• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

T5 Master/Slave Problems

sparky2eh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Ranger
Make / Model
1988 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, sold my 1988 302/T5 Ranger to fund the new project and now the buyer is having clutch problems. Pedal always seemed quite hard to push even when I had it.
After I sold it, about 2 weeks after, the 88 Ranger master cylinder appeared to seize, the rod bent and took out the master (replaced it).
Then a couple of months or so later Nissan slave started leaking (replaced it), all were fairly new, less than 500kms on them when I sold the truck. Also same life on clutch and pressure plate at that time.
Anyone else have these problems? Just wondering if there is an inherent problem with the system or just some bad parts. :dunno:

87ranger308

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO bored .030
Transmission
Manual
What type of slave cylinder assembly did you have hooked up? Contaminated fluid?

I'm using the stock master cylinder with a wilwood pull type, never had a master cylinder seize up before.

sparky2eh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Ranger
Make / Model
1988 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It has the stock Ranger Master Cylinder and a 1981 Datsun/Nissan 240Z Slave, with a stainless line. The fluid was new when I built up the clutch system. Then replaced again when the Master died, and again when the slave started leaking........... :icon_confused:

87ranger308

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO bored .030
Transmission
Manual
I just recently had to replace the slave cylinder due to mounting it rigid where it was supposed to be free floating. It dished out the sleeve causing to leak after 5 months. Sounds like your'e going through a round of bad parts, is the slave cylinder a push or pull type?

sparky2eh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Ranger
Make / Model
1988 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It is a push style. Hopefully the new one fixes the problems. Getting tired of bleeding the system.
The Ranger I am building now has a C4 so no clutch bleeding problems with it :)

87ranger308

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO bored .030
Transmission
Manual
Gave up on trying to fabricate a bracket for the push type, besides with the c4 you won't burn up a clutch trying to haul a trailer in heavy traffic. Best of luck on the completion of the next build up.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Gave up on trying to fabricate a bracket for the push type, besides with the c4 you won't burn up a clutch trying to haul a trailer in heavy traffic. Best of luck on the completion of the next build up.
:icon_rofl: No, you'll just burn up the C-4 instead. :D

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi, sold my 1988 302/T5 Ranger to fund the new project and now the buyer is having clutch problems. Pedal always seemed quite hard to push even when I had it.
After I sold it, about 2 weeks after, the 88 Ranger master cylinder appeared to seize, the rod bent and took out the master (replaced it).
Then a couple of months or so later Nissan slave started leaking (replaced it), all were fairly new, less than 500kms on them when I sold the truck. Also same life on clutch and pressure plate at that time.
Anyone else have these problems? Just wondering if there is an inherent problem with the system or just some bad parts. :dunno:
Sounds like the master cylinder is yoo big for the slave and it's bottoming the slave out at full travel. The Ranger master/c comesin two sizes, 3/4" bore and 7/8" bore. I suspect you may have the larger of the two.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the master cylinder is too big for the slave and it's bottoming the slave out at full travel. The Ranger master/c comesin two sizes, 3/4" bore and 7/8" bore. I suspect you may have the larger of the two.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals