• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sway bars on a first gen

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Those definitely look similar to what's on my "parts" BII 4x4's. My 89 BII 4x4 has the plates for sure..

But my 87 2wd Ranger definitely doesn't have the holes in the frame to mount those plates or any bar on the front. (i know it would originally be a behind the axle setup if it had one, but 97 beam swap...)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seems almost random who got what with the later first gens.

The truck in the pic with the plate style was a 2.8 BII, I think my '85 has the holes but I haven't found a nice set of plates to confirm. But mine is 4wd too (as are most BII's including the one I took a pic of) Maybe the 2wd's stayed with behind the axle longer and given that the frame is different they didn't bother adding the 4wd style bracket holes to the 2wd frame?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Seems almost random who got what with the later first gens.

The truck in the pic with the plate style was a 2.8 BII, I think my '85 has the holes but I haven't found a nice set of plates to confirm. But mine is 4wd too (as are most BII's including the one I took a pic of) Maybe the 2wd's stayed with behind the axle longer and given that the frame is different they didn't bother adding the 4wd style bracket holes to the 2wd frame?
Most 2wds (that I have seen) had the steering shield. I think it used those hole instead of the sway bar mounts.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most 2wds (that I have seen) had the steering shield. I think it used those hole instead of the sway bar mounts.
That makes sense too.

I don't spend much time under 2wd's...

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8

I was thinking that myself, but the "swoopy crossmember" steering shield seems further forward than the sway bar on the 4x4 BII. It may just be the way I"m looking at it though. I need to take some measurements.

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just pulled the sway bar off my 88 ranger rwd extra cab which was mounted behind the I beams to the inside of the radius arms and pulled a front mounted sway bar off a 1990 and put iron mine. All the holes were there in the right spots for the swap. I’m going to tap a hole where that jack prong was I cut off for the front sway bar bolt.

Attachments

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
Can't you run the original sway bar still with those beams? I don't have much experience with the second gen,(B2) front facing sway bar But I do know I like the radius arm sway bara that I have. Is there a noticeable difference?

John94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
No I couldn’t use them with my lift I had to remove the crossmember the radius arms were mounted to. And the kit came with the drop links and I wanted to try and use them. I think the front mounted sway bar may be stiffer than the one I removed but it could just be the new skyjacker springs. Seems to work fine. I’m putting the 2” coil spacer, 3” body lift and a drop shackle in the back this weekend. I’ll take more pics when it’s done. I’m also dropping the carrier bearing crossmember as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals