• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swapped to full synthetic oil!!!

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
swapped over at 109,000 miles ish. Prior to the swap didn't leak or burn a drop of oil at any length of oil change. Its been 3 days and i can honestly tell that my truck idles better and the engine runs alot more quietly. Even when i shift it seems to transition from gears better, all in all my truck is running alot better and its not burning or leaking anything!!! Granted its only 3 days but its helped alot over conventional. Also on a side note a little tad bit of info i found out, i went to the local napa and was looking for a case of synthetic valvoline 5/30 to use, and they only had 3 quarts. So the lady behind the counter told me she wasn't supposed to say but napa oil and valvoline are the same oil! Sure enough on the back of the bottle they come from the same company....and napa is 1 dollar less a quart, just to let everyone know.

Theateys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Past: 1991, 199
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're fuel economy should shoot up quite a bit as well. I switched all my vehicles after watching Trucks! coax 50 more hp out of a Ram regular cab 1500 with the Magnum V8. I use Royal purple in my truck along with a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. I can go 10,000 miles between oil changes. One thing I found out is that if you buy synthetic...buy a comparable oil filter to go with it.

dp88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
all the parts store "Branded" oil is someone else's for cheaper.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
haha, yeah i hope i see better fuel economy....i use napa gold oil filters would that be good enough for synthetic oil?

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Just use a good oil filter. Lucas also makes synthetic oil additive,it's like $2 more but I have only found it one place in this area. Restore for the oil also works well with engines with higher mileage,it brought my vacume up from 18-19 to 21-22.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sweet, i assume napa gold is a good filter. I'm just happy no leaks and a better smoother running motor...and relieved that its not leaking or burning.....so all is well.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You're fuel economy should shoot up quite a bit as well. I switched all my vehicles after watching Trucks! coax 50 more hp out of a Ram regular cab 1500 with the Magnum V8.
:bsflag:

I'm all for synthetic oil when it's needed. I run it in the motorcycle because of the higher shear stresses and potentially higher heat. You are absolutely NOT going to get a noticeable improvement in either power or fuel economy from it, however.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
See, I'm not such a big believer in synthetic oils... Extended service intervals? Sure... 50 RWHP and significant improvement in fuel mileage? Never... I run synthetic in the Camaro due to higher stresses (11:1 CR), and Motorcraft in the Ford trucks... What I'd like to see is 2 identical engines on the same dyno... One with synthetic, one with dino oil... I'd put money on <10 FWHP difference and MAYBE 0.5 - 1 mpg difference... Is it worth it? For the extended service intervals, and extra protection for higher stress motors? Of course, but for your everyday car/truck? Just not worth the extra scratch to me...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
See, I'm not such a big believer in synthetic oils... Extended service intervals? Sure... 50 RWHP and significant improvement in fuel mileage? Never... I run synthetic in the Camaro due to higher stresses (11:1 CR), and Motorcraft in the Ford trucks... What I'd like to see is 2 identical engines on the same dyno... One with synthetic, one with dino oil... I'd put money on <10 FWHP difference and MAYBE 0.5 - 1 mpg difference... Is it worth it? For the extended service intervals, and extra protection for higher stress motors? Of course, but for your everyday car/truck? Just not worth the extra scratch to me...
Even your estimates are exponentially higher than I would have tossed out.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i only paid the extra 2 bucks a quart for this oil. My conventional was like 3.99 ish maybe 4.19 or something, it was the valvoline vr1 racing, which i'm sure is regular valvoline with a different sticker. And napa full synthetic was 5.99 a quart, so only an extra 10 bucks a oil change. I'm not changing for the extra long service intervals, i'm gonna change every 4-5,000 miles or every 5-6 months when needed but the synthetic i think will help protect and clean the motor better and maybe give my truck a little more life down the road...i wasn't looking for more power or extra fuel mileage at all.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i only paid the extra 2 bucks a quart for this oil. My conventional was like 3.99 ish maybe 4.19 or something, it was the valvoline vr1 racing, which i'm sure is regular valvoline with a different sticker. And napa full synthetic was 5.99 a quart, so only an extra 10 bucks a oil change. I'm not changing for the extra long service intervals, i'm gonna change every 4-5,000 miles or every 5-6 months when needed but the synthetic i think will help protect and clean the motor better and maybe give my truck a little more life down the road...i wasn't looking for more power or extra fuel mileage at all.
5 qts of Motorcraft synthetic blend is about $12 at wally world. That is what I run in my F-150 with a Motorcraft filter (plus a loose qt of course, it takes 6 qts) I change it the first chance I get after 3k, so it usually closer to 4k, 82k miles and it still runs perfect. Noticed no difference switching from conventional in either milage or power.

The only thing I run full synthetic in is hydrostats on lawnmowers. They get flogged almost everytime they are used and nobody ever wants to change the oil until it quits working.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Even your estimates are exponentially higher than I would have tossed out.
I'm talking the difference between a full out racing synthetic and cheap-o dino oil...

I'd run it out 7,500-10,000 mile intervals... If you're going to pay the money for synthetic, might as well get your moneys worth... I highly doubt you'll actually see any better wear life... Now, if you were racing your truck, maybe I could see a synthetic oil offering better protection than a conventional...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'm talking the difference between a full out racing synthetic and cheap-o dino oil...
Me too. Seems pretty generous to me.

I'd run it out 7,500-10,000 mile intervals... If you're going to pay the money for synthetic, might as well get your moneys worth... I highly doubt you'll actually see any better wear life... Now, if you were racing your truck, maybe I could see a synthetic oil offering better protection than a conventional...
Agreed. Extended drain intervals are by far the biggest improvement synthetic oil offers for most vehicles. The other differences don't mean much to the typical daily driven vehicle.

michowski

Reaction score
You're fuel economy should shoot up quite a bit as well. I switched all my vehicles after watching Trucks! coax 50 more hp out of a Ram regular cab 1500 with the Magnum V8. I use Royal purple in my truck along with a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. I can go 10,000 miles between oil changes. One thing I found out is that if you buy synthetic...buy a comparable oil filter to go with it.
Royal Purple now sells a full line of oil filters so you can get a good filter from them to go with your rp oil.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals