• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swapping a single cab on a ext. cab frame?

Smokin2.tree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm new to this forum and have wanted to expand my knowledge when it came to the differences in the frame. I recently purchased a 1988 ford ranger xlt and it has a rotted body and i have wanted to go to a flatbed and a single cab for a while now... problem. I don't understand if i should cut the single cab frame and merry it to the existing decent ext frame? also, does anyone know how to get a manual transfercase to budge from 2H? ive tried pb blaster and i dont want to ruin the linkage since these trucks are becoming very slim to none in the northeast. Also, does anyone know if the wiring harnesses are different from 1988 and 1991? I think they are the same. being that the truck I'm using for the cab is a 1991 2wd 4 banger. Lastly, I am not in the mood of making an elongated bed for the truck or messing with wheelbases. I'm going to a solid axle and this is becoming a rock crawler, so it's going to have a flatbed.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Why do people keep having this same bad idea?

If you have to ask this question you likely don't have the welding skills to put the frame back together when you are done. But to do it I believe you would need to shorten the section between the second cab mount and the riser to fit the cab. Bobbing in the rear for a short bed, eh, just build a longer flat bed. Your wheel base is going to get messed up anyway.

The transfer case, keep spraying, keep trying. They suck when they get stuck. Get something better than PB.

The wiring harnesses from 88 and 91 share a basic general shape. Other than that they are very different.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The harnesses changed a lot over the years, but if you have both trucks it should be a non issue... for instance the fuel pump and tail light harness was repinned with different wire colors between '89 and an early '90 when I did my chassis swap.

The front body mounts will be the same, but you'd have to move the rear body mount to fit somewhere.

For the transfer case it depends on why it's stuck, I'd loosen the 3 bolts on the side for the linkage and just try turning the lever on the side of the case, it could just be the shifter bushings rusted together...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Single cab on a an extended cab frame? The frames are the same from the front bumper to the back of the Rag cab. throw that single cab on and then build your flatbed over the rest of the frame. DONE.

I would also like to add that I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. :dunno:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I would also like to add that I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. :dunno:

If you want a serious performance gain, hold your throttle body open so that your truck idles at wide open throttle, then hold your intake tube in a bag of coal slag.

The intake vacuum will suck the abrasive media into the engine and abrasive flow port your intake and heads for free.

I should have my own performance page in the tech section.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If I was building a reg cab flat bed out of a super cab... I’d bolt the cab on and make new rear cab mount brackets. Then I’d make a flat bed the length I needed. The amount of work it would take to build/cut a supercab frame down to regular cab length isn’t worth it when I could just get a regular cab frame and be done with it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
This reminds me of a truck I once saw. It was a New work truck, Lets say F350 (?) but there was a space between the cab and bed ( about 2', maybe) and in that space was a compressor and welding machine. I thought that was a genius use of space. the compressor and welder wasn't IN the bed like most work truck that have the same equipment. The bed still had room for all the tools and things. I assumed it was like putting a single cab on a quad cab frame with the bed where it would be on a quad cab. leaving the space between the cab and bed free to put equipment there.
like this (kind of)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals