• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) swapping intakes on the 2.3 to get rid of swirl plates

cozz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey long time...so last time I was here, I had an awesome 1990 2.3 that had 250000thousand on it...I inherited a 2001, 2.3 and sold the old truck (so wish I hadn't) Anyways, I find out the new 2.3 was supposed to be in a FWD Mazda, and I hate it, but hey, it keeps going.
Anyways, 8-9 years ago, I got a new intake for it under Fords reccomendation, and replaced it with a Dorman , at that time i found out about the dreaded swirl plates that will one day, default to closed position, flood your engine, if you keep driving it, wash the oil off your cylinder walls, and burn up your engine...yes I have actually read this story somewhere.
So I work out of this thing, and was going to remove the intake to get to some hoses and stuff, and was looking for intakes.....just in case, because ya know, it's shit plastic, and I noticed that it's hardly available, and expensive if it is, but I found the intake for the 2004-2010 Ford Ranger part#4L5Z9424AA is available- AND HAS NO FREAKING SWRL PLATES, lol (I wonder if Ford got sued or something) What really funny, is on the new one, there is a mounting bracket for the swirl place vacuum control, but the axle rod hole is sealed up
So the plumbing looks very close, EGR in same place, can't tell if the tiny vacuum line under runner #1 is there, but hey, I got a drill....on the back top, there is some sort of big vaccum port not on the earlier model
So has anyone used a 04-11 intake on their earlier model 2.3? It is cheaper also!
here's a link to the newer one

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'm about ready to put a 2005 manifold on a 2002.
if I remember where I stashed the 2002 I could compare them.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can swap intakes but computer will set codes because IMRC is not responding
Same as getting rid of the heated thermostat sets a code
These were both 2001-2003 "great ideas", NOT, lol

Unfortunately you can't swap computers because 2004-2011 Rangers got the microprocessor digital clusters(HEC)
HEC and computer are "married" at the factory so people can't swap in lower mile odometers
Also they use Digital Data communication between them, CAN Bus, so dash wiring is totally different

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
in my situation I'll be putting a 2002 2.3 engine with a 2005 intake manifold in a 2005 Ranger. should be OK.

for cozz I'd suggest just removing flappers and leaving the rod % mechanism in.
I'd have to look at the 2002 manifold again to see what holds the rod bushings in place.
or if needed, trim the flaps down to a harmless level and not tell the PCM.

some have questioned the durability of plastic intakes. my 2005 has 367,500 miles on it with no cracking issues.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Engines(long blocks) were the same 2001-2011 only the intakes were different, so no issues if using the 2005 computer and intake

Any time these 2.3ls are out or transmission is off change the coolant fitting on the back of the head, these liked to leak and there is no access because of firewall
As said these engines were designed for transverse mount in FWD cars, so PCV Valve and rear head coolant access would be easy, not so in Rangers/B2300s

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
on a 2002 manifold the flappers come in separate housings.
the housings are needed to form the channel for the green intake port gaskets, and to match the shape of the head ports.
they also locate the bushings for the square shaft.
there are several bushings, small at the actuator, larger between the runners.

the flappers can be removed from the housings. caution,,the housings are a bit fragile.
then put it back together and the PCM will be happy.

2022-05-11 10.40.14.jpg

cozz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It looks like the newer manifold is the same from pics, minus the flaps and it's axle....even has mounting holes for the IMRC...was going to mount it where it normally goes, and just have the little arm control "nothing" looks like the ports are the same, uses same gaskets I think. It obviously doesn't need those plates, or they wouldn't have stopped using them, lol

cozz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Engines(long blocks) were the same 2001-2011 only the intakes were different, so no issues if using the 2005 computer and intake

Any time these 2.3ls are out or transmission is off change the coolant fitting on the back of the head, these liked to leak and there is no access because of firewall
As said these engines were designed for transverse mount in FWD cars, so PCV Valve and rear head coolant access would be easy, not so in Rangers/B2300s
Believe it or not, I actually did change the 3 way hose without removing the tranny- it was a b****, but I was able to use some hemostats on the factory clamp, them a long screwdriver to replace it with a worm clamp...I love the truck, but they really screwed the pooch putting this motor in it

cozz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm about ready to put a 2005 manifold on a 2002.
if I remember where I stashed the 2002 I could compare them.
the later one has a wierd funky fitting on the back for the pcv valve, but other than that they look identical minus the flaps...even has the mounting hole for the vacuum control for the flaps...I'm thinking just mount the vacuum control, and let the computer think the flaps are still there, and live happily ever after, lol

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
that weird funky thing is where the 3 hoses attach. it's removed with 2 screws for easier access to the hoses.
the big hose is the vapors from the PCV , 2 smaller hoses are coolant to heat the tube where it enters the intake.
the actual PCV is mounted on the oil separator.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals