• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

taurus fan install

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so i need some better cooling for the 2.9:annoyed: and been talking to ppl on here (mainly 4.0b2) and loks like a taurus fan is the route to go.

now, my question:icon_confused:how to mount it?

:icon_idea:is it the same size as the radiator on the 2.9?

or do i have to make brackets?:dunno:

so has anybody done this?:beer:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
for any curious- its the 3 wire fan from a 90-95 taurus or sable 3.8 v6. its a dual speed fan and moves A LOT of air. a lot of the jeep guys us it on TJ's. A lot of mustang guys use them also. they are well desired fans, push more air than most aftermarket e-fans. if looking to get a good cooling fan for cheap- hit up your local JY and find one. just google 3.8 taurus fan and look at what you come up with. even chevy guys are using them when they rebuild some old classics.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've seen a lot of people using pins? that go through the rad, and have a washer on the other side, you basically bolt it to the fins on the rad... not sure if this would work on the taurus e-fan, but i know a LOT of guys on another forum (which shall remain unnamed) use them on their 4th gen (or 5th, depending on how you count [05+])

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
which way you mounting it? theres too many ways to do it.

make a cradle from strap that bolt to the bot of the rad for it to sit in, i wire the top in.

my current setup has feet with slots on bottom of the radiator for the oem tabs, but its a double intech fan similar to a windstar....wont fit in a un modified truck, but the principal applies.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i don't know if pins are the right term, but there are like clips or pins, or bolts or something, that go through the fins on the rad... make sense? no idea what they are called, or where to get them...

brupright

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
a/c

i recently installed two e-fans on my 97 3.0 ( i have yet to post pics or know how for that matter) but works really well. i came up with my own way to mount the fans but along the same lines as the clip/pins thing, ill try and get pics up..

so i don't have a/c right now but wanna get it going here real soon. but now that i don't have the clutch and fan will the a/c work? can i get it to work?
can anyone give me an answer to this!

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i don't know what you're asking...

the mechanical fan vs electrical fan won't have any impact on A/C, the fan is merely to pull air through the radiator and condenser while moving at slow speed, as the wind of the vehicle moving through the air, isn't there... a/c will work with NO fan, however the condenser won't get as cool, so as a result, the a/c won't be as cold though...

if you mean the clutch on the a/c compressor, no, your a/c won't work without it... unless it's locked solid (pulley and compressor) in which case your compressor will be working over time...

brupright

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the clutch that was attached to the stock fan and to the water pump, now with the fan and clutch gone will this cause probs? or will it be fine to run the a/c is what im mainly getting at.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the clutch that was attached to the stock fan and to the water pump, now with the fan and clutch gone will this cause probs? or will it be fine to run the a/c is what im mainly getting at.
i think you're talking about the fan clutch?? not the a/c clutch? if so, that has nothing to do with your a/c working..

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used a rad from a [guessing] early/mid '90's chrysler. I used zip ties to hold it it place. The zip ties are race track roll over proven as I rolled my truck on the nose before ending upside down. The core support was pushed back 6". This rad/fan combo worked for all but balls out, more than three minutes at a time racing. I did add an extra rad to my heater core lines and solved the problem.The fan/shroud combo covered the rad almost perfectly, only leaving the bottom 3" to 4" exposed. I think the set up [without the extra rad on the heater lines] would work in everyday driving though maybe not if towing a load up a long grade.

Richard

Edit;
As you can see in the pics, I'm running without the fan/clutch. You shouldn't have any problems.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not tryin to bust balls or anything but is that speaker wire to run the fan, might want to run something a little heavier in the wire gauge for that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals