but the registration changes based on vehicle. My Bronco II was $36 a year (or used to be), Ranger was $80 something, F-150 was $90 something, think the dump is close to $200…
It depends on the vehicle and it’s load class. A van with windows or and SUV is considered a passenger vehicle.

Remove the windows on the van and it’s now a truck. I had the opportunity to have a lower registration cost on the 2011 since it is only rated 50 pounds more than the next lower class. My luck, I’d be loaded to maximum capacity and get busted for it. So I opted for the Class 2 registration.

The 2019 is a big enough gap from Class 1 to Class 2 that I wasn’t given the option.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It depends on the vehicle and it’s load class. A van with windows or and SUV is considered a passenger vehicle.

Remove the windows on the van and it’s now a truck. I had the opportunity to have a lower registration cost on the 2011 since it is only rated 50 pounds more than the next lower class. My luck, I’d be loaded to maximum capacity and get busted for it. So I opted for the Class 2 registration.

The 2019 is a big enough gap from Class 1 to Class 2 that I wasn’t given the option.
When I bought my F-150, the previous owner had it registered at 1,500# and the title place asked if I wanted to keep it at that or change it. Since the truck weighs well over that empty and I planned on using it I demanded it be raised to the GVWR of 6,250. They set it at 6,200.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals