• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Svt Focus vs 93 Ported 4.0 Ranger vs 08 cobalt ss supercharged

which one will win the cobalt ss does but just to prove my brother wrong

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My very naive brother is looking at an svt focus. He thinks that it will be my 93 4.0 with a ton of mods only thing stock is the bottom end, cam, cats and manifold why if it working good why replace it. and headers are very expensive for the 4.0 if you very good ones. And he thinks he can keep up with very good friend of mines cobalt ss supercharged. I would like to know you guys thoughts thanks. All the stuff stock on my 4.0 in due time won't be. thanks and of course the cobalt wins duh :icon_thumby:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Cobalt ftw....

The cam/headers are whats holding the 4.0L back, spend money there and you'll actually have a strong engine in your truck.

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford

so your 4.0 has a "ton" of mods, but everything is stock? except the heads which are ported to flow into the stock manifold? you dont have a tune, on a dyno, to make use of the mods?

this all depends on the drivers, you all sound like tools, if your spelling is any indication of your driving talent. along with the fact your "brother" is one of those brian o'conner school of driving "i think any car i own will beat anything" types, i have serious doubts that you could 1; do this in a safe place 2; do this without crashing into each other. in a theoretical world cobalt ss with supercharged or the later turbocharged ecotec is going to rape you both. the svt is going to in turn rape you. 2.0 zetec puts out 170hp/145ftlbs tq, with a getrag six speed, and a better way to put the power to the ground with the engine being directly over the drive wheels. on top of making more hp then your 4.0 ohv over a longer rpm range, with more gears in which to use it the car also weighs less then your truck. good luck and dont kill anybody.

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cobalt ftw....

The cam/headers are whats holding the 4.0L back, spend money there and you'll actually have a strong engine in your truck.
The headers I will do after the paint job I am 19 and in auto tech school. My old man won't let me cam my ranger he thinks I can't do it. If I do I am kicked out of the house. Thats the only reason why I haven't do it yet trust me on that:icon_thumby::sad:

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

so your 4.0 has a "ton" of mods, but everything is stock? except the heads which are ported to flow into the stock manifold? you dont have a tune, on a dyno, to make use of the mods?

this all depends on the drivers, you all sound like tools, if your spelling is any indication of your driving talent. along with the fact your "brother" is one of those brian o'conner school of driving "i think any car i own will beat anything" types, i have serious doubts that you could 1; do this in a safe place 2; do this without crashing into each other. in a theoretical world cobalt ss with supercharged or the later turbocharged ecotec is going to rape you both. the svt is going to in turn rape you. 2.0 zetec puts out 170hp/145ftlbs tq, with a getrag six speed, and a better way to put the power to the ground with the engine being directly over the drive wheels. on top of making more hp then your 4.0 ohv over a longer rpm range, with more gears in which to use it the car also weighs less then your truck. good luck and dont kill anybody.
Here is another now it all. I use an ipad, and spelling, and typing on it is sucks. Yes I do agree with you on the top end the focus has me, but I have torque nuf said

sixty9oz

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had an svt focus completely stock, and it seriously depends on the driver and the particular car. I've seen stock SVTs put out any where between 130 to 150 to the wheels, same dyno, same day. They are quick stock, but not fast. I ran a best of 15.1 in the quarter at just a little over sea level, and a 15.5 in Bristol, TN whatever the altitude is there. Mine was stock from the air filter to the exhaust tip. I put down 150. There was a guy with intake, exhaust, cam gears and a tune (a bad one I guess) only put down 135. So there is a lot of differences to consider. Just put em up or shut up I guess. Too many variables to pick a winner on paper.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, cobalt will win, no doubt.
svt will take second
then your truck sorry.
any other results are poor driving imo.
that being said my 13 sec diesel beat a 12 sec 370z, not because my truck is faster, i can just drive and he couldn't, plain and simple

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have you ever seen a football center race a 100m dash runner??? the center my have more power but the runner will win every time.
Sorry but your truck is the fat kid in this race

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Dude, wind resistance. 'Nuff said (since it was all already said before)

Wicked13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Go to the drag strip and post results, the thread is pointless.

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had an svt focus completely stock, and it seriously depends on the driver and the particular car. I've seen stock SVTs put out any where between 130 to 150 to the wheels, same dyno, same day. They are quick stock, but not fast. I ran a best of 15.1 in the quarter at just a little over sea level, and a 15.5 in Bristol, TN whatever the altitude is there. Mine was stock from the air filter to the exhaust tip. I put down 150. There was a guy with intake, exhaust, cam gears and a tune (a bad one I guess) only put down 135. So there is a lot of differences to consider. Just put em up or shut up I guess. Too many variables to pick a winner on paper.
Your right it is all about the driver. My buddy who the is the owner of the cobalt ss. Did 13.9 don't know the speed in the 1/4 mile with nothing more, than high flow cats, magnaflow muffler, and pulstar plugs. Its all about the driver

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, cobalt will win, no doubt.
svt will take second
then your truck sorry.
any other results are poor driving imo.
that being said my 13 sec diesel beat a 12 sec 370z, not because my truck is faster, i can just drive and he couldn't, plain and simple
My brother can't drive at all

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have you ever seen a football center race a 100m dash runner??? the center my have more power but the runner will win every time.
Sorry but your truck is the fat kid in this race
who said a fat kid couldn't be fast. Sorry but yes after 85 the svt focus would have me, but I don't race for top speed 25-70 is really all I care to do. Anything over 100, and your in jail

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agreed with you 100 percent, the only way to tell is to race.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals