• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suspension Idea

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok this just came to me I think it would work. Here is the deal find to tractor front axles and put them on your Ranger.

You would have great articulation with the center pivot point ( kinda like solid axle) put bump stops on the frame to keep it from going to far. The axles should already have hydo steering built in already so steering is no problem. This is for a play toy only but if your state would allow u on the road with it you can add a adjustable shock setup. With the axles having gears that are made for pulling and geared low so crawling wouldn't be a problem as well. So what you guys think am I crazy or am I on to something.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
haha i work for a komatsu dealership and i always check out the front axles for the backhoes but i just dont think they would work for the road. same set up pretty much, but the u joints in the backhoes we have, have smaller u joints then my dana 35

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Very limited road usage. Just mount a "boss" on top of each axle connect that to the frame. you shouldn't need springs or coilovers or anything like that. Get custom driveshafts hook the steering up and your done. The body should not roll that much and all your articulation will come from the center for the front end right below the bumper where the pivot is. Mounting the "bosses" on top the axle and mounting your truck on top of that will give u more ground clearance. O well its just a thought.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i would think you would need coils or leafs, did you ever have one of those machines front ends off the ground? the axle just rocks and floats around.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Like this?

The front end loader i used to run had axles like that, that sucker had some great flex, very minimal body roll

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would think you would need coils or leafs, did you ever have one of those machines front ends off the ground? the axle just rocks and floats around.
Yea i understand that it just floats around but unless you are planning to roll the thing over you should always have at least one front and one rear wheel on the ground at all times. Thanks to Gravity that should not be a problem.

Last edited:

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Like this?

The front end loader i used to run had axles like that, that sucker had some great flex, very minimal body roll
Exactly like that.

prefab08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
clark hurth makes axles with sealed planitarys and intrnal wet disks that so bad ass they use them in mine trucks up here in norther ontario, if you set them up right when your motor dies the brakes lock. the best news about the whole axle is the front has hydralic cylinder with tie rods that could be off a john deer back hoe!! il try and get some picturs up here this weekend. they are just too dam expensive to buy out right.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
clark hurth makes axles with sealed planitarys and intrnal wet disks that so bad ass they use them in mine trucks up here in norther ontario...
Those must be small mine trucks. My trucks use drive axles that weigh as much or more than 10,000lbs...

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What do you plan to do for the rear? Those fronts are allowed to articulate to much because the rear doesn't move AT ALL. I believe for a capable offroad rig, you strive to have near equal articualtion front and rear.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
Why do I feel like I've seen these on some pro rock crawling buggies on Extreme 4x4? Is this true or did I fabricate that image in my head?

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
people use portals and gear reduction hubs all the time. But have you ever driven a truck with no suspension? There is no way you could use that center pivot with out knocking your teeth out.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
people use portals and gear reduction hubs all the time. But have you ever driven a truck with no suspension? There is no way you could use that center pivot with out knocking your teeth out.
Finally! I have no experience with tractors so I didn't want to say anything, but I was pretty sure there wasn't any magic suspension hidden within that joint. I found it funny the title of the thread talked about suspension, yet the idea involved none. I think it would kind of cool personally, and I think portals are totally badass, but could go without driving a truck in which I feel every crack in the pavement.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What do you plan to do for the rear? Those fronts are allowed to articulate to much because the rear doesn't move AT ALL. I believe for a capable offroad rig, you strive to have near equal articualtion front and rear.
Could u just get two fronts that way you would that the option to have rear steer. Your could mount shocks and all on it as well for a smoother ride. but like I said offroad use only.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you used 2 front ends you wouldn't get the truck to stay up, it would just roll to the heaviest side. I don't know how to explain it if you can't visualize it. There would be insane amounts of body roll.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals