• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tap, Tap, Tap

brown932

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
New here, just bought a 1999 Ranger XLT, 4x4. 160,000 miles with 20,000 on replaced new engine.Now have a very loud tapping noise. I was sure was lifters, as was local garage. They replaced lifters, engine was clean and spotless, same noise. It is loudest at idle, rpm's only make it tap quicker. Still there at 2000-3000 rpm but very hard to hear, and at road speed not notice. Load on engine as when accelerating, makes no difference. Have pulled wires from each cylinder, noise the same. Engine runs great, and NO codes. I called Ford garage, was told possible exhaust leak. There are dark areas on manifold, but not like what a fresh leak would cause. Start up and hot engine noise the same. Oil has been replaced, very clean. Also took off belt, same noise. If I ref engine the noise decreases (still there only quicker) and seems almost goes away as engine rpm's decrease, only to get louder as it goes to idle.

Help??

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is the new engine still under warranty?

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
might help to first pinpoint where the noise is coming from. running a cold engine for a few min without the fan may help to hear better. can also plug one ear and hold a cut piece of garden hose to the other ear and sweep the engine to maybe find where the noise is coming from.

brown932

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not under warranty. I used a stethescope and noise is on drivers side, can hear it in block, but also exhaust manifold.

No problem hearing the noise.

Last edited:

drsvox

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
so if not lifters, maybe a rocker or valve?

brown932

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They were checked when lifters replaced.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
An exhaust leak at the head or where the down pipe meets the exhaust manifold can sound like a lifter. Look for the tell tale black carbon or sooty spots.

brown932

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
At this point, seems most likely. There is some "black" on manifold. I assume since loudest at idle, it could be because at higher rpm's exhaust pressure is different?

brown932

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update... Replaced exhaust manifold gasket, manifold not cracked. Noise loudest on side of block @ #1 cylinder. Must be something with piston or rod. Haynes manual says engine must be removed to get oil pan off. (4x4) Is this the only way?

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know on 2 wheel drives i have been told you can loosen the motor mounts and raise the engine a few inches and the oil pan can be removed. I would think it would work the same for the four wheel drive.

Jnevrotski

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xl
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
235 75r15
My credo
If you cant fix it blow it up
New here, just bought a 1999 Ranger XLT, 4x4. 160,000 miles with 20,000 on replaced new engine.Now have a very loud tapping noise. I was sure was lifters, as was local garage. They replaced lifters, engine was clean and spotless, same noise. It is loudest at idle, rpm's only make it tap quicker. Still there at 2000-3000 rpm but very hard to hear, and at road speed not notice. Load on engine as when accelerating, makes no difference. Have pulled wires from each cylinder, noise the same. Engine runs great, and NO codes. I called Ford garage, was told possible exhaust leak. There are dark areas on manifold, but not like what a fresh leak would cause. Start up and hot engine noise the same. Oil has been replaced, very clean. Also took off belt, same noise. If I ref engine the noise decreases (still there only quicker) and seems almost goes away as engine rpm's decrease, only to get louder as it goes to idle.

Help??
I have that same tap sound as well I just had the exhaust redone on it. I snapped the dam port for my right side upstreem O2 sensor taking it out so from the manifold back is all new. I was told I had a slight leak in my emissions which I just found. It's the pipe just below the EGR valve that's covered with the cloth insulation. I'm about to replace it but think I'm just going to use the wrap on it temporarily till I get these few roofs knocked out and replace the manifold and the evap parts that connect with it on the left side when I drop the trans to rebuild it since I gotta remove the exhaust to do the trans makes sense to do the manifold (the guys that did the exhaust don't mess with them no more they said) but I'll let you know in about 2 weeks or less if that was it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals