• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tacoma or Ranger

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Just spend a good half hour combing over some search results....most of the threads I read were just People spewing back and forth about how Ranger>Tacoma or Visa Versa only because they prefer that brand. Not really what i was looking for.

With fords discontinuing of the ranger I've got a decision to make, really. I'm either going to be hopping into a new 5 speed ranger soon, before they're too hard to find, Or a tacoma. On one hand, Im a ford guy thru and thru...and the rangers have a good price, but on the other hand...I like toyotas reliability and the fact that they are More of a supporter of the US job force. Does anyone own or Have owned before both of these trucks? Ups and downs of them, reliability...ease of finding parts etc....

Been raking google and such for a while now but just cant find a good, SOLID reason to pick one over the other.:dunno:

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd buy a tacoma, but look for the previous generation

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
The only positive thing I could ever come up with for the Tacoma is the resale value and I would imagine aftermarket support. When I was last shopping for a truck I found that the taco could be twice the age, mileage, and amount of rust and still being priced higher than a comparable ranger.

I chose the Ranger because I wasn't going to pay $3K for a 25 year old truck with rust holes and 250k miles on it. Beyond that, Rangers do not have a bad reliability record.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Truth is... there is no solid reason to pick one over the other...
i'm a ford guy, about as big of one all you'll ever find.. but for a new "mini" truck, it'd have to be the tacoma IMO. just the stuff they offer and the overall reliability i've seen from them..

the only way i'd end up w/ a newer ranger is if it was a 4.0 5 speed 4x4 w/ 4.10's ext cab.. even then you can get the same thing from a taco w/ full 4 doors (but kinda, if i need full 4 doors i'd rather get a f150).. regardless 2012 taco crew cab, 6 speed manual... yeah, 6 speed! lol. comes w/ a 4.0 and you can even get TRD beadlocks?? are they real beadlocks? hmm.... lol

idk, the new tacoma's are HARD to pass over.. and there's so much aftermarket support for them if you want to build it for offroad.

and if they discontinue the ranger.. the parts are gonna get harder to find? maybe?

i've drove both and like i mentioned, the ranger just doesn't satisfy me anymore.. last year of the ranger i'd really want is the last year of ttb mixed w/ a 4.0 and 4.10s.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmmm...well, whatever I get is definitively going to be Brand new...I'm done buying used. I want the warranty. That and If i wanted used I'd get a ranger as well due to the resales of tacomas. Its pretty much going to be a DD, work and back, maybe some scrap metal here and there. Not Really worried about 4wd. I don't use it enough.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have friends who have owned Rangers and loved them. After they went and test drove the newer 4 door Tacoma they bought them and still have them. They like the extra space and the motor has more power then their 4.0 Rangers and they are happy with them. They don't need to put a lot i the bed so a shorter bed is perfect for them as well. I would have bought a 4 door Ranger if Ford had sold them here. But after driving several 4 door 4x4 Tacomas I would go the Toyota way again. I have had older Toyota 4x4 trucks that never broke on me and I drove them every where. I still like the Rangers and will always have one. But...my next truck will be a Tacoma if I decide to buy another one, new or used.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
New I would buy Taco, used a Ranger. I have had new Rangers and new Tacomas and new I buy the taco.

Although as far as I can see the Suzuki Equator is a rebadged Tacoma, they even look similar, for a couple thousand less.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
So even if you were only looking for a Reg cab, 2wd 4cyl 5 speed manual everything truck...the tacoma is still the better option? I'm going to a Dealer today to glance at some rangers....Surely There'll be a toyota dealer nearby...dealers always seem to come in packs @_@. I'll probably drive both...see who wants to give me the best deal...my only real terms are that they Pay off my F150 in FULL (total overkill buying an F150...I never needed this much truck)...and match my payments i have now +/- $25. I've heard toyota is a bit more...willing to negotiate.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
So even if you were only looking for a Reg cab, 2wd 4cyl 5 speed manual everything truck...the tacoma is still the better option? I'm going to a Dealer today to glance at some rangers....Surely There'll be a toyota dealer nearby...dealers always seem to come in packs @_@. I'll probably drive both...see who wants to give me the best deal...my only real terms are that they Pay off my F150 in FULL (total overkill buying an F150...I never needed this much truck)...and match my payments i have now +/- $25. I've heard toyota is a bit more...willing to negotiate.
Buy a V6, Bro. You will never be sorry you did. If you want to modify it, lift kit, taller tires you will love the V6. Most people I know who bought a 4 cyl always regreated getting one. Some are happy with them and they never haul a camper or a boat with them or did a lift and taller tires.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Used to have a V6 ranger. PITA to work in the engine compartment. Not to mention a new V6 is totally out of my price range with both trucks. A good 5-6k dollars more than I paid for my Full size P/U.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
all my first trucks were toyotas. loved them and swore by them. but after crashing all of em and running out of money, i switched to a ranger and fell in love after the first 2 lol. i would still love to have a toyota but as stated before, they are very pricey. even 3 yr old tacomas cost more than a brand new ranger. and maintenance and replacement parts cost more, think about that. it may be fine now, but when you hit the 200k mile mark, it will become a pricey truck to repair.

so....if you can afford it, taco is definitely the way to go. expecially if you dont plan to wheel it, the 4dr 6spd is just amazing. and if you ever plan to sell it, at least you know itll hold value

azreb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
I'm surprised to see the previous responses on a Ranger forum. I agree with them. I have owned 4 Toyotas and do not believe Ford has duplicated the quality and reliability. I just bought a '04 Ranger and have noticed several minor quality flaws in the construction. There are also some minor reliability issues. Like most of the others, the price of the Toyotas turns me off.

An alternative: Have you looked at Nissan? I have owned 4 Nissans (all 2wd) and have found them to be rock solid, with no reliability or quality issues, but not up to Toyota standards. I probably would have bought one if I had found one equipped equivalently to my Ranger.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
If your looking for mileage in a 2wd truck then in a Ranger the 4cyl seems to be the way to go. Both of my Tacos were 4wd 5spd kingcab and the one with the V6 (3.4L) got better mileage slinging 265/75/16's that came on both trucks..... Seriously.... Look at the Suzuki Equator..... Bet it says manufactured by Toyota on it somewere...... For a couple thousand less than a tacoma then you could get the V6.

Metallheadd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well while I have no expirence with either truck in newer models, it seems anything mass produced can be a crap shoot. I think Ranger seems to offer great bang for your buck. It also seems to me that the 4cyl. Ranger is the way to go. I say that because unless you off road or just want a smaller truck the 4x4 versions seem to be in line with fullsize mileage. That being said I personally dont care for or need a fullsize. I like the Toyota for the crew cab, "preceived reliability" and resale value. I also think they have a good manufacturing process because everyone wants to mimick it. Just my opinion.

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Nobody asked me but I think the Toyota is a better truck.

Now that I've said that here's my Ranger pros:

1. Good solid truck
2. Bed bolts in the bed, not underneath.
3. Old but proven technology

Now here's the bad:

1. Old but proven technology. There's nothing new about the 2.3 or the 4.0. Ancient engines.

For Toyota:

1. The bed is some kind of composite material. NO RUST!
2. Both the 2.7 and the 3.?? engines are fairly new.
3. Nice and quiet

The bad:

1. No stake holes
2. More money and less content.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals