• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tachometer issues 4.0 ohv

aprather24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
First post! Hello all. Proud owner of a 2000 xlt super cab with the 4.0 in it. I purchased this as a 2nd vehicle to keep my Audi S6 dog free as well as to learn and fix it up. I have a huge list of fixes and maintenance items I've performed and this site has been an absolute huge help.

Now for this problem - The tach has worked intermittently like 2 or 3 times. I did pickup a 2nd gauge cluster and it it not working as well. What I've done to troubleshoot is check all the fuses. I've also hooked up a multi meter to the tan/brn wire at the PCM. ac / or dc the value does not change as I rev the engine. The value I got was like 6 volts. I then made that same reading at the gauge cluster tan/brn wire... same... around 6 volts. I'd say there is continuity from the PCM to the guage cluster.

I do own ForScan and the Mode 6 live data is showing valid live RPM readings. I also hooked up my multimeter to the Coil diagnostic port and I got varying readings as I rev'd the engine. At this point I'm not sure what else to do. I either have two bad tachs in gauge clusters or I'm missing something else.

PS - I have a cheap analog tach on the way to help with troubleshooting.