• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Taking longer to start?

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
stick with recommended factory replacement injectors

a lot of those accel injectors have significantly different offsets (solenoid dead time from when its get powered up before the injector actually starts spraying fuel) and it can cause some fueling issues sometimes

I would suspect your fuel pump first though. The early signs of a fuel pump going out is extended cold starts. if you hadn't changed the filter recently i'd prob check there too just for good measure.
If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge I have one you can borrow. I would definitely check the pressure first. Mine does this on and off but my pressure bleeds of rapidly. I bought a brand new fuel pump 4 months ago but didn't put it in because it was hunting season :)
I did change the fuel filter. I will check into to the fuel pressure. I am out of town at the moment so I will touch base with you later Craig

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would change the fuel pump and the filter. I wouldn't worry about the injectors unless you have a reason. I would see the pump failing before the injectors. If you have a harbor freight near by you can get a pressure set for around $20. Could at least see what kind of pressure you have when you are having these long starts.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I did change the fuel filter. I will check into to the fuel pressure. I am out of town at the moment so I will touch base with you later Craig
10-4

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
I would change the fuel pump and the filter. I wouldn't worry about the injectors unless you have a reason. I would see the pump failing before the injectors. If you have a harbor freight near by you can get a pressure set for around $20. Could at least see what kind of pressure you have when you are having these long starts.
So I bought a $20 fuel pressure tester from HF. I put the truck in the on position the pressure dropped from 35 psi to 25 psi in 15 seconds. I never started the truck I just had it in the on position. Does the pressure drop mean the fuel pump is bad? Or something else?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It means you have a leak somewhere. If it isn't leaking onto the ground, then it's leaking back into the tank or the fuel injectors are leaking. You can test the injectors by holding the gas pedal to the floor and cranking the engine. If it fires or makes any sound like it is trying to fire up then you have leaking injectors. This test is actually a "clear flooded engine" protocol.
If that doesn't work then probably the fuel pump. I believe in your year there is an integral one way check valve in the pump.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
It means you have a leak somewhere. If it isn't leaking onto the ground, then it's leaking back into the tank or the fuel injectors are leaking. You can test the injectors by holding the gas pedal to the floor and cranking the engine. If it fires or makes any sound like it is trying to fire up then you have leaking injectors. This test is actually a "clear flooded engine" protocol.
If that doesn't work then probably the fuel pump. I believe in your year there is an integral one way check valve in the pump.
I read this: https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-no-start-problems/a-flooded-engine
It seems to me that the “clear flooded engine” Protocol that you mentioned is the same as clear flood mode on this site. Seems to me like you do this only for fouled injectors not low fuel pressure?
I am not trying to knock your advice just don’t want to do something that isn’t going to help me figure out the issue.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I read this: https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-no-start-problems/a-flooded-engine
It seems to me that the “clear flooded engine” Protocol that you mentioned is the same as clear flood mode on this site. Seems to me like you do this only for fouled injectors not low fuel pressure?
I am not trying to knock your advice just don’t want to do something that isn’t going to help me figure out the issue.
So; if the injectors are leaking [engine not running] then the pressure will drop. This procedure figures out if the injectors are leaking or not. It doesn't hurt the engine and narrows down the possible causes.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
So; if the injectors are leaking [engine not running] then the pressure will drop. This procedure figures out if the injectors are leaking or not. It doesn't hurt the engine and narrows down the possible causes.
Ok. So if it starts or tries to start my injector are leaking?

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tried it a couple time did not start

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok. So if it starts or tries to start my injector are leaking?
Yes.
It didn't do anything so you can rule out leaking injectors.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Yes.
It didn't do anything so you can rule out leaking injectors.
So would I need to change the injector O-rings/seals or check the regulator? Or go straight to the fuel pump?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What fuel pressure do you have when it's running? ~40psi is what it should be. And you haven't said anything about rough running in general so I doubt the fuel pressure regulator is the problem. I would suspect the fuel pump if it has an integral check valve, which I think it does but not sure.
Edit; now I'm second guessing myself. If the FPR is leaking that could cause your problems. Pull the vacuum line off and check for signs of fuel, smell or physical. Honestly I'm not familiar with that year fuel system.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
What fuel pressure do you have when it's running? ~40psi is what it should be. And you haven't said anything about rough running in general so I doubt the fuel pressure regulator is the problem. I would suspect the fuel pump if it has an integral check valve, which I think it does but not sure.
Edit; now I'm second guessing myself. If the FPR is leaking that could cause your problems. Pull the vacuum line off and check for signs of fuel, smell or physical. Honestly I'm not familiar with that year fuel system.
Just checked the fuel pressure while the vehicle was running and it was 10 PSI that sucks! When I pulled the vacuum off the regulator it went to 20 psi. The vehicle seemed like it was running smoothly but every now and then it would loose power while driving at steady speeds. This makes sense now why this has been happening. So now do I just change the fuel pump and filter? The regulator did not show any signs of a gas smell. Or to be on the safe side change the regulator as well?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
How it is even running at all with 10 psi is amazing. You can change the regulator if it makes you feel better. If it is working I would just leave it be personally.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
How it is even running at all with 10 psi is amazing. You can change the regulator if it makes you feel better. If it is working I would just leave it be personally.
That is what I was wondering myself but we are talking about a Harbor Freight tester so you never know. But the gauge seems to be working. I probably will leave it considering I started and new job and haven’t gotten paid yet but I at least have to change the fuel pump ASAP.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals