• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap vs Swap

jimbII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello , just registered , been reading these post after purchasing a BII , well actually 2 of them one is an 85 with the usual head problems(hasn't been torn down) ghostly disappearance of coolant . But has an excellent body and almost perfect interior. The second is an 86 in great mechanical condition which was gone over and all repairs including later model heads.
I was a mechanic from the early 80s to the mid 90s but was in GMC and Chevrolet dealerships during this time with all my work in the light duty and medium duty trucks.
Now here' s the question,
Would it be more feasible to do the engine swap or a body swap , taking into consideration the 85 needs things like rear spring hangers , exhaust , the auto hubs switched out (broken, but that's another story)86 has lock-outs. Along with various other this and that which are all on the 86 chassis.
the 85 runs great , no water in the oil , no great clouds of steam , no puddles, it doesn't overheat. good oil pressure , top is a little chattery but not like some engines I've heard.

I've read through all the forums on engine swaps,
So any advice would be appreciated.

I'm really glad to have found these forums, great bunch of people with a great bunch of advice.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
IMO, if i was gonna be "restoring" one, i'd do the body swap.. that way you can give it a full frame treatment...clean up, primer, paint... plus you can do the suspension easily w/ th body out of the way! also you can have all the interior out to clean up, paint if needed...

side note: get new body mounts, not a body lift, but new poly or rubber body mounts..

however, the engine swap would be the easy way out... just pull the motor, swap it out, plug it all back in... then address the minor issues. this would be quicker and less labor intensive. depends on what final result you want.

jimbII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my same thoughts as far as the body switch goes , but even with the engine swap I'm looking at engine harness swap , tank/fuel delivery, computer , and not real sure of what needs done under the dash or with the dash , even with a body swap .....fuse box, guages....compatibility issues ,

I've seen procedures detailing the 4.0 swaps but no details on a 2.9 as this seems to be not so popular

thanks

PS if the wife's 4.0 should come up missing , she'll know exactly where to look.:dunno:....:shok:.....:annoyed:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i did the 4.0 swap on my b2 and i'm glad i did... it was some work, but its not that bad.. but i kept my 1st gen dash so i had to wire up the gauges, where as if you use the 2nd gen dash, you don't have to... at least that's my understanding..

honestly tho, if you're gonna do it all... why not just do it all at once? the 2.9 is an alright motor if you're happy w/ the power you get from it... there's just not a real efficient way of getting more power from it, the best bang for your buck is a 4.0 swap.

jimbII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
they say when it rains it pours...just got back from my brother in laws shop and out back he has a frame with 2.9, A4LD, d35 8.8 , hmmmm

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
they say when it rains it pours...just got back from my brother in laws shop and out back he has a frame with 2.9, A4LD, d35 8.8 , hmmmm
well there's the stronger axles... :D
pick up suspension lift and new body mounts and get to work! :icon_cheers::icon_bounceblue:
i'm excited for you on this... b/c i'd LOVE to stumble over a b2 i could sas and build a crawler out of. :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals