• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Surge at idle when cold

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Lately, my engine has been surging at bit at idle before fully warm. No codes. Runs well after heat-up. IAC valve?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Very likely.

Unplug its connector while it's happening, see if there is any change.
No change = bad IAC.

You should also see how it acts with Heat/AC control in the OFF position to rule out normal AC compressor clutch cycling (which affects the idle).

dan's ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter six
Transmission
Automatic
I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but I have the exact problem with my 92. I intend to check into the IAC valve.
My question is this, since I don't have a garage and it is cold outside, can I just live with the problem until it warms up this spring, or should I deal with this now? Will the valve go bad and strand me somewhere? It runs and idles great, once the truck warms up a bit, and I can live with this the way it is for a while. p.s. this truck is not a daily driver, just use it 2 or 3 times a week.

Dan

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On my 97, the IAC is as easy as it gets to service – directly on top of the intake manifold. Just remove the plastic linkage cover first by popping out the plastic clips (be careful not to break).
I took mine off to clean this past weekend and after 120K, it was still very clean. There wasn’t any caking or build-up at all. I sprayed some carburetor cleaner into it anyway to remove the light film of carbon.
I have not noticed any improvement in idle since it wasn’t dirty to begin with.
Another word of caution – be careful with the gasket, as it can be brittle. Mine was and I will replace soon.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
by all means clean it or change it, mine jumped to 4000 rpm and stayed there going down the road, not good, had to disconnect it and idle w/ my foot at red lights til i could get to autozoo, its a potential safety hazard!

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A new IAC is about $50 - $100, depending on brand and store. I guess it is cheap insurance compared to being stranded. It does not hurt to replace, especiall if the engine has 100K+ miles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals