• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

T5 for my turbo project

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
Currently have a carbureted 302 with a C4, runs great, super fun. In the process of doing a remote twin turbo blowthru installation. Was looking into rebuilding My C4 but its gonna cost to much. I have a T5 that I traded for a gold bracelet I found at the beach. Came with a new clutch, flywheel, pressure-plate, bell housing, short shifter. Since I have a majority of what ill need I'm kinda (heavily!) leaning towards the 5speed. Trying to save money, haha.
What I know I will need to do is:
•Probably shorten my driveshaft
•Install brake/clutch pedal assembly
•Piece together a hydraulic system
•Mounting bracket for the bell housing
•Figure out the crossmember mounting

I'm sure there's something else. Any thoughts, and links would be great. I've read through so many builds I'm kinda overwhelmed with info. Hoping I can use this thread to organize my ideas.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I did some digging on the T5's I remember seeing that they aren't strong enough to hold 300+ hp. I could be wrong though.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
That all depends on what the T5 is out of, and what your plans are for the motor. Your torque out of the 302 is what is going to make or break the T5. The T5's are rated at around 300 ft. lbs (earliest versions actually rated at 285 ft. lbs) with the 3.35 first gear, which is what came in most of the Fox 5.0's. However, there was an "upgrade" gear cluster, and it has a 2.95 first gear. I believe those are rated at 350 or 375 ft. lbs of torque.

EDIT: Hopefully it's not out of a 4 cylinder. Does it have a tag on it?

Last edited:

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure it has a tag. Ill post whatever info I can find. It's off a 5.0, I believe a 94 or 95. The motor is a H.O. from a 91', cam, aluminum heads, blowthru 650 Holley (quickfuel at some point) rear mounted twin t3/t4's. Hoping for 450+ hp...

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
In all honesty it will hold up to some mild driving but don't plan on it lasting very long with continued romp and stomp driving. Especially with a turbo, guy I know just trashed one with his turbo setup in his mustang, I think he went to the track one 2 or 3 times(unsure of how many passes) and finally made the t5 sound like a Box of rocks rolling around.

You could go with a TH400 build altho I don't know how much it would be to set one of those up.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'm sure it has a tag. Ill post whatever info I can find. It's off a 5.0, I believe a 94 or 95. The motor is a H.O. from a 91', cam, aluminum heads, blowthru 650 Holley (quickfuel at some point) rear mounted twin t3/t4's. Hoping for 450+ hp...
Just an FYI....

If it is out of a 94 or 95, then it has a 5/8 inch longer input shaft and MUST have a 94 or 95 bellhousing. A Fox bellhousing will not work unless you use spacers, which I personally would not recommend - especially with what you are trying to do.

EDIT: When you find the tag, look for "1352-XXX" on it. Those 3 numbers on the end will tell you where it came from, and look it up on this chart in the link below:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

Last edited:

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so it came with the bell housing, new clutch, pressure plate, and short shifter. And according to the tag it's a 94 with the 3.35 1st gear. I got it for free more or less. I traded it for a gold bracelets I found on the beach. I can't sell it for more than ill need to rebuild my C4 so I might as well just use it and if it doesn't last oh well.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Keep in mind the cost down the road to replace the internals then. That might end up costing you more than a c4 upgrade/rebuild if the c4 will hold up to hp you plan on putting out.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
All of this said, I have beat the living hell out of my T5 and it lasted 180,000 miles before it was built. It still shifted fine unless I was racing, and then the synchros would not like to shift at high rpm.

Posting whilst sitting upon the throne.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't hesitate to use that T5.

it has the starter and clutch fork at a lower angle than the foxbody belhousing, but if you're doing custom exhaust anyway, this may not be an issue. (they're placed more like 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock, vs. 3 and 9)

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
is there any info in the forums on setting up an auto ranger to manual?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
sweet, mind pointing me in the right direction. Need to install a brake/clutch pedal assembly first. I've been looking through forums the last couple days but I haven't been able to pinpoint anything specifically about this.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Search for A4LD to M5OD. Some things will be the same, some will be different, but we have done the crap out of auto/manual swaps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals