• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Surprise?

knucksfirst

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I bought that 1995 ford ranger for $2800. When to pick it up about 2 hours from home and brought it back. Started changing oil, filters and so on. I opened up my airbox and pulled the filter out. The dam thing was dripping with black oil!! I looked inside the airbox and there about an inch of oil and an oil cap from a 1 litre bottle of oil!! WTF?! I have never seen this in my life. I thought it was the pcv valve, but why would there be a cap in there?? So I cleaned it up and stuck a new air filter in there and Ive been checking it all day and its still clean. So someone dumped oil in there?! Since I have been taking oil into my intake does anyone reccomend anything? Maybe something is damaged? It seems to be running fine. Thanks. Ill have some pics up soon. 4" rough country on its way. And 33" BFgoodrich tires. :icon_welder:

knucksfirst

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For those that havent seen the ranger I picked up. Its a 1995 4.0 4X4, its got 134,000kms. If anyone has known issues with the 1995's please feel free to post about it. Here s a picture.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, I've seen dumber things than keeping old oil in the airbox. It might not hurt to have some sort of induction/intake cleaner run through it and to spray the MAF down. Be sure to use actual MAF cleaner, brake cleaner will destroy the sensor.

If you get an induction service make sure it is one that is sprayed into the throttle body, not the kind that gets hooked to the fuel pressure test port.

Might also want to keep an eye out for misfires. The plugs may get fouled if enough oil is in the intake.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Get some Mass aiflow sensor cleaner for your MAF sensor and maybe run some seafoam in the vacuum line to clean up your intake manifold and intake valves. Other than that it shouldn't affect anything.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Maybe it's a 95 thing...when I picked up my 95 sidekick I drove it for a few days and noticed the fuel economy sucked...I checked the air filter and it was coated with what looked like axel grease...I was surprsed it even ran never mind passing emission testing...
I put a new air filter in and it was much better...but I didn't have to clean anything up...

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
:icon_rofl: somebody probably told the original owners that oil or grease in the airbox would "catch" more dust than the air filter would

(you know....kinda like the ancient oil bath air cleaners of the 1940s & '50s)

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably keeping a spare quart in the air cleaner if it would fit.Didn't get the cap on tight.I brought my truck home after buying it last year and had a big old rats nest in the air cleaner.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals