• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap in lift glass on BII?

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
:icon_idea: Has anyone done this? *CopyKat* How was it done how difficult? I can get the parts from the local P-N-P, but it has been impossable to find a lift gate with this in good condition. I need a new lift gate since mine is warped so badly it won't latch on the left side. I have found good ones with the wiper, power lock, and tire carrier. So thinking just get one of these and bolt on the lift glass and be all set...:icon_confused:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well, you need the two hinges and the latch...so if you need a new hatch anyway, your best bet would be to buy the hatch that has the lift glass on it, and swapping it on.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The wiper/defogger and openable glass are mutually exclusive options.

AD

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a wiper/defogger on my BII, I'm going to try and see if I can make it work on my opening Explorer lift gate glass... At least the wiper...

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
:icon_idea: Has anyone done this? *CopyKat* How was it done how difficult? I can get the parts from the local P-N-P, but it has been impossable to find a lift gate with this in good condition. I need a new lift gate since mine is warped so badly it won't latch on the left side. I have found good ones with the wiper, power lock, and tire carrier. So thinking just get one of these and bolt on the lift glass and be all set...:icon_confused:
All I did was mark where the holes needed to be drilled. Drilled holes and put rivnuts in where needed. I've never had one pull out yet.

You can install the lift glass in any hatch, just need to get creative if you keep the wiper like I did.

For my wiper I cut the rear arm for the shaft spline, and cut a front one for the wiper arm. Welded the two together with a bend to clear the T-handle. To get the wiper blade on the bottom of the wiper arm, I twisted the flat part on the arm 180°. I then took a front wiper blade and cut it down so that it would clear the handle on the bottom and the hinge on the top. To help the blade clear the gap between the hatch and window. I filled the gap with a closed cell foam tape I had.

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
The wiper/defogger and openable glass are mutually exclusive options.
AD
I am aware of that. I don't mind loosing the defoger. I thought it would be nice to keep the wiper though.

so if you need a new hatch anyway, your best bet would be to buy the hatch that has the lift glass on it, and swapping it on.
I haven't been able to find decent hatches with the lift glass, but I can find the replacement matching my current, so it brought me to this idea.

Thanks for the tech CopyKat. Doesn't this make ME the copycat though? :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals