• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Support the REPAIR Act

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
John Deere has been claiming on newer equipment its electronics are proprietary and it retains ownership of the software. It's the same model as some computer software companies have been using. Even though you bought the tractor, you still don't own its operating software.

If this act helps address that nonsense, I'm all for it.

The Japanese companies in general, not just Subaru, have generally made service manuals hard to get for outsiders. You can often get parts manuals, but service manuals are scarce.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The way you spend your hard earned dollars on a vehicle will make more impact than any bill you could vote on.

The simple answer is to not buy their products... problem solved.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
... so nobody at the dealer knows how to fix it?
Thats so sad but true.

They know how to remap an ECM but ask them to rebuild a carb they would be lost. But i guess they dont need to know that stuff.

Alot of techs ive talked to dont even really seem to be "car guys"...just guys who know how to use fancy diagnostic tools and pull the trigger on air tools.

Not meant to be an insult

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
John Deere has been claiming on newer equipment its electronics are proprietary and it retains ownership of the software. It's the same model as some computer software companies have been using. Even though you bought the tractor, you still don't own its operating software.

The Japanese companies in general, not just Subaru, have generally made service manuals hard to get for outsiders. You can often get parts manuals, but service manuals are scarce.
Ive heard john deere and probably others do that stuff to keep farmers from disableing/bypassing safety and emission systems when one fails when they are trying to get work done.

Cause i can tell you if i was a farmer trying to bring in 100acres of corn before a rainstorm and my combine died mid field because of some stupid safety switch id be snipping wires quickly.

I still think its wrong. Its your tractor.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?

In my opinion, they figure anyone who paid money for their product is a sucker and they'll swallow anything. Toyota blamed their "unintended acceleration" on their customers being too stupid to pull the floor mats out from under the gas pedal- and no one was offended.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
In my opinion, they figure anyone who paid money for their product is a sucker and they'll swallow anything. Toyota blamed their "unintended acceleration" on their customers being too stupid to pull the floor mats out from under the gas pedal- and no one was offended.
The DOT and NASA agreed with them.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Thats so sad but true.

They know how to remap an ECM but ask them to rebuild a carb they would be lost. But i guess they dont need to know that stuff.

Alot of techs ive talked to dont even really seem to be "car guys"...just guys who know how to use fancy diagnostic tools and pull the trigger on air tools.

Not meant to be an insult
They don't know how to rebuild carbs because the last Ford to have one was an 87 F truck with a 351 or 460- 35 years ago. When I started in 1975 I didn't know you had to grind the end of the valve stems on a 1940 flathead to adjust the valves.
The "fancy diagnostic tools" are just tools, they don't pinpoint the problem, they tell the tech where to begin his pinpoint testing. People who have watched the gibronis at Autozone use their scanner haven't seen actual diagnosis.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
The DOT and NASA agreed with them.
Having NASA spend tax dollars to help Toyota was a crime and ineffective. If they really wanted to locate the failure, they should have found some guys with saggy pants who drove cars with fart mufflers, they mess with Japanese electronic engine controls every day.
A floor mat will not cause a car sitting idling at a stop sign to suddenly go WOT.
So, two government agencies have confirmed that Toyota drivers are stupid, that seems a little harsh- brainwashed and gullible maybe.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Let's see...

We have two (US) government agencies that spent nearly a year studying a problem to find the root cause.

Or we have grumpy old man with a history of prejudice shaking his fist about crime and conspiracies.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Happy Halloween!!!

1666538592574.png

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ive heard john deere and probably others do that stuff to keep farmers from disabling/bypassing safety and emission systems when one fails when they are trying to get work done.

Cause i can tell you if I was a farmer trying to bring in 100acres of corn before a rainstorm and my combine died mid field because of some stupid safety switch id be snipping wires quickly.
Unfortunately, we live in a litigious society.
When a farmer gets hurt/killed because they operated the equipment without the safety shield in place, JD gets sued. So JD is only protecting themselves.​
I watched a brand spanking new 8820 blow the feeder off the combine after the farmer plugged it and when the feeder reverse wouldn't unload it at the idle setting, he over rode the safety setting and attempted to reverse at full power. Instead of shutting down the machine and digging it out, a $1/4 million machine was basically ruined. Do you blame JD?​
Several friend's dads were missing fingers/thumbs because of impatience.​
When end user's bypass emissions controls, the gov't doesn't go after the individual farmer, they go after JD.​

On other hand, I resent @19Walt93 referring to my dad's independent garage as a hack shop. Similar to @85_Ranger4x4's dad, mine made a good living fixing generation older cars.
Local dealerships wouldn't touch anything over 10 years old; hell, it was hard to get them to touch anything off warranty.​
There was always a parking lot full of cars waiting for us to repair - you don't have that sort of business, in a small town, if you aren't doing good work.​
I still get cars dropping by - I'm one of few who still has tools and knowledge to work on carbs, points and condenser.​
And I still hate changing rear tractor tires.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
When a farmer gets hurt/killed because they operated the equipment without the safety shield in place, JD gets sued. So JD is only protecting themselves.​
I watched a brand spanking new 8820 blow the feeder off the combine after the farmer plugged it and when the feeder reverse wouldn't unload it at the idle setting, he over rode the safety setting and attempted to reverse at full power. Instead of shutting down the machine and digging it out, a $1/4 million machine was basically ruined. Do you blame JD?​
Several friend's dads were missing fingers/thumbs because of impatience.​
When end user's bypass emissions controls, the gov't doesn't go after the individual farmer, they go after JD.​

On other hand, I resent @19Walt93 referring to my dad's independent garage as a hack shop. Similar to @85_Ranger4x4's dad, mine made a good living fixing generation older cars.
Local dealerships wouldn't touch anything over 10 years old; hell, it was hard to get them to touch anything off warranty.​
There was always a parking lot full of cars waiting for us to repair - you don't have that sort of business, in a small town, if you aren't doing good work.​
I still get cars dropping by - I'm one of few who still has tools and knowledge to work on carbs, points and condenser.​
And I still hate changing rear tractor tires.
No offense intended, I call flat rate dealers hack shops because if a tech takes the time to do it right, the dealer effectively takes it out of his pay.
As I said, there are competent independents, too, along with the ones who shouldn't be in business.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When a farmer gets hurt/killed because they operated the equipment without the safety shield in place, JD gets sued. So JD is only protecting themselves.

I watched a brand spanking new 8820 blow the feeder off the combine after the farmer plugged it and when the feeder reverse wouldn't unload it at the idle setting, he over rode the safety setting and attempted to reverse at full power. Instead of shutting down the machine and digging it out, a $1/4 million machine was basically ruined. Do you blame JD?
Operator error isn't Deere's worry, they will be happy to sell you parts to repair it.

A couple years ago we had a guy tear out the reverser on his 9500. He had a bunch of trees cut down in a fencerow and never got around to picking them up. A 8" log got jammed in his feederhouse and he couldn't eject it.

Year before he forgot to bolt his platform on and backed up with it down (double no-no) and backed out of the platform while he was picking soybeans. He dramatically ripped the drives apart on the thing.

He is... entertaining.

Bypassing safety equipment isn't the OEM's problem as long as they make it somewhat not super easy to do. I can go buy a brand new 450hp Mustang GT, buy a Ford Performance kit to bump it out to 750hp that is 50 state legal and warranty friendly which probably deletes the speed limiter... but I people get bent out of shape over a seat safety switch or something minor like that?

It is just BS to keep the software in their hands only.

Like 5 years ago we had a guy his tractor would kick down to idle and the trans to neutral going down the road. Had Deere come out twice, they poked around and replaced a couple modules. All they accomplished was make it do it in the field too. He would have to shut it off and restart it to get it to go again which made him rather annoyed. Without all the wizardry a Deere tech has dad was leary to take it on. The 8000 series tractors have the throttle and transmission controls in the right armrest like the USS Enterprise space ship and the seat swivels... dad tore into and the wires for the seat harness had chafed and the tractor thought he was getting out of the seat was his problem all along.

Last year my wife's car had a CEL and a dead miss while we were in Omaha. We were close so I swung into Harbor Freight and snagged a code reader to see if it was like "starboard deflector out of a alignment" or "main reactor failure immanent"

My $27.99 code reader said trouble code for #2 injector. Easy fix.

With Deere, either schedule a service call or call a semi truck to haul it into town. A code reader does not exist. They do have a little code thing you can look up in a chart and will say "call dealer at earliest convenience" or "Call dealer immediately" They have no problem selling you the parts, 60% of a dealers parts sales are over the counter. It is really a pretty good gig because: A) $300 will get a service truck to your place, per hour after that. Bring lube if after hours. B) Either drive it or truck it to town C) Fire up the parts cannon and try to fix it yourself.

PMitchell08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure what a service manager would be deciding for you. A service manager or advisor is supposed to explain what's needed to your satisfaction so you can decide what work will be done.
Under the current system, the service manager will simply say "it's is a service that requires specialized tools and procedures that only dealerships have." I agree with you on what they're supposed to do, but do you really believe an average one does that?
Many independents don't spend anything on training and nearly all use aftermarket scan tools- many set up to display the tool's "best guess" about the failure instead of a list of DTCs that would require a tech to pinpoint the problem. There are a handful of decent independents around here but they're in the minority.
I understand that this is your anecdotal experience over a long career, but even your vast number of customers, jobs, and employees are not representative of the entire field nationwide. Things vary dramatically from one shop to the next, and my anecdotal experience (also not representative of any larger trend) is completely the opposite of yours. It seems to me that all of the dealership shops are living off of your narrative that they are the only ones who know what they're doing, so much so that they've stopped bothering to know what they're doing. I recently had a dealership service manager and his technician tell me that it was completely normal for my vehicle that is under warranty to fail to start on the first try when it's cold, that this was not an indication of a problem. They both stood there an looked me in the eye and just expected me to accept that. A simple forum search reveals that this is a common issue solved by an ECU update that was released shortly after the version that my vehicle had. Every time I've visited a dealer shop I've had the unpleasant experience of being talked down to by a tech who somehow knows less than I do, it's not a good spot to be in. I don't want to be a know-it-all prick who challenges everyone in the shop, I just want to talk to somebody who wasn't sleeping during the training, or who actually looks for TSB's before before dismissing my concern, unfortunately it seems all of those guys recently retired, or got promoted out of the service bay.
The most talented tech working without up to date information is going to struggle.
You are exactly right! That is why everyone should have access to the most up to date information.
We often fixed vehicles that had been to independents multiple times with no results, no one ever came back or called to tell me they had someone else straighten out our work.
I've had exactly the opposite experience, things vary, that's why it's good for people to have options.
I can see 19Walt93’s side of it just because I’m a professional mechanic of sorts myself but the other side as well as a private vehicle owner that has seen hack job work from independent shops as well as dealerships. Some independent garages are opened up by former dealership techs and do great work and I’ve seen dealerships with trained techs that do poor work that even the most basically trained mechanic would know better not to do.
In any case, I feel everyone should have access to the same information and ability to repair their vehicles and equipment. Stuff like what John Deer is doing is near criminal.
👏👏👏
It seems everyone knows the John Deere story and agrees that it's wrong, but some don't realize the way the same problem is slowly but surely spilling over into the automotive industry.
The way you spend your hard earned dollars on a vehicle will make more impact than any bill you could vote on.

The simple answer is to not buy their products... problem solved.
Customers who look at the serviceability of their vehicles in making a purchase decision are an incredibly small minority, they wouldn't move the needle in the slightest if they all left a given manufacturer and went elsewhere. In fact, it could be looked at as a good thing for the manufacturer because those are the type of customers who pay attention when their dealership does hack work or lies to them, or when their vehicle has an issue that should be covered under warranty. Knowledgeable customers are more likely to be difficult customers, they're the type of people who get on forums and let others know about widespread but little-known problems, resulting in a larger number of costly warranty claims that could have otherwise gone unnoticed by the customers until they turned into profitable out-of-warranty repairs; The manufacturers would be happy to be rid of the service manual buying crowd. Market forces are what's pushing the manufacturers toward limiting availability of information.
Thats so sad but true.
Knowing how to rebuild a carburetor is not a useful or relevant skill for an automotive tech to have in 2022, unless it is a specialist vintage shop. It would be like a tech at Verizon knowing how to re-spring a rotary dial, useful to somebody, but not exactly a resúmé builder.
Even if we did live in an unfortunately litigious society, how would denying anyone access to a service manual stop them from suing the manufacturer? Couldn't the same litigious boogeyman sue John Deere for failing to provide access to adequate documentation, resulting in their failed service or improper use? Nothing about any of the anecdotes that you mentioned would be helped by denying access to information. In fact, in those lawsuits the manufacturers would have a much stronger defense because they can easily show that the customer failed to adhere to the procedures outlined in the readily-available documentation. This isn't about protecting oneself from unscrupulous farmers looking to cash in with a big lawsuit, this is about extracting maximum after-sales profits from industrious customers who otherwise would have taken care of their own equipment.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals