• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap cost?

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
It always seems that everybody's swap runs a little different. My swap was done around 12yrs ago and back then there really wasn't a lot of them around (compared to now). I had a full dress shop to work in and someone with some hot rodding experience to help out. I got my motor for working in the shop, my transmission and first T-case in a trade, motor mounts from Duff for 120.00 their original V-8 swap radiator (don't remember the price)hoses, belts, misc nuts and bolts probably around 200.00, B&M Megashifter. New motor (the 347)close to 5k, new T-Case (I originally used one out of a full size and it flat wouldn't work)Dana 20, 200.00, AA adapter to make the 20 fit behind the C-6 800.00. I have had 4 different D-shafts in it at around 150.00 a piece. This doesn't include headers, exhaust work, or any welding that I had to have done outside the shop. Cross members can run you some coin as well (I have a early Bronco that fits the 20, but it needed some mods to work right). Best bet is to plan for the worst (anywhere from 5 to 10k) and hope for the best (under 1k).

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I made a spreadsheet and put part numbers, prices, venders and anything else I thought would be nice to have in it. You can move things around to set up orders by vender to break it into chunks to save on freight and what you can afford to do per bite.

Two years later I can't find it but it was a great way to plan for what was going to cost how much and where you are going to get it.

I packratted parts for 10 years before I started my swap, being able to afford it isn't really an issue a point IMO. Be patient and eventually you will get there.

Just a guess, I think about $2-2.5k got me on the road. New exhaust, carb, intake, water pump headers, electric fuel pump, radiator, cap/collar, efan and oil pump. Rebuilt dizzy. Starter, PS pump and FEAD came with $200 roller engine, $250 automatic trans with my stock t-case. Rear driveshaft was something like $180 to be retubed/lengthened and front was $50 to shorten.

Used stuff is hard to guestimate because you never know what kind of a deal you are going to get until you get it. Some people will all but give stuff away while others think it is gold.

And then after you are around it for awhile you go back in and change things, I changed to an Explorer FEAD (new belt, timing cover, tensioner/idlers, water pump and alternator) used HO cam, used E7 heads, flex fan... and I still want to put in an overdrive trans (which would mean new t-case and driveshafts again :annoyed:)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals