• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suspicious clutch behavior.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually, it's the linkage.

After driving down the highway for 30 minutes or better, my clutch pedal starts to stick. It takes a lot more force to push down, and is slow to come up. It hasn't gotten stuck down yet, but my foot can easily outrun the pedal on the way up.

But, when it cools down, the pedal returns to normal. When it's still hot I can shut down, pump the pedal a bunch, and it frees up somewhat, but it'll get stuck all over again after a couple more minutes of driving.

Anyone had this before? I figure it's that craptastic slave cylinder. I didn't change it with my clutch 9k ago, just the throwout bearing. Nothing has been submerged or stuck. No fluid loss yet.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you can have a buddy do that after driving and setting the parking brake, you can diagnose further.

Open the bleed screw and then let up the clutch. If it's better, it's the slave. If it's not, it's the master.

You'll have to bleed the clutch afterward (though it may be enough to just push the clutch back down and close the screw), but that will at least let you know if it really is the slave.

I wish I understood why people hate that slave so much. It lasts twice as long as the external form, and doesn't have significant problems with chatter, and has fewer failure modes. Just, once every 150K miles or so, you have to pull the transmission. That's about as often as you would have had to to replace the release bearing on an external setup.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't mind the design so much as the construction. Plastic anything seems junky to me, especially in areas with a lot of heat. I'd much prefer a steel cylinder with replaceable seals to a plastic piece of crap that has to be replaced as a unit.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Plastic doesn't corrode.

NO one made steel slave cylinders. They are all aluminum, if metal at all.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I know, that's why I wish they did.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, I tried that test--hard to coordinate with my buddy and I've got a face full of hot brake fluid to show for it. But, it is the slave dragging. Damnit.

I actually modified the test after a couple of tries. Push the pedal half way down and hold it. When I break the bleeder open, the pedal falls very quickly, so it's not the master dragging. That avoided the whole timing thing and I didn't have to squeeze my face up in there to watch the show.

It isn't THAT hard to pull the tranny, but it's still a hassle.

hurron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L 4Banger
Transmission
Manual
just had similar problem.....get the slave cylinder checked for leak before your clutch gets burned up too.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals