• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suspension upgrades?

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
My front end is a bit bouncy but not that bad. Granted, I have the FX4, which should have a stiffer rate anyway.

The weak shock dampening is the issue. A shock with a stiffer dampening rate is needed.
Actually the exact opposite is true. The FX4 is a softer suspension, not stiffer, than a regular 4x4.

I for one don't understand all the comments about a bouncy ride? Our XL FX4 SuperCab rides great.... but then again I've driven mid-size trucks since 1985 as a daily driver and don't expect an empty pickup truck to ride like a Buick Roadmaster.

Maybe it's something to do with the SuperCrew and weight distribution vs a SuperCab?

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Actually the exact opposite is true. The FX4 is a softer suspension, not stiffer, than a regular 4x4.

I for one don't understand all the comments about a bouncy ride? Our XL FX4 SuperCab rides great.... but then again I've driven mid-size trucks since 1985 as a daily driver and don't expect an empty pickup truck to ride like a Buick Roadmaster.

Maybe it's something to do with the SuperCrew and weight distribution vs a SuperCab?
In my experience, off road trucks typically have a stiffer ride. But in any case, a softer or stiffer ride isn't the concern. The weak dampening of the suspension is the concern. A bobbing and swaying truck while on the trail is. One needs predictability and a steady ride, especially in tight, technical sections. Of course, there is different types of off roading. So perehaps that is where we disconnect. I'm thinking dirt trails. Desert running could be different and a floatly suspension may be desirable there. Desert Runner looking truck does seem to be the rage. Like the Raptor for instance. Desert Runner.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
desert trucks arent any less stiff than anything else. it just looks more floaty cuz theres 20+ inches of travel. which is almost always progressive, meaning the spring rate and valving ramps up the more the suspension compresses.

ive been around tuning suspension in all sorts of off road vehicles and i can say with confidence suspension rules are the name no matter where the vehicle is being driven. you can have the heaviest springs and most compression dampening in the shock in the world and still be bouncing all over if you dont have a handle on the rebound side of the shock. if a rebuildable/ re valveable shock like fox, king, icon ect... is out of the price range, best thing to do is find a replacement shock with some sort of adjustment knob like the rancho 9000 series. im not sure if that exact shock has a rebound adjustment knob, but thats gonna be the biggest key to a less bouncy ride. obviously compression dampening plays some role in bounce, but not as much as the rebound side

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
In my experience, off road trucks typically have a stiffer ride. But in any case, a softer or stiffer ride isn't the concern. The weak dampening of the suspension is the concern. A bobbing and swaying truck while on the trail is. One needs predictability and a steady ride, especially in tight, technical sections. Of course, there is different types of off roading. So perehaps that is where we disconnect. I'm thinking dirt trails. Desert running could be different and a floatly suspension may be desirable there. Desert Runner looking truck does seem to be the rage. Like the Raptor for instance. Desert Runner.
My comments are in regard to the 2019/2020 Ranger FX4 option.

You stated "I have the FX4, which should have a stiffer rate anyway." Nothing is stiffer. The springs on the truck are the same as a non FX4 truck. In regard to the suspension the tires are different and the shocks have a lower dampening rate.

Nothing is stiffer.. that's my point.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Generally "Offroad" trucks as in those with "Offroad" or "FX4" stickers on the bed as some sort of offroading package have a little stiffer shocks and ride a little rougher than a mere mortal 4wd.

Being bouncy is kind of not normal.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My comments are in regard to the 2019/2020 Ranger FX4 option.

You stated "I have the FX4, which should have a stiffer rate anyway." Nothing is stiffer. The springs on the truck are the same as a non FX4 truck. In regard to the suspension the tires are different and the shocks have a lower dampening rate.

Nothing is stiffer.. that's my point.
And my point is that the dampening rate for an FX4 should be higher, aka stiffer. I think you knew exactly what I meant.

People don't buy the FX4 package to have the ride qualities of a Lincoln Continental or Chevy Caprice.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The springs on the truck are the same as a non FX4 truck.
I am not sure that is the case. My wife's FX4 sits 2" higher, and does not share rear spring part numbers with std 4WD springs.

I purchased a pair of 4WD rear springs for my RWD and found they DO share the same part number as my RWD. So yea, I bought, and shipped in, a pair of exactly the same springs as I wanted to change.

On the front, the FX4 springs are .620" making them almost 10% stiffer than the .600" std front springs. And one of my spare FX4 front springs is a quarter coil shorter than the other making it even stiffer.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am not sure that is the case. My wife's FX4 sits 2" higher, and does not share rear spring part numbers with std 4WD springs.

I purchased a pair of 4WD rear springs for my RWD and found they DO share the same part number as my RWD. So yea, I bought, and shipped in, a pair of exactly the same springs as I wanted to change.

On the front, the FX4 springs are .620" making them almost 10% stiffer than the .600" std front springs. And one of my spare FX4 front springs is a quarter coil shorter than the other making it even stiffer.
This is on a 19+ truck?

I don't think there is supposed to be a ride height difference between 2wd, 4wd and FX2/4.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
This is on a 19+ truck?

I don't think there is supposed to be a ride height difference between 2wd, 4wd and FX2/4.
There is a difference but not a huge one, at least on paper.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2019's, yes.

Guess I should have said 2" higher at the rear wheel arch. The front arches are only marginally higher than std.

With the additional rake, the FX4 tail gate is even higher.

One thing that has puzzled me, Ford Parts clearly differentiates the "special" FX front suspension bits, but only the rear FX shocks. Cannot find the FX4 rear springs at all, even with the part numbers on the rear springs.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Things like that are going to take time. The truck is only about a year old in the U.S. market. One does get spoiled with all the options available on the older Ranger models but one has to consider the basic platform has been around for a long time with lots of time for the aftermarket to develop replacements and upgrades for them. Especially since they are old enough for there to be a market for such things. With only a year under the new Ranger's belt, nothing is old enough to need replacement and the aftermarket is still figuring out what market there is for it and what kind of demand there will be for what.

Country boy 1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm in a 91 stx ext cab, but i just installed gabriel load master coil overs. I've used the same style on a toyota i used to have and really enjoyed the suspension. However on this truck, the passenger side coil is right beside the sway bar, barely any clearance. I'm actually about to remove my rear sway bar to clear it

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
For the rear of the 87 Ranger is used a Helwig anti sway bar with Rancho 7000's. I didn't like the way the shocks felt so I switched to James Duff LLC 70/30's. WoW!!! Even with only 1 per side in the rear, their awesome. When things started to sag I installed 89 STX Hi Ryder rear spring pack and a helper kit to level it out (I used the complete Hi Ryder suspension). Recently the front stock coils are sagging so I am replacing them with Softrides.

For the 87 BroncoII, I went with a Superlift 4" kit and awith Softride coils in front and a custom rear pack built from a 94 Explorer XLT 4x4. Again, I used James Duff 70/30's on the the rear but with 2 on each corner and Duff's rear track bars.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
And my point is that the dampening rate for an FX4 should be higher, aka stiffer. I think you knew exactly what I meant.

People don't buy the FX4 package to have the ride qualities of a Lincoln Continental or Chevy Caprice.
I do know exactly what you meant, and what your saying isn't true in this case of the 2019-2020 Rangers.

The FX4 shocks are mushy, not enough dampening, that's what makes the bounce or as was stated previously...

bouncing is not a result of inadequate stiffness. its a result of too little rebound dampening.
stiffer dampening wont do much unless the rebound dampening is more effective. bounce is not a result of stiffness, but a result of rebound control. rebound is how fast the shock can extend. lets say two shocks have the same amount of compression stiffness, a shock that has alot of rebound dampening (slow rebound) will bounce less than a shock with little rebound dampening (fast rebound).
And that's the issue on the 2019-2020 Rangers - A stiff mono leaf spring and a shock with poor rebound dampening for more bounce (but it's good for off-roading). Take the shock off and then see how "bouncy" the ride is.

That's why when folks remove the FX4 shocks and replace them with a shock that has better rebound dampening (which isn't what you want off-road) the ride improves (on the road).

It's kind of a common sense thing.... Want a better "road" ride.... don't buy an off-road package.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals