• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suspension upgrade

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys, about to get leafs and struts. Can't find anything about the length when im shopping. Only that these struts are for 2" 4" or 6" lift. I can't figure out what lift I have. Truck is level on 30s. 2.5" block under leafs but I was told skyjacker 132s coils are stock height. Very confusing. As for leafs, no matter what I choose, my 2640lbs Axel limit is the only limit correct? What I mean is even with 1750lbs at pad won't help because Axel can't support it? Always love the help here, thanks in advanced !

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I can’t help you on the springs or the shocks. I ended up going with Ranchos for my 2011 after the pre-2008 key mod/lift because they were the only ones I could tell, from the listed specs, would fit that suspension.

As far as the axle, the limitation would be the weakest part in the system. If the axles rating you listed is what it is, there would be limited benefit from heavier springs.

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. Rancho in the rear?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Front and rear. I don’t remember the exact model numbers but they were 5000 series. Rock Auto had the specs.

I believe the pre-2008 axle blocks are 2.5” or close to it. So, those should fit.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I posted a few threads about this. Still havent decided what to do about the rear. The responses to my post left me with more questions than asnwers lol, but in a good way, because there are so many options! I will probably go with a setup that eliminates the factory lift blocks.

As for the front, my '93 doesnt have struts but a regular spring and shock setup. I went with the skyjacker leveling kit (P/N SKY132XX) and am very happy with it. It lifted the front just enough to level the truck, and really improved the ride too.

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I posted a few threads about this. Still havent decided what to do about the rear. The responses to my post left me with more questions than asnwers lol, but in a good way, because there are so many options! I will probably go with a setup that eliminates the factory lift blocks.

As for the front, my '93 doesnt have struts but a regular spring and shock setup. I went with the skyjacker leveling kit (P/N SKY132XX) and am very happy with it. It lifted the front just enough to level the truck, and really improved the ride too.
How much travel does your front shock have? I have something skyjacker, 132s springs and the orange and White shock needs replaced. Should I do the spring? It seems fine... Thanks for the response.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I am not sure about the travel, but it is a 1.5-2" leveling kit. It came with all black shocks that are longer than the stock ones I swapped out.
I do know it is a different part number for the extra cab model (probably stiffer).

The springs should be fine, and if not you can always replace them later (its easy). But I would start with replacing the shocks first. Maybe look up the ones that come with the leveling kit to reference what length you need. You might wanna go Bilstiens or Rancho.

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK, looking aground for info on this suspension, found a couple odd things. Behind my spring and strut combo, there's another strut behind the spring towards the front bumper. But there is not one on the other side. Also, is that a sway bar or just extra suspension parts in pic 2? Pic 1 is my bump stop. Probably hard to see but there's maybe 2" of clearance an maybe 1\2" on driver side. Not cool right? Longer shocks?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Yep thats the sway bar. Your shocks and or springs are probably worn, it does look a little saggy. Besides that, I dont see any red flags at glance.

I think the lil strut you are talking about is for the engine, its a stabilizer or something, but yea its just on the one side, thats normal.

Have you tried jacking up at a chassis point to let the suspension droop? That would give more clues to whats going on.

You could maybe try stuffing in some spring spacers, although I would do it as an experiment only, and if it works, get new springs.

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any idea how much the front would have to lift to be level with a 2.5" block under rear leafs? Letting it droop when I get the stimulus money for parts. Till then I'm just narrowing things down. I bought this in November and just learned I have skyjacker parts and it's lifted. Whole bunch of things I didn't know. Stabilize sounds correct though. Thanks for that one

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Any idea how much the front would have to lift to be level with a 2.5" block under rear leafs? Letting it droop when I get the stimulus money for parts. Till then I'm just narrowing things down. I bought this in November and just learned I have skyjacker parts and it's lifted. Whole bunch of things I didn't know. Stabilize sounds correct though. Thanks for that one
You could lower the rear and/or eliminate the lift blocks....Maybe swap em out for an add a leaf, lose some height and gain some suspension.

I started a thread on rear leaf spring options that has good info from the guys.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/shopping-for-new-leaf-springs-need-advice.187954/

I'd like to eventually eliminate the rear blocks and get true travel on my ranger.

As far as the front matching the rear height, I am not sure, especially factoring in the lift. You could mess around with it and maybe find out. Like take a measure at the fender or something then jack it up until you like the height and measure again from the same point

If you have a local off road shop with a competent friendly staff, they might be able to steer you in the right direction. There a million options when it comes to springs and suspension. You could also research it yourself, but it would be research indeed.

cheers

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. Been studying for about a week. There's a link up top for the rear stuff I'm hoping fits. Need new brackets hangars and shackles too.. Im liking the height, couldn't fit the tires if I go any lower. Could my front be 4" lift but is so worn out is sitting like a 2"? Same with the back. My leafs are completely flat with no load.. So ive lost 2" from flat springs and 2 from worn springs and shocks. That might also be why i have barley any clearance to the bump stop when on level ground. I was just mulling that over.

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Its possible your 4" lift is now 2" lol. Yea the pics shows its darn near the bump stops. Its possible but jeez what would make it sag so? Any history on the truck? Maybe the lift is super old or was constantly overloaded or hammered on. How does it ride? probably very cushy lol

Sound like you may wanna just go new springs and shocks all the way around if/when possible...What size tires you running?

I have stock rear leafs and they dont arch much. Its 2 leafs and leveler spring on a block. I noticed rock auto and a few other sites have various amounts of arch. I think stock is 6 1/2" free arch.

Its been about 6 months since I swapped in the leveling springs, they looked super lifted at first but then settled a bit...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals