• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sway bars on a first gen

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow, first real question since the forum has restarted so here goes.

I have a 1984 Ranger that I'm currently working on replacing the motor in, and while I have the front end torn appart I want to install a sway bar. I got one little problem with it though. I know on most later first gens it bolted to the front of the beams same as it did on the 2nd gens. On the early ones (IE: my 84) it apparently would have bolted to the radius arm behind the shock mount (referring to the end links). Unfortunately the junk yards have no RBVs with sway bar mounts like I'm referring to. I could grab one that mounts to the front of the beam if it weren't for one slight problem, which will probably be easier to show than tell.

Yes that's a stud sticking out the front of the I beam where the bar would mount. I have no idea if it's threaded or not and don't really want to go prying on it in the event it ain't. If anyone knows if that stud will screw out the info would be appreaciated, otherwise I'm stuck looking for a proper bar, or after market (depending on where they mount at).

bluovaldude

Reaction score
That is a good question... Judging by your picture it almost looks like it is threaded in.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IDK I climbed under with a wire brush, PB-Blaster and channel locks and wasn't able to get anywhere. It almost appears that the stud is cast in, but I don't want to screw something up trying to find out. I beams are 10 bucks from the yard, so I may just pull them with the bars. I mean 40 bucks for front and rear bars ain't bad. IIRC 2wd Ranger and BII I beams are the same, so all I got to do is unblot the spindles, the axle pivot bolt, and coil spring, and bolt them in place of mine. It'll also give me a good excuse to put in a good set of polyurethane bushings.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Will not hurt anything to do that either.
But if you might want to try to heat the bolt and with a pair of channel locks and try twisting it off.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Sorry to dig up an old thread but having the info all in one place has it's merits..

I'm doing a 97 beam swap on my 87 2wd and I already have the 97 sway bar. I'd like to run it if possible. Does anyone know if the 87 2wd frame accepts the later sway bar mounts easily? It doesn't seem like it will, but I thought someone else might have already found a solution here.

On my 87 there doesn't seem to be any place to mount the brackets, and there's this long pointed stud, pointing straight down on the bottom of the drivers side frame rail that seems like it would be in the way.

I'm thinking I may have to fabricate my own mounts.

Any thoughts?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The holes should be there. They are present on mine, and my rails are from an 87 2wd. The straps probably won't line up though, there were a set of plates that bolted to the frame and then the straps bolt to the plates. It's dumb, but it's how they did it back then.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Thanks for that info ADSM08. Looks like I'll be making my own mounts, or at least part of them. When I bought my 97 beams, I went ahead and took the sway bar, and the rubber bushings and straps that secure them but I don't remember there being any other plates.. I'll have to have another look at all of the parts I have.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I haven't dealt with the later TTB ones much, but I believe that around 93 the spacing of the frame holes changed.

I have a sway bar from a 95 that doesn't match up to my frame. My 88 has a front sway bar that goes in front of the axle, and mounts to the plates I mentioned. It looks like the strap spacing on it is similar to the other pieces I have.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I should be able to come up with something. Between my two 89 Bronco II's, my 87-88 Bronco II, an 89 Ranger 4x4, and a 2002 Ranger 4x4 ex cab, all for parts, I've got spare parts coming out of my butt. lol

If not, I can build whatever I need. I was just hoping for a bolt-on solution for once.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I should be able to come up with something. Between my two 89 Bronco II's, my 87-88 Bronco II, an 89 Ranger 4x4, and a 2002 Ranger 4x4 ex cab, all for parts, I've got spare parts coming out of my butt. lol

If not, I can build whatever I need. I was just hoping for a bolt-on solution for once.
It is my understanding that the forward front sway bar should be on any B2 from at least 88 up, maybe earlier, so one of those B2s should have it.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Well, that's good news for sure. I need to have a look at them when it dries up some more. It's a slop pit around here right now.

I think I remember one of them having a 1" rear sway bar as well. I doubt I'll use it but it's a definite possibility.

Does the front sway bar mount plate go over that pointed stud facing downward on the frame rail? Kind of a locating dowel?

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The change in the way the forward located sway bar mounts to the frame occurred in 1992 when the crumple zone frame rails were introduced. Before '92 they bolted to those plates which were then bolted to the frame. '92+ bolted directly to the frame.

I think I remember one of them having a 1" rear sway bar as well. I doubt I'll use it but it's a definite possibility.
If your B2 does have a 1" rear sway bar I'd be interested in it for my '88 GT. I think only the later ~'87-'90 2wds had them though.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Oh, that makes it sound like I'll definitely be fabricating some mounts for my sway bars then. IF I want to use the 97 sway bar that is.. We'll have to see how it all goes together I guess.

As for the BII rear sway bar, I'm not 100% certain what I have is a 1" bar. I seem to remember crawling under them all and measuring them when I was considering parting them out, but my memory isn't the best. If I do have a 1" bar then I'll probably end up using it in the long run. It seems like I only had one of them, but again, memory issues. lol

The change in the way the forward located sway bar mounts to the frame occurred in 1992 when the crumple zone frame rails were introduced. Before '92 they bolted to those plates which were then bolted to the frame. '92+ bolted directly to the frame.

If your B2 does have a 1" rear sway bar I'd be interested in it for my '88 GT. I think only the later ~'87-'90 2wds had them though.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I went to the back field and checked my BII's today. I see what you mean about the plates that the sway bar mounts to. Only one problem. My 87 2wd truck doesn't have any holes in the bottom of the frame to mount anything in front of the beams. There's one hole and that's it. Unless I unbolt the curvy front crossmember, but it seems way too far forward.

So it looks like I'll be drilling holes in the bottom of the frame rail and possibly welding nuts to the frame over the holes. I'll find a solution in the end I guess.

I'll have to get the plates pulled from my 89 BII (easiest one, with no engine in it) and get under my 87 2wd and see what everything looks like.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For anyone wondering...

Early sway bar ahead of axle with plates: (note braces that run up to frame rail too)

Later style that bolts on the frame:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals