• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tankless water heater

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
YES, YES and YES. We love ours. We had in installed on almost three years. No more gas smell in the garage from the gas hot water tank. The unit is mounted outside and it is a small unit. When I was in Japan a bunch of times back in the 80's I noticed them. People over there have been using them for years!!! When we have several guest come to visit they can take showers one after the other and they is always hot water!!! Our electric bills are so much lower now and there is little to no maintenance with the flash units. Our gas bill is even lower and has stayed lower since we put up the tankless hot water unit!!!!

Straycat

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My brother has one in his mountain house. It's great from the stand point that he's not always heating water when he's not at the house. But it takes a long time for the water to get hot. I turned on the shower shaved and was finally able to finally take a shower. This is a new house with a propane heater mounted on the outside of the house. The shower I used was not any farther from the the heater than the shower I use at home and I get hot water faster. This is not the first time I've heard that this is a problem. Maybe somebody else has had this experience.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
There is no venting on an electric tankless just gas and if your going to designate it for just the master bath yea you have no tank to keep hot they take up little space I still suggest putting service valves on 1/4 turn ball valves so you can isolate it for service and not have to turn water to the rest of the house off otherwise if you put a regular tank in put a insulator blancket on it helps too depending on the size you use or your demand wether you run out of hot water. I am not sure on the power it takes for the circulating pump but yea you will have instant hot water and wont run out be sure to put in the proper pressure temp relief valve and insulate the piss out of everything. I like the idea of putting ball valves on in and out of any hot water tank for service to isolate it and not have to drain the whole house to repair or change. As my dad said it takes a nickle to go first class

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
If you get the right size, a conventional "tanked" water heater works jusy fine. Just get one with a good warrenty, easpecally if you have hard water, like my parents house does. (Yes I still live w/ my 'rents. No job = no money to move out!)

Anyway, our water is so hard, even with a softener, it ate though a heater in 7 years (one w/ a 9 -year warrenty!) When dad & I drained it, what came out of the bottom of the tanked looked like chocolate pudding.

Another tip, which my dad did, is install good ball valves (HD 1/4 turn shutoffs) and pipe fittings into the lines going to & from the heater. When you do have to replace it again, it'll make things simpler. Plus, the valve on the outlet (hot water) line will come in handy if you ever have to do any more plumbing around the house.
Did you know that conventional water heaters have a sacrificial annode that is to be changed every year or so? They do,if you look at the top you will find a plug that is the holder of a long annode that hangs down in the water. The materials in the water eat the annode and leave the water heater lining alone. Thease tanks need to be bottom flushed once a year also.

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
ok, thanks again yall.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
sorry no vents on electric it would be cheaper without loop good break away service valves and temp pressure relief a must tho for service and alot of insulation

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Did you know that conventional water heaters have a sacrificial annode that is to be changed every year or so? They do,if you look at the top you will find a plug that is the holder of a long annode that hangs down in the water. The materials in the water eat the annode and leave the water heater lining alone. Thease tanks need to be bottom flushed once a year also.
Nope, did not know this. If that is true for mine, then it is past due. I guess I better look into it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
loop

sorry no venting on electric the loop is a little more expensive and pump draws elect just buy a good one they been around europe japan for years now very dependable insulat everything good dont dottle in the shower they save alot in the long term

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
dont dottle in the shower they save alot in the long term
thats the plan...just have to get my wife on board with the idea. thanks again!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
flushing

bottom flushin regular hot water tanks will add life to it hook up a hose and run for a few minutes once a year and when you open the gate valves all the way then back 1/2 turn so they dont freeze up on you

EnglishDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
My father has one in his farm house back in England - Brilliant, it heats the water as it passes through... you never run out of hot water. You can shower and shower and shower! Great if you have a big family.

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i dont know about where you're building the house, but when we built our house in new hampshire they were practically giving away expensive energy efficient tanked ones for new construction (by giving away i mean the same cost as a cheaper, less efficient style) This thing is much better than our one at home, we can run shower after shower without ever having to to turn the water up! They are also insulated really well so you dont waste energy. Just another option to look at

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals