• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

t 18 adapter

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys i got my 1990 ranger im putting a 302 in the transmission im using is a t18 or 19 one and i have the bw 1345 that came with the trans, but i got a np 205 or 305 i cant ever remember which, and since the np tcase is smaller i was wondering where i could get an adapter to hook the 2 together, ive looked in the avance adapters book i have and i didnt see one, anywhere else i could look?

Thanks
Jon

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no clue what so ever as to where to get diff adapters? anybody?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You shouldn't need any adapters. All the fullsize t-cases including the BW1345 uses a common round 6 bolt pattern. The BW case us chain driven with no shift rails while the NP205 is gear driven and has shift rails. Most likely you will have to grind a notch in the extension housing at the 6 hole flange to clear the shift rail. There are no adapters needed for what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to figure up an adapter to make a doubler that won't happen. The only doubler you will find for a NP 205 is an NP203/205 doubler.

Matt

Matt

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
You sure the T-18 will fit in there? I tried that with my ranger and the shift lever just about came right up through the center of the dashboard. luckily it was a piece of crap and I didn't care about it and I managed to rig it to work. Beat and cut the crap out of the bottom of my dash though, not to mention my floor...

Kind of an early pic in my issues, didn't have any pics of the solution to my predicament, but it wasn't very clean looking...

Last edited:

jonsranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey captain, did you have a body lift, i was gonna get one to help with some clearences, but thanks for the pics, and if you do i was thinkin bout a custom dash anyway, and what is the gearing like in the trans, any reccomends on axle gears, how did you set up your clutch? mine didnt come with anything clutch related just the imput shaft, right now im still in the process of building the engine, but any help on how to throw this t 18 thing in would be awesome,

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I ended up doing alot of things "wrong". No body lift, because in actuality both the middle body mounts are just about non existent. and I used the larger truck bellhousing as well.

A body lift would help tremendously. I ended up taking the 8 ton hydraulic jack and having my 2 largest family members sit in the cab to bend it up out of the way enough.

Gearing should be 6.32 ; 3.09 ; 1.69 ; and 1, R 7.44. Though there are many versions of the trans. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm Some will interchange, some wont.

Gearing, I'd actually recommend a little higher axle gearing, the first gear is really slow, it's basically low range. and the lack of overdrive is going to be annoying on the highway.

The clutch I got as all one unit from a 1987 F150, I think it actually had a NP435, which is more or less an improved T18, and they will interchange. Had the 302 in it, correct flywheel imbalance, pressure plate, etc. got the master and slave clutch cylinders too, literally the whole entire thing between the engine and tranny. My F50 master ended up stopping working about the 3rd time I pressed down on it, eventually I gave up and put the Rangers master onto the lines and put that back in. The clutch lines are actually a plastic, just heat it up a little with an electric heat gun and carefully reshape the line to where you need it to go. For connecting the ends on the cylinders it's basically a zerk type kind of fitting (don't know if it actually is) but I just heated up the end of the line and slid it over (leave some extra, mine took a couple tries before it slid on right), no leaks so far and my clutch works. I did have to do a little work to the pedal attachment though, needed some extra travel on the pedal to get enough movement to disengage it.

Yeah, it's really rigged, but so far it's worked for me.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Yes it will fit and really a body lift is needed to keep from the problems with the dash as seen. The shifter takes some work. If you want a good crawl ratio this trans will help in that department. I have the same deal with my ZF, 1st gear is pretty much useless if you are on the street. That trans as with most of the older HD trans are a low gear plus 3 gears; start out in second. The t18 and 19 are pretty much the same; the big difference is the 19 has a syncronized 1st gear. Internally some of the stuff interchages some doesn't. You need to look what casting numbers you have and search around. You will need all the clutch stuff, flywheel, throw out bearing and so on.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals