• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap Drawing to a close - Common Questions Thread?

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a few questions as my swap draws to a close.

1) I have a 1973 C4 from an F100. What size are the transmission cooling fittings? I'd like to run 90 degree fittings and run line along the bottom of the passenger side head, under the harmonic balancer to the two Tranny cooling ports on the 4.0 radiator. (came with two types)

2) I have the oil relocator from Summit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1028/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-2791/

What size/type hydraulic hose and fittings should I use? (I know the summit size says some numbers but I don't quite understand them.

3) My fan clutch fits between the radiator and the water pump alright, I turned down the spacer that came with it, yet the fan still barely touches the top of the radiator (slanted a bit yes). Anyone know of a shorter fan clutch or a way to shorten my foxbody one?

4) I have to figure out shift linkages, specifically the BW1350 shifter. My C5 tail housing is a little shorter than my original A4LD tail housing as the two threaded holes are closer to the transfer case. Anyone ever shorten the A4LD shift linkage or were they ever able to find a replacement?

The transmission is also closer to the front of the truck than the last one so 2 High will be hitting the hump in the floor towards the front of the truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1. I used 3/8 cooler hose, my C5 already had the fittings on it, basically looked a lot like brake line bent with the a nut fitting on it. I just used steel brake line that fit in the hose (5/16?) running up to the front. I didn't use the cooler in the radiator because originally I didn't have enough room. I have the room now but am hoping to swap in a 5 speed and don't think it is worth changing it at this point.

2. NPT means National Pipe Thread. 1/2 pipe thread, really common. If your hydraulic place hasn't heard of it find a different shop.

3. I had about a 1/2" between my WP pulley and the radiator when I had the long pump like yours, that is why I ran a pusher fan. I swapped to the Explorer FEAD (the shortest WP from Ford) and still couldn't fit a fan clutch. I am running a low profile flex fan (which works great as long as the truck is moving at a decent clip, at idle or low speed my pusher fan still kicks on)

4. You need the correct linkage, they used different ones between a A4LD and C5. You may need to do some trimming to your floor plate (shouldn't have to get into the floor itself) but things will look all sorts of different once you get the right linkage in there.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103015&page=3&highlight=c5+pic+request

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got an idea for the transfer case linkage. Instead of scouring the earth for a now rare part, or redesigning the thing.

I thought about building a bracket that moves the bolt holes forward to where they would be if they were on the A4LD, only four holes to drill, and bending the shifter stick back a bit.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are out there, I have found several more since in JY's.

Might check out how a NP208 shifter works. The lever just pivots and there is a link that goes from that back to the lever on the t-case. It would be simple to build something similar.

Dmgctrl88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, I might have to make my own. I went under there today and the transmission is far too forward, moving the linkage forward will do no good.

I don't need the shift pattern guide. I'll make it a straight line to shift.

On a side note I adapted the A4LD shift linkage to the C4. I inversed an arm, and extended it. I shift from Park to 1st by barely touching it lol. Guess it's too long and I'll have to play around with it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used a B&M Unimatic cable shifter for my C4/5 mutant. Looks nice and works great. It was about $80 when I got mine 5 years ago.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals