• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swapping in the 4.0L

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My 2.8 has nothing left. I have decided the 4.0L is the best motor to drop in that is affordable has plenty of power and has good fuel millage. I could use any input that you have on performing the swap. What year 4.0 is the best to swap in, what are the easiest mods to do to the motor before i drop it in. Will my original Mitsubishi F145 manual transmission get the job done? Does anybody have 4.0 headers, y-pipes, performance chips, or any other performance parts for the 4.0 that they can part with?

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
Transmission
Manual
This thread will get plenty of hits.
Find a good running 91-94 Explorer, the body, and transmission are not important, but a good manual transmission model will cost less in the end.
Swap everything from the Explorer to the B2, ECM, heater/AC, steering column, dash and all wiring, some of the wiring will have to be shortened.
With the exception of the rear axle spring perches having to be moved, everything else is bolt in or on. The lower radiator hose will have to be worked around a little.
The fm145 will last a while if it is in good condition now, and you don't hammer on it when you get things running, you will want to change the clutch to a 10" which will require a little grinding inside the bellhousing for clearance, an automatic transmission starter will not work with a manual flywheel.
Get started with an idea and start asking questions, this swap has been done a lot, and answers are going to vary but will get headed in the right direction.

Ray

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your help Ray. I just purchased a 97 Ranger with the Mazda manual transmission. I know the 97 will be a little harder to install into my bronco but it was a killer deal. Your post was the first I have read about swapping in the steering column. How essential is this? Thank you again for your help.

P.S. Is there anybody who is looking for parts off of a Ranger xlt 4x4 red with grey interior?

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I am idley looking for a grey 97 seat (if it's in great condition, including the armrest thingy) , what's your local?

I'm doing the same swap very soon as well........ will be watching this thread.

Frank

Last edited:

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have two grey bucket seats that are in great shape. My local is Howell, Michigan. I will keep you posted on the obstacles that I run into as I start to get my hands dirty with this swap.

Peace
John

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
Transmission
Manual
The steering column isn't a requirement, but it will make the use of the dash go a lot easier. The hole in the firewall will have to be enlarged a little, but a die grinder takes care of that pretty quickly. The steering column has all the wiring that matches up with the rest of the wiring in the dash, it is a little bit of a pain, but worth it in the end.
Check out this site: http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=603432e345597f93ab0dec1d8f31b917 Joel has done about everything you can to a B2. On this forum he is COPYCAT.

Ray

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a 86 b2 from a 93 ranger 4.0 swap.I tried to run my old steering column with the new dash and wiring and my fuel pump relay would'nt turn on plugged in the 93 turn wiper switch took right off.I've been told recently that's because when the motion safety switch is flipped in an accident the flashers automatically comes on so the wiring is integrated.When I got them both changed I really liked the way it looked way better.

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How essential is swapping the interior. I would like to keep my interior as stock as possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals