• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Synthetic Blend change interval 1996 Ranger

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What's a good oil change interval for a 96 3.0L Ranger if you're using a synthetic blend? I put in Mobil 1 blend because that's all I could find today. I'm thinking 5000 miles at least but oil change place (usually do my own) says 3000. Its probably so you come back sooner, but I'm wondering if 5000 miles is reasonable for an old engine with synthetic blend. I'm having trouble finding info I trust because people weren't using blended oil a lot in 1996 when the truck was made. Oil change interval has a lot to do with clearances and filtering etc. and those things weren't quite as good 25 years ago.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
3,000 miles or 6 months. Whichever comes first. Changing the oil is cheaper than changing the engine...

If you go full synthetic and do mostly highway driving you could probably stretch to 5,000 miles. But even with synthetic, if you do mostly stop and go driving then 3,000.

There's really no benefits to using synthetic blend either. Full synthetic oil is generally just as cheap, if not cheaper. 5 quarts of Pennzoil ultra or Mobil 1 is only about $20-25 bucks throw in a motorcraft filter and you've got $30 for a full synthetic oil change.

Last edited:

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What's a good oil change interval for a 96 3.0L Ranger if you're using a synthetic blend? I put in Mobil 1 blend because that's all I could find today. I'm thinking 5000 miles at least but oil change place (usually do my own) says 3000. Its probably so you come back sooner, but I'm wondering if 5000 miles is reasonable for an old engine with synthetic blend. I'm having trouble finding info I trust because people weren't using blended oil a lot in 1996 when the truck was made. Oil change interval has a lot to do with clearances and filtering etc. and those things weren't quite as good 25 years ago.
Yes, a 3000 mile interval is always a safe bet. 5 miles or 50 or 100 or 1000 would also be a safe bet. I bought synthetic blend because that is the only thing the oil change place had and due to circumstances I couldn't control I needed to pay someone to do my oil change. Otherwise, I always change my own oil and I use high quality synthetic with a high quality filter. I use 5000 miles for my change interval for synthetic which I've found to be very conservative. My cars typically last at least 20 years ... usually 25. I don't like the idea of blend but when it is the only option you have it has to be better than dino oil. Oil change places recommend 3000 miles for dino oil. By the way, the 96 ranger owners manual recommends a 5000 mile interval for dino oil for normal service. Typically the manufacturers change interval is accurate and will result in a long engine life. I didn't have time to look that up before posting this and that is why I asked about it.

Last edited:

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Synthetic blend is good to use in your 96, and changing it at 5000 miles is sufficient. I bought my 94 3.0 new and he now has 615,000 miles...since day 1, I have always used Ford 5-30 synthetic blend with a Ford oil filter. I have always done oil changes at 5000 miles.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
While I agree that changing your oil is much cheaper than changing your engine, changing any modern oil at 3000 miles is wasting money unless its your race car. Every 5000 miles is plenty often, and changing full synthetic every 10,000 is often enough for the driving I do. I have plenty of used oil analysis reports to make that a scientific decision, not an old wives tale.

The whole 3000 mile oil change interval is literally 50 year old news, but modern oils are dramatically better than oil was 50 years ago, and it simply lasts longer before breaking down.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Want to talk about change interval. In late 2009, after I bought my Lightning, my sister asked if she could borrow the Ranger for a year, til she got on her feet financially. Four years later I finally got it back, after my Lightning had been t-boned and I needed it back. Had more than 40,000 miles more on it than when she had taken it, from upper 80,000 to upper 120,000. Sticker for the oil change in the windshield was the last one I had done in late 2009. Asked her if she'd ever changed it, she said "nope". WTF? Don't ever loan your vehicle to family. They'll drive it hard and put it away wet.

But, having said that, there were no repercussions. I've always run 20W-50 in it. It's always had a small leak. She did keep it topped up. Ran some engine flush through it, put in Valvoline Max Life 20w-50, and it's all good. It's now headed to 179,000 and it doesn't use any oil between changes. The small leak isn't enough to make a big noticeable change on the dipstick. I change it somewhere north of 5000 now. I know it can go 40,000+ with no difficulty. Thanks Sis!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
While I agree that changing your oil is much cheaper than changing your engine, changing any modern oil at 3000 miles is wasting money unless its your race car. Every 5000 miles is plenty often, and changing full synthetic every 10,000 is often enough for the driving I do. I have plenty of used oil analysis reports to make that a scientific decision, not an old wives tale.

The whole 3000 mile oil change interval is literally 50 year old news, but modern oils are dramatically better than oil was 50 years ago, and it simply lasts longer before breaking down.
There is no question that todays oil is better but it still needs to be changed because it gets diluted with combustion byproducts and moisture. If you do a lot of short trips where the engine doesn't reach operating temps, the oil gets diluted faster. During the humid summer months the engine draws humid air in through the PCV system and that moisture ends up in the oil. When an engine sits in the winter and cools down, more moisture condenses and more combustion byproducts end up in the oil during the longer warm up period. If you always drive 10 or more miles after starting- with no shut downs- you can go more miles between changes, if you constantly make short trips, you should change it at fewer miles. I consider twice a year the minimum for every vehicle. I basing this on working in service from 1972 to 2017, call that on old wives tale if you want. I still have friends who sell engines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals