• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap Dana 28 E4wd to 2001 Ranger Edge 4X4

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We got a decent snow so I got out and played a bit. :yahoo::headbang::yahoo:
It is just like 4 wheel drive!

I can punch it off the line and spin all four instead of just the rears. The big improvement with this case is the AWD. The trade-off is the loss of Low. It is nice to flip a switch to get out of a sticky or slippery situation.

Icuff4cash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Automatic
Aerostar owner needs help

Hello blown that was a great write up . I have a question I would like a stronger front diff and axle unit in my areostar. That's the weak link. Your write up of useing the Dana 28 changed my mind. I was going to put a 1354 because I go camping and thought a tc28 was junk. After reading your write up I'm going to keep it. Any ideas or were I could get information on a sas. It seams theaxles are the problem. I'm not going mud bogging just beach off road camping. Would a ranger diff fit my van and just axles would have to be made? When I was young I ran a Ford 9" in my firebird. And smother brothers axles were made because the rear was shorten to fit the firebird. Is it possible to run with just custom axles. But a new diff would get me a possi if needed to get out of stuck sand or snow.
Robert
94 aerostar xlt lwb
4.0 auto and running 235-75-15 tires on Jeep Grand Cherokee rims. No cutting and they fit.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Wow great write up Blown. Very interesting. Guessing though that t-case setup is limited to that particular transmission and won't work on other transmissions, such as the A4LD?

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! Sounds like you got a cool project! I do not know what would swap into an Aerostar. Is there an Aerostar Forum?

Hello blown that was a great write up . I have a question I would like a stronger front diff and axle unit in my areostar. That's the weak link. Your write up of useing the Dana 28 changed my mind. I was going to put a 1354 because I go camping and thought a tc28 was junk. After reading your write up I'm going to keep it. Any ideas or were I could get information on a sas. It seams theaxles are the problem. I'm not going mud bogging just beach off road camping. Would a ranger diff fit my van and just axles would have to be made? When I was young I ran a Ford 9" in my firebird. And smother brothers axles were made because the rear was shorten to fit the firebird. Is it possible to run with just custom axles. But a new diff would get me a possi if needed to get out of stuck sand or snow.
Robert
94 aerostar xlt lwb
4.0 auto and running 235-75-15 tires on Jeep Grand Cherokee rims. No cutting and they fit.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Wow great write up Blown. Very interesting. Guessing though that t-case setup is limited to that particular transmission and won't work on other transmissions, such as the A4LD?
The Ranger shares the 5R55E with the Aerostar. Both utilize a 5 bolt pattern to bolt to the transfer case. I think the A4LD is different.

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Ranger shares the 5R55E with the Aerostar. Both utilize a 5 bolt pattern to bolt to the transfer case. I think the A4LD is different.
The bw1354 will bolt on to 5r55e.

I have put one in an Aerostar and I have used a 5r55e from a 2001 Ranger in my Bronco 2 and bolted a 1354 to it aswell

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Clemenchino

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Blown! How do you do the switch?

Hi blown I want to make the same switch to the Dana 28 how do you do the switch?? Do you have pictures??
It's possible to do a 3 way switch:100% rear, 75% rear 25% front and 50% rear 50% front??
Thank you '

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi blown I want to make the same switch to the Dana 28 how do you do the switch?? Do you have pictures??
It's possible to do a 3 way switch:100% rear, 75% rear 25% front and 50% rear 50% front??
Thank you '
The Dana 28 will bolt-up to the 5r55E, No pics just what is here, not possible to do a three way switch. I got Aerostar driveshafts and had them sized to fit. I wired a switch to lock it in 4X4 whe3n need at low speed to get unstuck or moving on a very slippery surface.

I traded back too the stock transfer case just last weekend. I wanted 4X4 low back. I was not satisfied with a rear driveshaft vibration, though it could be fixed. I have a camper shell now and plan on getting out into the Rockies to play and camp. I will use 4low.

The AWD was awesome at cornering, the front wheels pull yo around a corner rather than being pushed. It was excellent on snow/ice, no forced
slippage like 4X4.

I have the Dana 28 transfer case and driveshafts. Drive shaft to fit an extended cab.

Clemenchino

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, good to know but what about the 50% rear 50% front switch. Could you make it work?? If you can how do you make the switch? Cause I want to control it. Not the machine.

The Dana 28 will bolt-up to the 5r55E, No pics just what is here, not possible to do a three way switch. I got Aerostar driveshafts and had them sized to fit. I wired a switch to lock it in 4X4 whe3n need at low speed to get unstuck or moving on a very slippery surface.

I traded back too the stock transfer case just last weekend. I wanted 4X4 low back. I was not satisfied with a rear driveshaft vibration, though it could be fixed. I have a camper shell now and plan on getting out into the Rockies to play and camp. I will use 4low.

The AWD was awesome at cornering, the front wheels pull yo around a corner rather than being pushed. It was excellent on snow/ice, no forced
slippage like 4X4.

I have the Dana 28 transfer case and driveshafts. Drive shaft to fit an extended cab.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

slippage like 4X4.

Shot in the dark here, but still have the TC28?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
there was a couple near my house in detroit.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I'll give ya tree fiddy for it

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
$3.50? Cheep skate....

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Probably 100 bux....it's a shelf yard. Seen them in there when I was looking at mt82 transmissions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals