• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Switched from P tires to LT tires, what pressure should I run them at?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
Hey everyone, I have a 2009 Ford Ranger FX4 and I just dropped a ton of money on some new LT265/75/R16 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO tires. The tires that came on the truck were the size P255/70/R16. What kind of pressure should I be running the LT tires at? The placard on the door shows to fill them to 30psi. Just thought I'd get some input before I mount and balance them today. Thanks everyone. I will post pictures when they are mounted!

westonmt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
What's the load range? I bought E rated BFG Rugged Terrains because of the thicker sidewall. I run them at 40 PSI (max 80 PSI with this load range tire) and have gotten even wear after the first 7000 or so miles. If it's the same load range as the OE tires, I'd stick with the pressure listed on the sticker. Regardless, pay attention to how they wear constantly and take periodic measurements. Adjust the pressure if they aren't wearing evenly (more pressure for higher outside wear; less for higher inside wear) and keep them rotated regularly and you'll be fine.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It should say right in the tire. Whatever the tire says trumps the door sticker.

EDIT: Just run around 5 psi under the max is what I was told by a guy I know over at Big O.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It should say right in the tire. Whatever the tire says trumps the door sticker.
No, that is the max the tire can be filled to. The sticker is what Ford says it should be filled to for optimum tire wear, control, fuel economy and ride... of course non standard tires blow that out of the park.

It is going to be different depending on what the tire ends up on, a F-350 with a gooseneck needs more pressure than a little Ranger that runs around mostly empty.

You are going to have to experiment and see what wears and rides the best if nobody else pipes up... and even then it may vary from brand/model to brand/model of your tires.

I just checked the load range E tires on our service truck, max is 80psi... my Ranger would spend more time in the air than on the ground with 75 psi in the tires.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
No, that is the max the tire can be filled to. The sticker is what Ford says it should be filled to for optimum tire wear, control, fuel economy and ride... of course non standard tires blow that out of the park.

It is going to be different depending on what the tire ends up on, a F-350 with a gooseneck needs more pressure than a little Ranger that runs around mostly empty.

You are going to have to experiment and see what wears and rides the best if nobody else pipes up... and even then it may vary from brand/model to brand/model of your tires.

I just checked the load range E tires on our service truck, max is 80psi... my Ranger would spend more time in the air than on the ground with 75 psi in the tires.
EDIT: What the hell tires are you running that are max 80 psi? My F150 has a max load of 50 psi, and they are some heavy duty tires. Maybe Dude's recommendation was based off my truck and the tire. He came out and looked at the max and said to go 5 under. Didn't even look at the door sticker.

Last edited:

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
That I know of, the best way to get an accurate reading for tire wear/pressure, would be to do the chalk testing.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Air the tire up to spec, draw a chalk line across the thread and roll the truck. If its all worn off, your good... If the outsides aren't touching, lower air pressure accordingly. Tire/rim width combos make this the tricky bit. I was running 22F/18R psi to get my 14.50 wide tires on 10's to sit flat.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
EDIT: What the hell tires are you running that are max 80 psi? My F150 has a max load of 50 psi, and they are some heavy duty tires. Maybe Dude's recommendation was based off my truck and the tire. He came out and looked at the max and said to go 5 under. Didn't even look at the door sticker.
Peerless Widetrack Baja AT's, 235/85-16, load range E on a SRW F-350. The high PSI is super common for heavy pickup tires, the other two trucks are out but I bet they are similar. I know people run that size and even rated tire on Rangers.

45psi isn't bad for a half ton (that is what I run with my oversized tires on my '150), I just don't think your 5psi rule is safe across the board by any means.

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I ran LT265/75r16's in a load range E (80psi max) on my 05 sport trac, ran them at 35psi all the way around and they wore great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals