• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swapping power windows/locks to manual

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Howdy, today I picked up a 94 ranger that has power windows and powers locks. The locks don’t lock, even with the key. And the power windows are ass.
Im wanting to swap to manual locks and crank windows. Should i bother with trying to swap those things on the existing doors? Or would it be easier to find manual doors, pop em on, and cap the electrical?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I thought about doing this the other day after the third time repairing my power windows.
New (Pull yard) doors would be the easiest thing in my squirrel brain. I've replaced doors before and they are not that difficult to do.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Other than getting to door card and the manual crank mechanism, there shouldn’t be much to it. I think the only difference in the lock mechanism is the solenoid linked to it and should only require removing the solenoid.

I may be misremembering but I think there are some pretty big pop rivets involved in the job. The tool and the rivets can be had at Harbor Freight. Knocking out the center pin and drilling out the rivet head isn’t that big of a deal.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Geez, and there I wanted to replace my manual windows and door locks with powered units.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The power door locks are moot, they are manual now, since they don't work anyway, lol

So I would just get the manual crank regulators and door panels, to put in existing doors

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well the existing locks don’t even work as manual locks either haha. They’re permanently unlocked as far as I can tell, that’s why I’m wondering if I should just get a whole different set of doors.
Ive been trying to find something helpful on YouTube but haven’t had much success

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Well the existing locks don’t even work as manual locks either haha. They’re permanently unlocked as far as I can tell, that’s why I’m wondering if I should just get a whole different set of doors.
Ive been trying to find something helpful on YouTube but haven’t had much success
Have you tried disconnecting the lock solenoids and see if they are just stuck because the solenoids are seized?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Power window regulators are held in place by five rivets. Drill out the center and punch them out. To replace you need to either re-rivet them or use nuts and bolts. Not hard to do, just time consuming.

Have you tried disconnecting the lock solenoids and see if they are just stuck because the solenoids are seized?
Makes sense.

And as RonD said, they're manual now anyway :p

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i will give that a shot when I get the chance, thank you everybody for the replies!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After door panel is off Spray the lock solenoid's rod with WD40 or similar lube, pull up the boot if it has one, and get rod to move, probably just not used for many year and is frozen

Its a 12v solenoid, with 2 wires, when it has 12v/ground it unlocks, ground/12v it locks, so rod is free floating and can move in either direction when there is no power, that is why you can lock or unlock door using the key or the "knob", solenoid is free to move, yours is not, lol

CoolMick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
After door panel is off Spray the lock solenoid's rod with WD40 or similar lube, pull up the boot if it has one, and get rod to move, probably just not used for many year and is frozen

Its a 12v solenoid, with 2 wires, when it has 12v/ground it unlocks, ground/12v it locks, so rod is free floating and can move in either direction when there is no power, that is why you can lock or unlock door using the key or the "knob", solenoid is free to move, yours is not, lol
Ooh I see! Thank you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals