• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

suprized i didnt blow it up

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
suprised i didnt blow it up

we here in ny snows coming down and the truck grim reapers are out. so i decided to put my "beater" truck on the road. 99 ranger. 4.0 motor is out of my 99 blue truck dd. i swapped the blue one to a SOHC. well i got it on the road 2 weeks ago. its been great. smooth shifts good. couple days ago the oil pressure gauge was acting funky.... bouncing all around and the "check" gauge light would come on.. checked oil dip stick looked good. figured faulty sender. my ole mans explorer did this with the sender . so i ran it a couple days like this no biggie.. well its getting down to the teens and 20s at night first start up i hear a wicked loud knock... notorious lifter tick.. :annoyed: no big deal. been there done that. once it warms up it went way so i figured a dirty lifter. motor had 1k on its oil change since i took it of my blue one.. full syn so i didn't bother to change it when i swapped it to this truck. so i put it up on jack stand. drain filter, and oil......... ummm yea maybe a quart of oil if that.. 8 oz was seafoam..:icon_confused: WHERE DID IT ALL GO!:shok: no leaks, and exhaust doesnt smell oily... valve stem seals are NEW heads are new, intake gaskets are new. fresh oil.. no tick.... and gauge isnt faulty... haha it was doing what it was intended to do.. now the needle is under the little nub.. it did this once 2 years ago when i originally put the new heads on. valve stem seals were all floated i canged them all out with the felpro ones and haven't had a problem yet. i must say i was impressed.. i beat it around for 4-5 days.. i got lucky..

Last edited:

Chris_North

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's very unusual. If it lost that much oil I would expect significant puddle where you usually park or a cloud of white smoke every time you stepped on the gas.

That OP dummy gauge is bull. I have had a supplementary real oil pressure gauge installed ever since I found out what the stock one was. Ugly ones can be had for pretty cheap, and expensive ones aren't that outrageous...

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
Ya I know about the gauge. When I had this motor in my blue one I had a gauge on it.... I was scared at idle because it would read 0-1 for psi haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals