• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap 3.0 V6 with auto for a 2.5 I 4 with auto.

JaxRanger2005

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2005 Ranger supercab with 3.0 V6 and automatic. Am thinking of swapping to a 2.5 I 4 with auto. Would the 2.5 be a bolt=in, plug-in installation. Also considering adding a turbo. Would the turbo manifold from a TBird turbo coupe fit this engine.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Everything that touches the engine is different. Transmission, mounts, exhaust, wiring harness and PCM.
Your 05 truck also has digital gauges that are controlled by the PCM. There was no 2.5l 4 cylinder offered after 01, and none of them had digital gauges, so you won't find a PCM that works with a 2.5 and your factory gauges. I think you'd have to use all new aftermarket gauges. You might be able to use a heavily tuned PCM from a Duratec 2.3 Ranger (2004+), which could control your gauges, but the Duratec 2.3 and Lima 2.3/2.5 are very different engines so that's not a sure thing.

If you want a turbo 4, the easiest path would be to sell your 3.0 truck and buy a pre 01 4 cylinder powered truck. Swapping an engine in a Ranger for another engine that was offered in Ranger from the factory is a bunch of work when you could just go buy the truck with the drivetrain you want.

Bryson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1986 ford ranger and the control panel were turn heat or ac on and fan speed and all doesn't have power to it but his power the the fan motor and grounds are good and fuses are to

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2005 Ranger supercab with 3.0 V6 and automatic. Am thinking of swapping to a 2.5 I 4 with auto. Would the 2.5 be a bolt=in, plug-in installation. Also considering adding a turbo. Would the turbo manifold from a TBird turbo coupe fit this engine.
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, the tbird 2.3l Lima turbo would fit the 1998-2000 2.5l Lima engine

No on the 2005 swap
2004 to 2011 Rangers are pretty much locked into what you have, you can swap in a new engine of the same kind if engine blows, or same transmission if it goes, but thats about it

Now you CAN do anything, but in 2004 and up you will be gutting the wiring in engine bay AND cab so up to you really

Sell the 2005 3.0l and buy a 1998-2000 2.5l

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals