• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tailgate questions

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Maxda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75-15
I read in the manual you can take off the tail gate, and I am GUESSING that is so it doesn't flop and bang around if you have stuff in there that is too long and you want to lay it flat (?). I haven't tried taking it off, but I see how the cable supports come off. I'm going to need to get some long stuff that I want to lay flat in there so I need to get savvy on that.

Also, I just noticed there is a lock under the tailgate. WTF is that? I don't remember seeing anything in manual about it yet. I can't tell if it takes my regular ignition key because the little protector plate is stuck, will have to be soaked a bit. That's weird. You can get to it with a key but its placement isn't obvious. What does it lock?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: BD8D9A3814E19D Expires July 5th, 2022

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
To remove the tailgate you simply take the cables off then put the tailgate at about halfway open and lift it out.

The lock is for the spare tire. It covers the hole where you stick the jack handle to lower it.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've not seen a tailgate lock on any older rangers, but I would assume it locks the tailgate closed for if you have a cap on.

No need to take the tailgate off when moving very long stuff, the tailgate will help support the stuff instead of just letting it hang out the back.

once you pop the straps off the tailgate you can pull the tailgate off the hinges, one side has a opening and you slide that side out first.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Maxda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75-15
Thanks to both. Ok, wow, then the lock has to be made to work, otherwise I would be dead in the water if I ever got a flat.

Why then, do they make the tailgate removable? In case you want to put a camper top? That'd be my guess.

Dirtman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Thanks to both. Ok, wow, then the lock has to be made to work, otherwise I would be dead in the water if I ever got a flat.

Why then, do they make the tailgate removable? In case you want to put a camper top? That'd be my guess.
There's random reasons to remove the tailgate, Ive done it when picking up something like an engine that's on a pallet and loading it with a forklift. The forklift can stick the pallet directly into the bed and not have to set the load on the tailgate first then push it in.

As for the spare tire lock they were sometimes factory so the ignition key MAY work but alot of times they were added aftermarket or at the dealer and had a separate key so you may just need to cut/drill it off.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I pull the tailgate off when I am moving a bunch of loose dirt or mulch around the house, easier to load and clean out.

You also see people install a lift gate or dump bed, that would require you to remove the tailgate.

Tailgates can get beat up pretty bad on a work truck, especially if you back into a loading dock or something. Real easy to replace.

Tugg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger extended
Transmission
Automatic
Spare tire lock and tailgate lock are 2 different things. Spare lock is not at the tailgate handle. A few aftermarket companies make a tailgate lock

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Maxda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75-15
Thanks. Might be a way to replace lock or have locksmith make key but might be pricey.

Wow, ok, thanks. So, lots of reasons, that's very cool. Also could put mesh there, I was told that cuts wind resistance.

Right, the one I'm talking about is way down underneath the tailgate but above the bumper. Don't see what tailgate lock would do for you except keep someone from stealing it, but it would be very inconvenient unless it was on key fob arrangement.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I can't remember how you actually unlock/lock the spare tire carrier lock. I just removed mine at first opportunity. On this list of things I might ever worry about, that is -very- low.

Dirtman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Also could put mesh there, I was told that cuts wind resistance.
This is a myth. Removing the tailgate or using a mesh tailgate actually adds wind resistance. The bed of the truck forms a low pressure zone and wind flows right over it. Putting the tailgate down or using a mesh tailgate ruins that nice low pressure area and causes more turbulence/wind resistance.

The tailgate locks for the handle are for when you have a tonneau cover, you can lock the cover and tailgate handle to secure stuff in the bed under the cover. They do make another form of tailgate lock that doesn't actually stop you from opening it but stops you from being able to lift it off and walk away with it. People do steal tailgates... :rolleyes:

Ranger850

Banned... except Florida... and here soon
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Not a real problem on an old beater but these new $2000 tailgates with cameras and flip out steps and crap could be concerning.

Dirtman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Ranger850

Banned... except Florida... and here soon
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. Might be a way to replace lock or have locksmith make key but might be pricey.

Wow, ok, thanks. So, lots of reasons, that's very cool. Also could put mesh there, I was told that cuts wind resistance.

Right, the one I'm talking about is way down underneath the tailgate but above the bumper. Don't see what tailgate lock would do for you except keep someone from stealing it, but it would be very inconvenient unless it was on key fob arrangement.
I understand the need for spare tire locks - people steal spares.
But 99% of time, if you need the spare, you will find the lock rusted solid and you won't be able to access the spare.​

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad